DAC AD1862: Almost THT, I2S input, NOS, R-2R

Gathered 99% of parts and soldered on pcbs . Metalwork and drilling almost done . First try will be PCM1702 with Borbely hybrid I/V . Then EUVL FC CEN I/V - missing some smd parts . I hope i will not have to roll OPA in the end :)

Attachments

• 1687191056651.jpg
    1687191056651.jpg
    513.9 KB · Views: 246
Reactions: 2 users
Last night I only got to try the Sparkos SS3601 with the PCM1702. The bass is well defined, has a punch, is a little less pronounced than with other OPAs. Midrange is excellent, clean, natural and detailed. Treble is prominent and sharp at times, similar to PCM63 with SS3601. Lot of details. Obviously, it is necessary to experiment a bit and add some capacitor between Iout and GND to calm down the highs. 3D presentation is excellent. The DAC does 384kHz sampling rate without fail.

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2023
Paid Member
Before ordering boards, I thought I would ask if anyone has spare boards for the AD1865 or AD1862 DAC, or the minimalist version of the AD1862 DAC from post #6169? Also, does anyone have spare AD1862 chips, insight into sellers that sell two chips, or interested in a group buy?

Just be careful, everything you add in front of the dak spoils your sound. JLS direct to DAC is the best we've heard so far. The same goes for I/V stage. If that analog output stage isn't up to Muses and Bursons, then it's a big investment and no return.

If you use shift registers and an I2S signal, bridge the connection on the PCB from the I2S connector to the shift registers and DAC, without a 22 ohm resistors. A Miro PCB is required if shift registers are used. If shift registers and OPAs are not used, then everything can be put on the raster board, it's very simple.

what is JLS?

i need two boards
1) PCM63 board
2) I2S NOS board (for PCM63)
Get a usb to i2s board - JL Sounds is just an example cited by members.
Connect this board's i2s outputs to the i2s inputs of the Miro PCM63 dac board. Skip the op amp IV on the dac board. Wire out the Iout to the output stage of your desire. Isn't this what you want to do?

Alternatively, skip the shifters on the Miro PCM63 dac board. JL Sounds board has the capability and can be connected directly to the PCM63 inputs. The Miro PCM63 dac board provisioned for direct connection from an external inputs by cutting some traces.

Reactions: 1 users
@NikNet
Here is a connection diagram of the JL Sounds usb board to the PCM63P dac.
The usb to i2s board that you are using need to have this capability for direct interface to the PCM63P inputs if you intend to skip the glue logic on the DAC board. Otherwise just build the board as it is, use any usb i2s boards you have, skip the IV op amp, wire out to your favourite output stage.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230621_173129_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20230621_173129_Drive.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 84
Reactions: 2 users
@miro1360 I really appreciate the efforts you are putting in to help DIY community making different variations of excellent DACs which are better than many commercial products.

I recently noticed another addition to the project which is CPLD based logic to replace the shift registers. Although I have never played with Altera or Xilinx devices before but having a general idea I was thinking wouldn't it be possible to develop signal switching (I2S 2-3 in 1 out or emulation of shift registers and then out to the DAC chips), with the hope that EPM240 has enough juice and memory to do it.

Just an idea..

Have ordered a few boards though.