DIY Class A/B Amp The "Wolverine" build thread

Inrush current limiter.

Morning or evening gents,
With the 2 x 500VA transformers I also need/want inrush current limiters. Is the diyaudiostore PCB a good option?...and what about the Toroidy one?...Costs are comparable.
thx...
icl.png

icl1.png

@wkloppen The toroidy inrush limiter is not ideal for an amplifier, you probable want one that can be activated from a small signal switch.
As mentioned above Audiophonics sells several models. China import by the looks of them. I have one lying around, it works, but the standby power consumption is to high to my liking's. Also the weight of the 5VA pcb transformer makes the printed circuit board vulnerable in case of mechanical impact. A safety issue.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...ains-relay-includes-soft-start-h9kpxg.354971/
Above design from Mark Johnson is popular by many here on DIYaudio. My advice is to go for this one.

https://virtualzeroaudio.com/collec...mp-control-system-v6-2-2-boards-bundle-5-pcbs
Above a state of the art design using an ATmega processor. A bit complicated though. See this thread by vzaichenko and jwilhelm
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/how-to-build-a-21st-century-protection-board.264313/

On a side note, I see you worked out the dual rectifier setup, and it looks promising. But keep in mind that this will take away two extra diode drop's from the rails. And since you took some poor advise from Harry3 to cripple your amp to suit the limitations of your speakers. And consequently ordered 2X42V torrid's, you will end up with even more limited headroom reserves when using dual rectifier's

There are a few soft start kits available on EBay or from Aliexpress (the soft stsrt class A1 may not be available any more, recently I saw ony a simpler version of it). Attachments show the ones I'm using. Two of these use also thermistors: NTC 20d-20 or NTC 16d15. Alternatively to make things very simple one can use just Inrush current limiters in line with power switch. May not be ideal but it works, I tried it. Schematics show the simplest 30A soft start with a resistor.
cheers,

Attachments

• Soft Starting Sch v2.JPG
    Soft Starting Sch v2.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 93
  • Soft Starting  board connection TH version.jpg
    Soft Starting board connection TH version.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 95
  • soft start 30A_3.jpg
    soft start 30A_3.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 80
  • Soft Start Class A1e.jpg
    Soft Start Class A1e.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 94
I bought the hypex one from soundimports as per Gitus advice. Focus is still on the boards getting them on the heatsinks as nicely as I can. As for the transformers,...I used sheet 2 of the BOM which says 42 AC-> 59 DC. As for the 2 transformers config....well I followed Stuarts setup i guess which means 4 rect. bridges. For each secondary feeding 1 rail.

w.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi wkloppen, you did a good choice. These are my implementations of the Hypex softstart. As I told you it works pretty well.

Gaetano.
@ghitus

Thank you for posting the pictures. Very nice implementation of Stuart’s T-GND and G-Lift boards! Also, you show how much space is available in the Modushop 4U/400 monoblock chassis which are more narrow (smaller width) than regular 4U/400 chassis. 3D skyscraper planning is important here! You are showing one build using conventional linear power supply and other showing SMPS. Nice work.

Thank you!

Anand.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for your kind words, @Anand. I had to choose Mini Dissipante, 33 cm wide, for space constrainst imposed by my furniture (and my wife). The linear PSU one is the Honey Badger, which many of you already know, the one with SMPS is of course our beloved Wolverine. Have to say that both of them are truly good sounding amps.

Gaetano.

Reactions: 5 users
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi all, i have got working boards from Andy (fireanimal), mainly because i am lazy, and due to move all my diy stuff is somewhere in boxes.
So all the credit goes to Andy.
I placed boards in box, and used power supply from my dartzeel (+/_68.9VDC) with some extra caps (4×15000uF/80VDC).
During testing, i used external speaker protection, later not used.
For testing, i used 3way speakers based on 15" Jamo, Betsy wow as mid and big ESS Heil.
Source was sony xa20es, no pre.
The sound i would describe as 'sublime'.

Attachments

• 20230113_082556.jpg
    20230113_082556.jpg
    542.3 KB · Views: 149
  • 20230113_082535.jpg
    20230113_082535.jpg
    841.5 KB · Views: 156
  • 20230113_082526.jpg
    20230113_082526.jpg
    804.5 KB · Views: 156
Reactions: 7 users