DAC AD1862: Almost THT, I2S input, NOS, R-2R

and not as good as all the ones already tested here ! Déja vu !

TDA1540 has a meatier bass, however, with good tweaks and a special care to the ground layout on the three voltages, the TDA1541, especially later Taiwaneese is even more punchy in the bass than the AD1862 or TDA1540 in that area.

I hope, got them 1541a taiwan 95 😁 Do note that opa is reeeeeeealy influencing bass, at least on pcm63p. The only commercial opamp i heard in it, that gives good meaty bass is burson v6c. Nothing else compared. I've yet to try muses in, but 1611, 1655, 1641, sparkos, newclassd, etc etc, none came close.

Reactions: 1 user
It's not expensive in the absolute sense. It's too expensive for me to try and be disappointed. PCM1704 is a bit suspicious to me anyway. When I was getting the PCM63, I know it's good, I got it cheap and the other gaming ones were cheap too (AD1865 and PCM1702). I plan to use them all for something. Not one of them disappointed, and even if it did, it was cheap. I have yet to try the AD1860 and AD1856, but I don't expect anything bad, and they are ridiculously cheap, and a very good DAC can be made with it.

One reason I want to try PCM1704K-s, because those were the only DAC-s I could buy from Mouser. Another reason is that I don't believe they are that bad. Erno Borbely, Lynn Olson and others regarded them as one of the best DAC-s ever made. The small footprint and simpler power supply requirement are just bonus. A lot of depends on the proper implementation. I want to compare them to PCM63PK-s. I can't believe TDA1540-s are better on 24 bit music.
Some time ago I thought my ultimate DAC will be 4xPCM1704K in balanced mode using some passive I/V with Sowter transformer and D3a buffer. That's the reason I missed many cheap PCM63P-K and AD1864N-J. Now it's too late.

Last edited:
I also think that the PCM1704 is the best dac ever made, however, due to various circumstances, its production did not last long, and that is the reason for its current price and availability.
Today, it is still possible to get the original PCM1702 at a relatively reasonable price, which does not sound much worse than the 1704. The purchase of the PCM1702 or 1704 itself is only the first step and does not necessarily mean that you will immediately get a DAC that sounds good. Special attention should be paid to the digital filter (I deliberately do not mention NOS), regulators and the power supply in general, and very importantly to the I/V (active) conversion itself.

@crymen TDA1540 has very deep bass, something very special with all details achieved - I was unable to reproduce it on another DAC even with equalizer :smash: 14-bits LOOL :ROFLMAO:

@diyiggy TDA1540 in its original form can do what the tweaked TDA1541 can; so what can the tweaked TDA1540 do? :cool: However, tda1541 also plays nicely, but it's not what I expected :giggle: (in my opinion, only one chip should be used per channel, but something will be different with the internal architecture)

@NIXIE62 @lcsaba @grunf
PCM1704 (used without digital filter) is very good DAC, I compared it for about 1 full year with the AD1862 (the same topology, the same power supplies, the same I/V). Every time I turned on the AD1862, I was somewhat more satisfied with the sound, PCM1704 sounds slightly colder to my taste :giggle:
I would like to see the the new PCM1704 for $20 on mouser then i would buy it :ROFLMAO:

In these Miro versions of DACs, the influence of I/V resistors and OPAs is really big. And I listened to the PCM1702 in someone else's system and with a different output stage.
I can't even try them at my DAC yet, I haven't received the shift registers it wants to work with. :ROFLMAO:
Nixie i am building PCM1702P with Miro's dedicated PCM1702 boards . I can send you 1 pcb if you want - no need for PCM63 adapters ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys,
do you know if this is correct configuration for jumpers on the jlsounds I2SoverUSB v.III for the AD1862 Miro's DAC?
Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-18 at 16.17.01.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-18 at 16.17.01.png
    13.1 KB · Views: 59