Building an ultimate low power class A amplifier – my way

I would say that is the Soft Start pcb feeding mains to the transformer.

Vunce, Looking at the Wago terminals, I assume the splicing connectors (221-412 for the 2 way) are electrically connected across the 2 poles?

Also, for the mounting carrier (221-500), how many 2 way splicing connectors will it accommodate?

Keep up the great work, you are an inspiration around here.;)

Joined 2019
Paid Member
I doubt that observation of bass without punch has anything to do with JFETs. It is rather the whole amplifier design. Bass definition could be affected by frequency response and damping factor. Loudspeaker excursion control in the LF range is more controlled by box design than by DF. There is also a counterintuitive effect that amplifier with a very low DF and certain loudspeaker boxes, could have more bass as LF driver is not well controlled.

Anyway, this amplifier has absolutely ridiculous DF of 1300 in the LF region. I had to arrange a special measurement setup to be able to precisely measure that.
Mind you, above DF of 200, any measurable effects, even with loudspeakers impedance dipping very low, are far beyond audibility.

Now, a short answer to your question. :)
Bass is very well defined. After moving test amplifier from improvised to final build, it was like subwoofer was added. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Another piece of the puzzle is completed…..rear panel.
Maybe, finally time for some wiring!:spin:

Attachments

• IMG_1587.jpeg
    IMG_1587.jpeg
    430.4 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1588.jpeg
    IMG_1588.jpeg
    468.9 KB · Views: 113
Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2018
Paid Member
Interesting project and I eagerly await others opinions.
Out of interest I just put the gerbers into JLCPCB. 10 boards are only a marginally more expensive than the minimum of 5.
Yes sorry I suppose I didn't word that very well.....there's the hefty engineering fee I guess for the 4 layer. 5 boards totalled £23 and 10 was £27. Shipping only a couple £ more