DAC AD1862: Almost THT, I2S input, NOS, R-2R

:) I like Pan FC on Ripster's board and the polyswitch is pretty cool

I like the short I2S connection from Ernst's board

I fear it is a Surimi Burson V6 plot ;), so what oap did Burson copied to translate itr in discrete in this V6 ? NE5534 discretes like AUdioGrande or close ? Any info ?

Panasonic FC are nice but bigger so they need to be mounted on both sides.

As for Burson V6 another member here on forums tvicol dissected and reviewed them. And suggested a mod to remove two diodes so this will be my next move.
But couldn't find any reference to any other oap design...

Hi Ernest. Well it is pretty complicated with the PCM2706. The part can be avoided and any xmos board used instead. I can create xmos solution, but it is not user friendly - the chip has really tiny legs for hand soldering and the programming device is needed, along with the experience.
Only solution how to improve the PCM2706 is to use the combination PCM2706+WM8804 --- to I2S. It can reduce the jitter 10x. I don't know any other user friendly solution :(

Hey remark regarding opamp THS4031, better omit this opamp, they go to heaven fairly soon: got an huge plop on speakers when I put streamer on. Measured voltages and 2 opamps had curious -12 voltages on not used pins..
This from only 6times or so on/off cycles.

And.. my pc streaming setup sounds still better in my ears compared to AD1862 dac.
1862 is relaxed, more bass forward. I like it first but in time its dull sounding and lacking some details. Very laid back and miss room information in recordings.
Stream AirPlay to moode, searching other ways but i am fearing on the long run 1862 is not my cup of tea.

Have built other non-os stuff before and have o sort of sound in mind I hoped this Dac could give me that

Next try
Thanks TJF

Attachments

• D619D849-701F-4053-A6E1-1C48558EAAE2.jpg
    D619D849-701F-4053-A6E1-1C48558EAAE2.jpg
    1,000.8 KB · Views: 358
I like it first but in time its dull sounding and lacking some details. Very laid back and miss room information in recordings.

Going for better power supplies will open up the sound in a big way. I went overkill with an MPAudio LT3045 ALD-HPULN PS Dual Rail 2x2,5A on each of the 5v and 12v feeds and these really opened up the sound. They are expensive but proved to me the benefits of better power to really open up the DAC.
They are easy to setup up for symmetric supply.
ALD-HPULN PS | MPAudio

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Hi Tubee,
You have installed the components on Miro’s board to adjust the MSB trim, did you use a test signal and oscilloscope to adjust for lowest distortion? If not, I wonder if this could be a reason for getting your subpar listening impressions? Remove the trimpots and associated resistors and have another listen.

>Tubee, why not take the I2S from the reclocker and not from the pass trough GPIO header (I2S of the Rpi not reclocked by the hat) ? Even you wires are not the same length.

I would try from the uf-l socket and sacrifice 3 uf-l cable at one side for the purpose. while the gnd conexion should ask tricky diy, hence the uf-L good needs. The I2S of the Pi is FGPA abstracted from a single crystal on the Rpi so it could be a problem in relation to that or the I2S choice in the playback streamer software.

Are thz output dc blocking caps that are not bipolar on the photograph are the good direction ?

Last edited:
Thanks for reply :)
Solved problem with the ths opamps, fitted the opamp feedback c0g caps on underside of pcb, Pushed some vw beetle ne5534 opamps in and to my surprise it’s sounding more decent now.
I think those ths opamps where oscillating as hell..

The I2S wires are same lengths, these are until the ufl wires will arrive with a trimpot and opa627 opamps

A low impedance PS is an idea indeed. But I know this one is fine already
Also want better accusilicon cristals in time, and a tube or tranny I/v schematic
Those tubes are not connected
Msb adjustment is not done indeed i will do this procedure

AFAIK there is no output cap @ opamp.
Are those 1 to 10 value caps coupling caps? (C15-c25 and c26-c26) then I will swap a tantalium on underside for Panasonic aluminum

Last edited:
Thanks for reply :)
Solved problem with the ths opamps, fitted the opamp feedback c0g caps on underside of pcb, Pushed some vw beetle ne5534 opamps in and to my surprise it’s sounding more decent now.
I think those ths opamps where oscillating as hell..

The I2S wires are same lengths, these are until the ufl wires will arrive with a trimpot and opa627 opamps

A low impedance PS is an idea indeed. But I know this one is fine already
Also want better accusilicon cristals in time, and a tube or tranny I/v schematic
Those tubes are not connected

AFAIK there is no output cap @ opamp.
Are those 1 to 10 value caps coupling caps? (C15-c25 and c26-c26) then I will swap a tantalium on underside for Panasonic aluminum