DAC AD1862: Almost THT, I2S input, NOS, R-2R

Thanks Ernest.
To be honest it sounds very very detailed as Benz micro MC step up transformer, but indeed lacks some bass drive (put in front of MD phono stage)
I will give it a try and also planning a tube setup so things to do.
I figuring out about AD1862, wich has dual current outputs, have to sort out how to connect to the single primary winding of trannie

@Flikoman
No improvement is planned yet as it is proven PCB, you can place the order :)

Ok, thanks!

Hi Flikoman,
Use the AD1865 Gerbers from post#1431.
The input header is better configured with the ground pad in line with the I2S signals so a single Molex KK 4 position header can be used.
Miro’s AD1865 boards work perfectly ;)

Excellent. I have AD1865N-K. I will try it with EUVL I/V board.

Regards

New dac is up and running :D:D:D
Has been running for an hour now. Sounds little different from my Fiio K5pro, but definitely not worse. Sound is very engaging. Will give the Dac even more time to play. Many thanks to miro1360 for this project, the construction has given me a lot of pleasure :up:

One more thing: I use the I2SoverUSB v.III.
"JLsounds AK4396 DAC board I2S mode (old I2SoverUSB board)"
J3:Open, J4:Open, B1:Close, B2:Close, B3:Close, B5:Open
Didn't work for me. Had a high noise. Instead I use:
"AK4490, AK4493, AK4495, AK4497 and all DACs in I2S like protocols"
J3:Open, J4:Open, B1: Close, B2:Open, B3:Close, B5:Open

Max. is 96KHz, when I go higher it distorts. Did something wrong?

Attachments

• 2021-05-13_dac.jpg
    2021-05-13_dac.jpg
    439.9 KB · Views: 376
@Kukak
Your I2S wires from the USB board to the dac are way too long and too jumbled together. Each I2S signal should have its own ground wire. I suggest to lightly twist each ground wire with the I2S signal it corresponds to, then space the sets of twisted wires apart from each other so that they don't cross couple with each other more than necessary.

Also, connecting wires to the I2S board single row header on the USB baord without going through an isolator of some kind will short out the galvanic isolation the USB board is designed to have.

Please let us know if the distortion problem continues after other things are fixed.

@Kuka
Nice to see your result :cheers:
I can't test the I2SoverUSB v.III, because I don't have one. @Vunce could be more helpful, as he tested something.
I tested the older jlsounds in default I2S configuration (no configuration resistances) and it played 192kHz ... this should be the AK4396 mode in the v.III :)

Joined 2014
Paid Member

Hi Kuka,

The above setup is how I configured my I2SoverUSB board, it worked very well with Miro’s dac. With an external psu feeding the oscillators and reclock section, I liked the sound slightly better than the Singxer C-1 board.
I’m back to the C-1 board, the I2SoverUSB is setup for simultaneous mode and paired with a TDA1541 Dac.
Hopefully you get the noises sorted out soon.

Cheers!

New dac is up and running :D:D:D
Has been running for an hour now. Sounds little different from my Fiio K5pro, but definitely not worse. Sound is very engaging. Will give the Dac even more time to play. Many thanks to miro1360 for this project, the construction has given me a lot of pleasure :up:

Didn't work for me. Had a high noise. Instead I use:
"AK4490, AK4493, AK4495, AK4497 and all DACs in I2S like protocols"
J3:Open, J4:Open, B1: Close, B2:Open, B3:Close, B5:Open

Max. is 96KHz, when I go higher it distorts. Did something wrong?

For I2SoverUSB you don't need 74HCT164D, because you could connect directly. May be here is any conflict? You could also ask Lyuben. Attached a picture from an early post...

Attachments

• AD1862_JLSounds Direct.jpg
    AD1862_JLSounds Direct.jpg
    477 KB · Views: 338
Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
In my brand new JLsoubd USB board vIII I noticed a difference from board and documentation regarding the B jumpers. The PDF just shows 5 B jumpers, and the board has got 6 of them. B5 in the PDF is located, where B6 on the board is placed. Perhaps this is a reason for some confusion, maybe not. I'll email Lyuben later today about that.

@Ripster, are you using the DAC power for the USB board?

Cheers, Ernst

Power i2soverusb board from miros 5V power supply, now you are powering it with usb power and it is not galvanically isolated.

You're right. For first installation I use usb power without isolation. There is definitely space for improvements.
First I will shorten the I2S cables and second the usb board will get 2 separate power supplies.
A direct connection is a very interesting option.

The dac will remain in any case :up:
Swapped out the Opa49710 against Burson Vivid. Like it very much.
Listened to music for far too long last night :D

You're right. For first installation I use usb power without isolation. There is definitely space for improvements.
First I will shorten the I2S cables and second the usb board will get 2 separate power supplies.
A direct connection is a very interesting option.

The dac will remain in any case :up:
Swapped out the Opa49710 against Burson Vivid. Like it very much.
Listened to music for far too long last night :D
There is a new PSU from Lyuben. Ask him. If you like it, you could use it for 2x .