Building an ultimate low power class A amplifier – my way

Hmm. Did you understand first post as my claim that this is THE ultimate amplifier (best in the world)? If so, read again please.

I wouldn’t like that any subjective vs. objective discussion enter this thread. What I listened to in my home (or not) wouldn’t change what I’m able to design even if knowing that something could be better. There are limits and compromises.

Technically (by numbers) this amplifier is mighty fine. My subjective description is actually toned down as my opinion and impressions doesn’t count much (possible bias).
After other members build this amplifier, we will know more for sure.
Fair enough , I like the attitude and reasoning. I am too only interested in " best in the world " and don't want to waste my time on anything less .

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Yes, I'm going to give Tombo's "R21" a try with this build. Also will be using active rectification, this should offset most of the voltage drop from "R21".
Antek Transformers have gone up in price significantly in the past year, so the difference in cost compared to a custom wound Toroidy is not as great as it once was.... deep thought here:scratch1:

Good one Vunce, I will also use Prasi's active rect boards, then to CRC then to +/- reg to give me +/-18VDC to amp pcb's So I am thinking 18VAC secondaries as I need about 4 volts across the regs. Still deciding whether to go dual mono for the PSU.

Just checked and I do have 2 toroids that will suffice.

I have 2 of each of the active rectifier, CRC and +/-reg supply boards done- will start on the amp pcb's early new year - along with the F6 revisited diamond buffer / dual SLB's.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Made some power supply progress this weekend, 22mF first cap, 47mF second cap.
Next step: build “R21” modules.

Attachments

• IMG_1365.jpeg
    IMG_1365.jpeg
    747.1 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_1366.jpeg
    IMG_1366.jpeg
    637.8 KB · Views: 217
Reactions: 5 users
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Thanks G.
Paste, hotplate from bottom, hot air from top. This method ensures the MSOP12 belly pad is soldered.

Mosfets - IPP029N06N

There was a time when the LT4320 in MSOP12 package was about half the price of the DIP8 version, I stocked up on them. But now the prices are basically equal☹️

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Made some power supply progress this weekend, 22mF first cap, 47mF second cap.
Next step: build “R21” modules.
I see superb soldering at every PCB position. More than well done. :)
Big output capacitors are not required with R21 voltage regulators but they don’t hurt either. In fact, they help a little with PSRR at very high frequencies. In my build output capacitors are 10 mF. They are big because of long life (13.000 h) & 63V properties.

I believe you have a Quasimodo jig. Don’t bother with snubbers in case of active rectification. I’ve measured a lot and ringing is practically nonexistent (10 -100 times lower than with diode bridges). Nothing to measure as induced noise at PS output or amplifier circuit.

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2014
Paid Member
I can swap the tall caps for another pair of 22mF instead, they are not visually appealing 😂. I plan to add a 120uF motor run PP cap at each ps output rail (4 total).

Cleaning the flux residue will make anyones soldering look better😁.

Tombo,
Reading/researching about active rectification supports your real measured findings with regards to not requiring snubbers, so I don’t populate them.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
I can swap the tall caps for another pair of 22mF instead, they are not visually appealing 😂.
When amplifier lid is closed, it doesn’t matter but will it ever be closed? Mine still isn’t. :D

You’ve approached PS build as it will be a standard CRC. With voltage regulators rules are different.
22 mF at output is fine. Another option is to swap capacitor positions and put 47 mF as a first reservoir cap. R21 voltage regulators actually don’t require any capacitance at output for stability and their output impedance is 40 uΩ at 20 kHz. In example, here is R21 output under transient load with no capacitance at output (well, there is likely 100 pF parasitic capacitance). Yellow is regulator output and blue trace is voltage measured at active load 0.085 Ω, so transient load is 5 A peak half sine repeated at 20 kHz rate.

Look ma.gif

Don’t bother with motor-run capacitors. Amplifier has all the decoupling capacity required and motor-run capacitors will have no effect. Amplifier will provide perfect 100 kHz, +/-15 V square wave response with no ringing or overshot even with simple CRC power supply.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Some points about PS are at post #35.
In general, if using two prasi’s CRC boards with active rectifiers, you need two 2 x 12 V to 2 x 13 V, 120 – 150 VA transformers or one 300 VA with 4 secondaries.
With one PS board for both channels, you need 2 x 14 V, 250 – 300 VA transformer. Small overvoltage can be mitigated as explained in post #35.