DAC AD1862: Almost THT, I2S input, NOS, R-2R

Fantastic good job Fran :) ... yeah, awesome work. Thanks.

May I ask if there was big difference enough between a Output transformer with tubes over a good film caps for DC blocking ?

Already from the former Painkiller AD1862 DAC, I also noticed Rogic discrete was a giant killer too. Looking forward to read you about the 0A1 DHT.

Last edited:
anyone tried the 6N23P-EB please ? It might be a little better than the 6N1 while the Mu is maybe a little weak for a 2 mA point to point ? While I dunno where to buy one with reliability enough NOS ?

Just guessing, I have no idea with tubes.

@ Fran : how much transistors did you need for sorting them out please ? Would like also to try a better matching than I did with discrete PainKiller dac and AD1862 but this time for the cool PCM56P... sort of in between the ad1862 and TDA1541 perhaps if I dare.

I can't answer this - I only used film output caps......

Fantastic good job Fran :) ... yeah, awesome work. Thanks.

May I ask if there was big difference enough between a Output transformer with tubes over a good film caps for DC blocking ?

Already from the former Painkiller AD1862 DAC, I also noticed Rogic discrete was a giant killer too. Looking forward to read you about the 0A1 DHT.

I think you need D3A, E280F, 6Э5П or PL802. All of them have >40 real Mu in triode connection.

Thanks.

Well, finding a true matched D3A pair is almost a dream. My understanding all sold matched pairs are not...matched enough.

Do you please know good reliable seller for a 6N23P ? (not particulary for this project) . I don't know which is the best : 6N23P- EV or EB... maybe a simple rockett logo one Vodosthok is even better sounding ? I don't know, quite new to me.

I'm going to google the others tube of your list to know if they are all double triode :)

ATM busy adjusting msb. Formerly did that on ear with headphone.
As I have a scope I can do it with that. Downloaded some tone files at different levels. -60 dB I cannot see anything on scope. (Old 2nd hand scope maibe has to be serviced) Are there dedicated files to adjust msb ?

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Cathrine DAC

Hi Miro,

any chance for a Cathrine DAC that would have the option for either totally usb power or external (i.e. good quality 5V) power? In this case one would be able to use this with a phone plus one 5V supply - for mobile use a powerbank would be sufficient.

I've recently acquired a cheap and small CM6631A USB to i2s interface board and used it together with Richards PhiDAC. PhiDAC is external powered, yet the interface is usb powered. Not only with my phone this DAC is really great for the 3$ BOM :-D (PhiDAC only - USB was 20 Euro). For Cathrine this interface might be a feasible option beside the pcm2706, you want to use for long time support.

Cheers, Ernst

Last edited: