DAC AD1862: Almost THT, I2S input, NOS, R-2R

Hello!

Does anyone have an explanation?
SPDIF/Optical to I2S, almost THT, there is no active device (CD player) on the SPDIF input of the WM8804 panel, the current consumption is several times higher than when I connect an active device.
The current consumption is also low if there is no data traffic on the SPDIF input and only a switched-on device is on it, the current consumption increases after the device is switched off.

Thanks.

What kind of JP5? No JP5?
1668696929858.png

An actual active data stream (CD playback) is not required; powering it up reduces the current consumption to a normal level.

This is because the spdif stream is running.

I used WM8804 many years ago and don't remember its behavior. Using other spdir receivers with an external SPDIF amplifier (usually 2 inverted CMOS gates, like 74LVC2GU04, etc. in analog mode) I have seen 2-2.5 times higher current consumption without the SPDIF signal.

WM8804 has an internal spdif amplifier, but probably with the same topology.

Hey, guys. Yesterday I was in our audio shop with Miro Dac. I wanted to listen and compared to other DAC. Well, there was a Marantz SA-12SE which is completely different class:D and the songs sounded much better on SA-12. But you know what - there was also Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt on ES9038q2m which in some ways will better than an other two:D. Cobalt is musician's DAC. He is more musical regardless of price! I recommend to listen him! After Marantz I was shocked this small USB device. I had a very useful time! Now I will be thinking about upgrades my Dac!
Here it is

Attachments

• IMG20221110233651.jpg
    IMG20221110233651.jpg
    500.3 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG20221110233902.jpg
    IMG20221110233902.jpg
    531.9 KB · Views: 158
Hey, guys. Yesterday I was in our audio shop with Miro Dac. I wanted to listen and compared to other DAC. Well, there was a Marantz SA-12SE which is completely different class:D and the songs sounded much better on SA-12. But you know what - there was also Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt on ES9038q2m which in some ways will better than an other two:D. Cobalt is musician's DAC. He is more musical regardless of price! I recommend to listen him! After Marantz I was shocked this small USB device. I had a very useful time! Now I will be thinking about upgrades my Dac!
Here it is
Don't quite understand what you mean. Are you saying the Marantz and Audioquest in your audio shop are better than the DIY AD1862 DAC?

Here it is
Dragonfly sounds worse than 50$ khadas tone board...
Eh but each to his own i guess.
I remember how you soldered your dac burning pcb in the process, it's good that it turns on, let alone play music.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't quite understand what you mean. Are you saying the Marantz and Audioquest in your audio shop are better than the DIY AD1862 DAC?
Yes, Marantz in many ways superior to 1862. It is not even correct to compare. But I didn't notice any weaknesses on my Dac. His sound is very good with a good tonal balance and this is great! There is a little accent on mid same as SA-10. But Cobalt sounds different a more pleasure to ears.
It was all happening in this system not in my! I'm telling you what I heard.
I already told you that sound of 1862 Dac is flat and boring in places. I don't know how to get rid of it. Now I use OPA604 and I also have LM6171.
PCM63 sounding a more vigorously than 1862 as an example.
I was listening recently the Benchmark Dac-1 on AD 1853. I had it for a week. It is very boring and monotonous. Studio device, no less.

Yes, Marantz in many ways superior to 1862. It is not even correct to compare. But I didn't notice any weaknesses on my Dac. His sound is very good with a good tonal balance and this is great! There is a little accent on mid same as SA-10. But Cobalt sounds different a more pleasure to ears.
It was all happening in this system not in my! I'm telling you what I heard.
I already told you that sound of 1862 Dac is flat and boring in places. I don't know how to get rid of it. Now I use OPA604 and I also have LM6171.
PCM63 sounding a more vigorously than 1862 as an example.
I was listening recently the Benchmark Dac-1 on AD 1853. I had it for a week. It is very boring and monotonous. Studio device, no less.
Thanks for your sharing.

I’m interested to know what amplifier and speakers used in the listening.