DAC AD1862: Almost THT, I2S input, NOS, R-2R

Well it depends how you look at it... For me, this DAC from Miro is the best and definitely surpases dodson! Cheap and simple to build with endless options to tinker around and learn...

I just replaced Burson V6 op-amps a few days ago with Discrete Current-Mirror IV from GB that I did with help from Patrick. And Burson is for shure not going back in... :love:🤤

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Well it depends how you look at it... For me, this DAC from Miro is the best and definitely surpases dodson! Cheap and simple to build with endless options to tinker around and learn...

I just replaced Burson V6 op-amps a few days ago with Discrete Current-Mirror IV from GB that I did with help from Patrick. And Burson is for shure not going back in... :love:🤤
Cool!
What do you think about case for the Dac? I'll looking on ali but most of them is very similar. What sizes should I look?

The miro DAC design does not support balanced output.
For that, you need 4x AD1862, plus some additional circuitry.

Something like this is balanced :
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...st-tht-i2s-input-nos-r-2r.354078/post-6925148

Patrick
It's useless because there is no complete identity of chips - I've already inquried about it but I am planning to make pseudo balance with separate ground. It's not difficult. Just gathering information how to implement but the main thing I learned. Need to buy a neutrik XLR and connect to board. I will find the cable to check.

Almost all modern day DACs comes with balanced output, whether current out or voltage out.
Then in their datasheet, they normally published an amalogue stage fully balanced,
and another with a BAL to SE converter after the IVs.
There is a need for SE out because for most people the rest of the audio chain is not fully differential.

The older DACs, like PCM56, AD1862, PCM1704, .... are different, in that they only have SE output.
Therefore you need 4 of them to give you stereo balanced.
And the usual way to do it is to invert S_DATA for the negative phase.

Plenty of published exampkes around.

Patrick

Reactions: 1 user
It's useless because there is no complete identity of chips - I've already inquried about it but I am planning to make pseudo balance with separate ground. It's not difficult. Just gathering information how to implement but the main thing I learned. Need to buy a neutrik XLR and connect to board. I will find the cable to check.
For sure. Btw John from ECDesigns said it with the tda 1541A. It is usless, each chip is different enough due to the fabric process and have different intfinsec jitter as well. So what, but if your pre has no SE input you do not need really asymetric with the SE cables length between 0,5 to 1,5 m... Are you in a studio with long mic cables, long consoles cables....no !

Reactions: 1 user
I have a balanced Chord amp, though with SE input as well. I have not heard any improvement with balanced in the length cable I usr... I am happy with Oyaiide Across 750 SE interconnect, But if you have not the choice and only balanced ...then you have no choice indeed.

Reactions: 1 users
A word of warning for those building the XEN CM IV and using DIP8 plug-ins, like Paddy and Ripster did.
You MUST remove Riv and Civ from the miro board, and you must solder (SMD) Riv and Civ on the XEN boards.
It is NOT plug and play swap for DIP8 opamps.

If you want to go back to opamps later, you need to reinstall Riv and Civ on the miro board.

Patrick

Reactions: 2 users
A word of warning for those building the XEN CM IV and using DIP8 plug-ins, like Paddy and Ripster did.
You MUST remove Riv and Civ from the miro board, and you must solder (SMD) Riv and Civ on the XEN boards.
It is NOT plug and play swap for DIP8 opamps.

If you want to go back to opamps later, you need to reinstall Riv and Civ on the miro board.

Patrick
1650538397950.png

Just to be sure. Are these the Riv and Civ that you are referring to ?

So my latest frankenstein just put a few things together laying around.. Need to find a better 5V supply. This is just some chinese board but I replaced the MC78xx chips. For powering IV I have built VRDN from Mark Johnson. New DAC board from Miro that has a jlsound i2soverusb header.. And CM IV from Patrick. I really like this IV stage from Patrick in my setup with My_ref amplifier and Elsinore speakers' bass is so clear and sharp I just can't stop listening. And vocals have also become more clear compared to burson V6. And everything remains as easy to listen as before no fatigue I could easily listen to this all day...

IMG_20220421_143516.jpg IMG_20220421_143529.jpg IMG_20220301_211258.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
I am using Burson V6 vivid and working on a tube buffer. But the Xen CM IV seems very attractive.
Can I know the GB information and construction guideline?
Thanks in advance
I have Burson Classics and I hope I will not use them any more :D
Regarding GB, first there's a shortage of transistors at least at mouser last time I looked, second I really lack motivation for another GB like this first time motivation was I was also doing it for myself. Here is GB thread and it needs someone who will do the hard work... https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...urrent-mirror-iv-converter-a-la-ad844.373227/

Reactions: 1 users