CFA Topology Audio Amplifiers

Don't know. I have measured some of the Halo power amps from years ago (granted perhaps not his SOTA affort) and they have too much thd at higher audio freqs.

How would you make a very low distortion high power IGBT with discretes?

And, Which n/p compliments for driver fets? ... below and above 100W.

Thx-RNMarsh

If I remember correct ...IRF9640/640 as driver , with gate protection zener/diodes...
and standard MJLxxxx as OP. Multiple pair OP can be used.
Simulates the same as a renesas IGBT.
The REAL igbt (renesas) is more optimized with a much lower Vsat ..
protection diodes would still be needed.

Renesas Electronics 7th-Generation 650V and 1250V IGBT Series sets a new technology benchmark enabling high efficiency solutions | Renesas Electronics

This device can take 10 m/sec. short circuit conditions , MJLxxxx in the
"fake IGBT" would be toast at this point.
I would try this for a LF amplifier application .... standard EF2/3 are
much better in the HF arena.

OS

It is hard to find suitable MOSFET for VAS duty (good combination of Ci and fT and may be RdsOn), especially a matched push-pull pair. I have used the ZVN part as in JLH amp and Fetzilla, IRF510(?) as in Ayre V3, but I have no access to the newer Toshiba hexfet. I think the ZVN is the best part available. There's a thread where I posted a list of MOSFET suitable for VAS duty.

I've used ZVN3310 and ZVP3310 devices in a similar role in the past and they have worked well. As always with N and P channel FETs, the matching may not be good enough for what you want.

I've successfully worked on a design in simulation using Lateral FET's for normal demands and Vertical FET's running at zero standing bias for when the going gets tough. It was based on idea I put forward some years ago and relies on the Vgs properties of the different technologies.

These show the basic idea and the actual currents in each device in a CFP stage together with the load current. The lateral FET's max out at 6 amps (green) with the verticals taking over from that point as the loading becomes more severe (blue).

Neat idea. I've just being doing some TINA simulations using a BUZ901 and an IRF540. Looks as if using the vertical MOSFET (in class-C) in parallel with the lateral is a very workable concept.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
You guys are great! Sharing all your ideas and best efforts. Great stuff! OStripper, looks like a new OPS is in the making to add to your CFA Face-off. :) We all benefit from everyone's interaction and cross-pollination of ideas and experiences. I have to do some thinking now.... meanwhile, got to go to an old geezers birthday (80th) now. Be back soon. Hope I dont miss something.

Thx-RNMarsh

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Neat idea.

Cheers,
Bob

Neat idea. I've just being doing some TINA simulations using a BUZ901 and an IRF540. Looks as if using the vertical MOSFET (in class-C) in parallel with the lateral is a very workable concept.

Thanks :) And it might even qualify as a CFB design. Did you ever decide whether feedback applied to an emitter of the input stage was CFB or not ?

If you did I can post the design.

Attachments

• FB.png
    FB.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 408
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
The EF2 for powers of up to 100 W is not a rule- just a guideline. For a 200 W EF2 amplifier, typically you would see 4 or 5 output devices and a driver stage. Into a worst case load of 3 Ohms, you would see a significant increase in distortion, and into 4 ohms, more than most designers would consider acceptable.

You've used many OP devices in parallel, and you've paralleled your VAS devices. This as you probably know means that for the most part, the OP devices operate where the hFE vs IC is high, helping to keep the distortion low. With the doubled up VAS devices, each device operates over a narrower IC range, and narrower hFE range also helping with distortion (same of course applies to the output stage).

The techniques you have used thus also achieve low distortion. The other option here would be an EF3, where with you design I would expect a further 10 to 20 dB reduction in distortion i.e 1-2 ppm range. However, chasing numbers this low is wasted effort in my view.

However, your amplifier looks like a very nice design - congratulations!

Last edited:
Is this your opinion only or exists there detailed technical details? Maybe you are able to provide us some links or references?
This amplifier easily delivers > 220W 8R and > 440 4R using a 2EF bjt ops and has a very good low distortion performance.

BR, Toni

Hi Toni,

Nice work and results in that design. 2EF designs can provide good performance, but are much more vulnerable to beta droop and ft droop. Even in somewhat lower-power designs, I generally believe that a Triple is a more cost-effective way to get high performance under a wider variety of conditions, such as high current into low-impedance loads. In lower-power amplifier designs, where SOA considerations might allow as little as one output pair, it is more cost-effective to add the pre-driver to make a Triple than to add more output devices just to avoid problems with beta droop and ft droop.

So there is no hard and fast rule, just a range of preferences. Self has historically preferred 2EF, while I have usually preferred Triples. Both can yield good performance. Self achieved his so-called load invariance by paralleling output devices, I achieved it by going straight to a Triple.

Cheers,
Bob

I simulate my triples at 2R . Even as I never expect this , I'll get "anal" and
go for 1 or lower. Just a slightly larger "suckout" cap at the driver stage.

On a different tangent , anyone ever tried a class A OP on a CFA ?

Here is one (below) that is quite promising. H2 only and total THD20 about
as low as my standard EF3 (w -gnfb).

OS

Attachments

• strangeOPS.jpg
    strangeOPS.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 419
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Ostripper, I also sim at 2 ohms - I don't think it's anal, just good engineering :)

Your approach above looks very interesting - I'll need to have a play with that.

For another class A CFA, you can look here Ovation sx-Amplifier: A 15 W class A Amplifier

15 W but great for classical and jazz and it drives my 89 dB speakers. The bias arrangement may be of interest.

Interesting you ask the question because I am just looking at this for a high power class A using output stage a la NP F5 with sx/nx front end sans VAS stage.

Last edited:
Ostripper, I also sim at 2 ohms - I don't think it's anal, just good engineering :)

Your approach above looks very interesting - I'll need to have a play with that.

For another class A CFA, you can look here Ovation sx-Amplifier: A 15 W class A Amplifier

15 W but great for classical and jazz and it drives my 89 dB speakers. The bias arrangement may be of interest.

Interesting you ask the question because I am just looking at this for a high power class A using output stage a la NP F5 with sx/nx front end sans VAS stage.

With the above values , 4 pairs would be good. I have this running 80V p-p,
not quite the "power hog" as the genesis class A OPS.

Nice thing is that ALL the THD residual is H2.
PS - this "alien" OP negates itself thermally ... the MJE's offset the NJW's nearly perfectly.
OS

Attachments

• strangeOPSplot.jpg
    strangeOPSplot.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
The techniques you have used thus also achieve low distortion. The other option here would be an EF3, where with you design I would expect a further 10 to 20 dB reduction in distortion i.e 1-2 ppm range. However, chasing numbers this low is wasted effort in my view.
However, your amplifier looks like a very nice design - congratulations!

Thanks! Think it's worth a try using the current input stage/doubled VAS driving a 3EF ...

Hi Toni,

Nice work and results in that design. 2EF designs can provide good performance, but are much more vulnerable to beta droop and ft droop. Even in somewhat lower-power designs, I generally believe that a Triple is a more cost-effective way to get high performance under a wider variety of conditions, such as high current into low-impedance loads. In lower-power amplifier designs, where SOA considerations might allow as little as one output pair, it is more cost-effective to add the pre-driver to make a Triple than to add more output devices just to avoid problems with beta droop and ft droop.

So there is no hard and fast rule, just a range of preferences. Self has historically preferred 2EF, while I have usually preferred Triples. Both can yield good performance. Self achieved his so-called load invariance by paralleling output devices, I achieved it by going straight to a Triple.

Cheers,
Bob

Thank you and thanks for clarification! Simulation of 3EF shows indeed an increase in THD performance e.g. using 2.5R compared to 8R load hence better load invariance. But square wave simulation also showed more signs of instability / oscillations...
Maybe in real world designs we lose performance getting a 3EF ops stable compared to a 2EF ops? (Of course using the same input/VAS stage)

BR, Toni

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I simulate my triples at 2R . Even as I never expect this , I'll get "anal" and
go for 1 or lower. Just a slightly larger "suckout" cap at the driver stage.

On a different tangent , anyone ever tried a class A OP on a CFA ?

Here is one (below) that is quite promising. H2 only and total THD20 about
as low as my standard EF3 (w -gnfb).

OS

Could this have both lat and vert fets used in it?

Thx-RNMarsh

Thanks! Think it's worth a try using the current input stage/doubled VAS driving a 3EF ...

Thank you and thanks for clarification! Simulation of 3EF shows indeed an increase in THD performance e.g. using 2.5R compared to 8R load hence better load invariance. But square wave simulation also showed more signs of instability / oscillations...
Maybe in real world designs we lose performance getting a 3EF ops stable compared to a 2EF ops? (Of course using the same input/VAS stage)

BR, Toni
no oscillations ??

triple (below 1) puts out wave (below 2) into 1u/2r load.
I can't get this triple to oscillate - whatever I do !

20 different input stages - the OPS NEVER misbehaves ....

OS

Attachments

• EF3.jpg
    EF3.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 323
  • VFASW.jpg
    VFASW.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 321