Classic Aleph Amplifier for Modern UMS Chassis Builder's Thread

Joined 2002
Paid Member
There's a huge difference between line arrays and point sources such as my EKTA-25's. But not in a bad way. I'm not an eloquent writer so I'll keep it brief. My new EKTA-25's (which I'm still getting use to) are very well balanced and musical and I can find no flaws. I'll certainly need more time with them but I've only noticed one specific difference so far. The line arrays present a sound stage where you feel that the performer is centered and a certain distance from you. The EKTA's do that but to a much lesser degree.

That's all for now.

Regards,
Dan

Joined 2002
Paid Member
My line arrays are Linus III's designed by Rick Craig of Selah Audio. The construction was completely done by myself. I found them badly in need of a 'house curve' so I took them active. The lower drivers are currently driven by a DIY VFET2. The tweeters are driven by an M2x. And I have the DIY sub as well.

The Aleph 30 is currently driving the EKTA-25's (pictured in front) which you may or may not know is one of Troels Graveson kits.

Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Is it fine to use this wiring for dual mono application with two 230VAC primary transformers?

Note that in many european countries you do not have polar mains plugs and do not know which one is going to be the live and which one the neutral.

230VAC.png

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Nice!

I should also point out that a fuse before each transformer was omitted in the sketch for simplicity but should not be skipped in the build. I will probably also use one larger fuse at the main side (since a fuse holder is included in the IEC module).

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I'm not an eloquent writer so I won't offer you any number of flowing adjectives of how my Aleph 30 sounds in my system.
Since what sounds good or bad is very subjective and a function of room and other equipment I'm going to take a more pragmatic approach.
I'd to thank Randy for the incredible amount of work (along with Father Pass's blessing) he put into resurrecting the Aleph legend and putting it within easy reach of the DIY community. Along with others I absolutely love my Aleph and couldn't recommend it more highly to anyone considering an amplifier project that seems to be universally adored.

Once again, many thanks to Randy and others that contribute so much to our DIY community.

Regards,
Dan :cheers:

Reactions: 7 users
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Dan-

Let me help you.... I've been reading High End magazines for a while.... so I sort of know what they write... ;-)

My Alephs exhibit exhilaring microdynamics with wondrous macrodynamics and a sweetness of tone that puts Micheal Fremer out of adjectives and even tone adverbs.

The also render the tonality of the bodies of wooden instruments with a supremely tonality that clearly describes whether they were built by German elves in the Dark Forest or crafted by Northern Italians with Cypress of Rome or shaped by West Coast hippies in San Luis Obispo County Coast Red Woods.... I can even detect whether power tools or hand tools were used... indeed, I believe I can tell if they were plugged in or battery tools: Black and Decker batteries leave a memory distortion in the wood grain that exhibits a trace of glare for the french bassoons and violas.

The tonality of the brass is described in all of its metallic hardness but without a hint of clinical soundstaging and chromatic accuracy that is night perfect: you can tell whether they were serving Spanish Cava or French Champagne at the bar in the lobby.

The soundstaging is precise and non pareil... you can discern whether it was a rainy day or sunny at the park across the street... and what kind of wax, if any, was used to polish the back orchestra wall. And, whether there's a Fat Lady ready to sing on row O, seat 22.

Indeed, in some recordings made in the 50s but The Great Masters In NYC, I can discern the type of subways cars that went under the orchestra during the pianissimos, but not the crescendos... Unless it is Phillip Glass, naturally.

And that's just the Aleph 5... the Aleph 2 will take me a few more dozen adjectives... so I need to research the thesaurus for that. More on that anon.

Now, the F4.... well, if an amplifier has no sound in the forest....

Ditto (*) about Randy. BTW, that's not an Aleph in the picture... :)

(*) Hedley Lamarr: "Ditto"? "Ditto," you provincial putz?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2018
Paid Member
I was just thinking about input pair rolling yesterday. I have vishay, Harris/Fairchild, FQP’s, some Toshibas, and now I have Samsung 9610’s inbound to me. I’d love to play around with this concept.

Is there a socket that works for to220’s?

I’m going to rebuild my aleph 30 monos this year using the new boards with c20/21. I was planning to use some NOS Harris IRFP240s. Why? Because I have them. And why not? And I’ll install sockets for front end rolling if I can find them.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Randy,
I’ve used these in builds for swapping TO-220 transistors. Most recently in ra7’s SCG preamp. Just cut the strip to size. Its a tight fit, but works.
Tons of choices on Amazon:

Chanzon Pin Header Strip for Arduino Gpio 20pin x 10pcs Female Headers Pins Straight Single Row Gold Plated Pitch 2.54mm 0.1 inch for PCB Connector Machine Breadboard Electronic Circuit Board https://a.co/d/edalv4l

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2018
Paid Member
Thanks! I just ordered a 50 pack of 3 pin headers for less than DK or Mouser shipping.

I did the same yesterday on some SMD resistors. I needed 4. But I went for a kit of 2000 resistors for $15. A lifetime supply? Easier than onesie twosie DK orders.

If there's interest I could potentially kit up some "input roller" kits for folks. Leave Q3 in place. Swap pairs of Q1/Q2 in sockets. Try Vishay, FQP, Harris, and Samsung. I think I'm going to have very limited FQP, Samsung, and Vishay left. I have tons of Harris.

Probably a handful of folks could get in on this with all 4 options.

You're all on your own for the Toshiba 2SJ313's.