Building an ultimate low power class A amplifier – my way

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Well, sort of…
A proper chassis is by far the most costly part of an amp project. It’s not possible for me to buy a chassis for every build. My plank amps are actually quite nice, but I do have a few in completed chassis’s.
Even when those amps are in rotation I still pop the lid, the insides are much more interesting to look at. Plus, it’s very easy for a quick tweak as I pass by😁

Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2014
Paid Member
I ordered a custom Toroidy.
Audio grade 300VA
Pri: 120V
Sec: 4 x 15V5

After I built the psu w/R21 modules and tested with a 250mA dummy load, the decision to increase the trafo secondaries from 14V to 15V5 was made. Since this build is voltage regulated, I'd rather have a few volts to spare and deal with potential increased heat than be under powered.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2019
Paid Member
the decision to increase the trafo secondaries from 14V to 15V5 was made
:oops:
You forgot that first 2.5 seconds regulators forward full input voltage. 14.5 V transformers were perfect. With 15.5 V secondaries and 300 VA audio grade Toroidy, you will get 21 V at start. OPA828 is specified for +/- 20 V operation, so short +/- 21 V supply is not a problem.

However, there is no reason to have 3.5 V drop on regulators. They provide full performance with only 0.3 V headroom. Only if mains voltage variation in your area is larger than -10%, then it would make sense to use 15.5 V secondaries.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
What sound card do you use to have -180db floor level?
It is Cosmos ADCiso which has floor about -165 dB. Additional 15 dB is added to any sound card using REW option “coherent averaging”. For correct distortion numbers with coherent averaging, you have to use either latest beta build or use “show phase of harmonics” along with coherent averaging for older REW versions.

Reactions: 1 users
@tombo56

Thank you for the design, I’ve been lurking on the sidelines…

Can the builder pluck R7, R8 and use a tightly regulated +/- 15V supply for the opamp while using a well filtered (higher voltage bipolar supply, i.e. +/- 25 to +/- 35V) for the driver and output stage? As long as heatsink calculations are considered due to higher dissipation by the ECW Laterals, this should be possible, correct?

Best,
Anand

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Yes, it would be fine regarding any supply voltage and max. allowed opamp supply. But, it would not allow higher output power than with 19 – 20 V. Output stage is diamond buffer which is input follower. OPA828 max. output voltage is its supply -1 V. We can have about 11 Vrms or 15-16 W/8Ω.

Additional rail voltage also reduces distortion at max power as ECW there need some 2-3 V Vgs for required output currents.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks tombo! So I will limit voltage rails to +/-24V for the driver/output stage since there is no benefit in output power due to the design topology and max swing the OPA828 can provide. I’m sure if I want, a regulated +/- 24V for the driver/output stage will also be of benefit since rail sagging won’t occur at max output power either.

Now I understand why you designed it this way!

Best,
Anand.