DAC AD1862: Almost THT, I2S input, NOS, R-2R

@NIXIE62 , you don't really need that when the protection board is connected to DAC outputs. I faced the 'problem' because I tested the protection board by itself. Hence anyone who wish to test if the protection board will smoke or bang before connecting to the DAC outputs should know that C1 and 2 need to be discharged by shorting the inputs to ground.

Packages from JLCPCB always bring joy and excitement.😄

Attachments

• 16772100215763406663205037280469.jpg
    16772100215763406663205037280469.jpg
    443 KB · Views: 137
Reactions: 5 users
@jimk04 I did follow the the statement in datasheet from PCM63 :)
"FILTER CAPACITOR REQUIREMENTS As shown in Figure 4, various size decoupling capacitors can be used, with no special tolerances being required. The size of the offset decoupling capacitor is not critical either, with larger values (up to 100µF) giving slightly better SNR readings"

I made a little calculator at this google sheet based on the PSU2 schematic #1,549 and the LT1963/LT1964 data sheets that might be interesting to other noobs trying to understand how Vout is set.

1677374026405.png

Are the constraints on PSU2's "R1" and "R2" values:
  • keeping the trimmer in the +/- 1V range, though I'm guessing I can make this range smaller or larger at the expense of precision / flexibility?
  • Making sure "R1" is less than the max values in the datasheets (4.17k and 50k)?
  • Keeping V_out between +/- 1.2V to 20V?
As long as I follow these requirements am I likely to not mess up too badly lol?

1677377011056.png

Also these questions may be very open-ended but any hints to understand them would be super appreciated:
  • what is the purpose of C17,C18... ?
  • Does the R19, R20... + LED do something for the signal, or is just for the led?

Any insights into this or links to resources are super appreciated!

I figured it would be polite to inline the things I'm referencing while asking for help. Please let me know if this is not the case.

Reactions: 1 user
@cibo You can be inspired by my calculator from the post #1549 ;)

Nobody knows about the R1, but as long as the datasheet specifies it, it should be fine :ROFLMAO:

C17, C18 should improve the stability.

R19, R20 is only for the LED (sets the minimum current) and R+led works as a minimum load for the regulator that should existn

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hi Miro, thank you for all your work, you brought people a lot of joy. I'm listening to the DAC on your AD1862 board and I'm happy with the sound.... I wanted to ask, maybe in your plans there is a desire to design at least one multi-channel DAC, for 8 channels? With this trouble at present, there are practically no good multi-channel DACs available on the R2R for self-assembly. It would be great for cars and cinemas. At least on AD1865 (several channels are possible in dual mode, one chip per channel for better quality))).
It is desirable with the ability to choose to connect each DAC from a separate power source, or from a common one. It’s the same with you as an exhaust, the ability to use a jumper to power the entire group from one power supply or, at the request of a collecting device (peace of mind))) from a separate power supply.

If you suddenly get together, I would discuss with you the connector for connecting the inputs of such a device))

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Miro might be able to understand this, most probably are not. So here is a translation by Deepl.com

Hi Miro, thank you for all your work, you bring a lot of joy to people. I'm listening to the DAC on your AD1862 board and I'm satisfied with the sound.... I wanted to ask, maybe in your plans there is a desire to design at least one multichannel DAC, for 8 channels? With this trouble at the moment there are almost no good multi-channel DACs available on R2R for self-assembly. This would be great for cars and cinemas. At least on AD1865 (you can have several channels in dual mode, one chip per channel for better quality))).
Preferably with a choice of connecting each DAC from a separate power supply, or from a common one. This is the same as the output, the possibility with a jumper to power the whole group from one power supply, or at the request of the collector (peace of mind))) from a separate power supply.

If you suddenly gather, I would discuss with you a connector to connect the inputs of such a device))

Reactions: 1 user