DIY Class A/B Amp The "Wolverine" build thread

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Groundlift / groundloop breakers,

Helo Gents,...i'm trying to understand the groundlift scheme. The main idea is clear to me however I see various implementations. I'm using the powersupply example which comnes with the wolverine documentation but I also see different ones where the ground coming from the PSU/amp is connected to 1 AC side of a fullwave bridge and the other to the chassis ground with + and - shorted whereas the powersupply example is connected different.
View attachment 1168524

reg

willem
Take a look a the rod elliott sound products site. There's lots of great information available there on power supplies and ground lift circuits

PSU

Reactions: 3 users
Is this heatsink oversized for 4 pair version? Im looking for optimal heatsink, to design as slim and small case as possible. I would like to use smaller 10cm width version.

Screenshot_2023-04-28-10-41-13-023_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Those are decent heatsinks. Not those awful split ones from modushop.

There is a reason if we don't have 400mm long heatsinks but we split them into two 200mm ones. Our supplier would be able to make them but they would be a lot more expensive and in the end we think it was not worth it for our customers. Furthermore, we would need to have them create a special "mold" to produce them which is quite expensive too and in my opinion it's not going to be worth it if the final price is too high for the normal DIY user.

Reactions: 9 users
Joined 2014
Paid Member
The only statement above I agree with is an active rectifier costs more than conventional bridge rectifiers, the rest I couldn’t disagree more.
You can easily build your own rectifiers for approximately $20 per piece, in the grand scheme of a build this is not a lot of money. They are more beneficial for class A amps, no heat generate from rectifiers, if using a capacitance multiplier psu you gain back approximately 1.5V that the pass transistor drops, no need for snubber components. Definitely not a Snake Oil marketing scam, they work as they should. Also, a soft start module should be used no matter what type of rectification is used. The last point is purely subjective, just listen. Compare silicon rectifier vs active in the same amp with same psu then decided for yourself if it’s worth. I do and use AR for all my builds.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey , Stuart ! .. is the current posted IPS template current ? I'm going to make 2 fully SMD designs and 2 (mini) output stages. Single pair BJT and single pair lateral mosfet (Exicon ECW20N/P20 pair). Just a single pair of the exicon's will nearly match 3 pair BJT (200W). Nice for a subwoofer.
I did want to keep the Wolverine ecosystem in the loop.
PS - 50 X 50mm IPS's.
OS

Reactions: 1 user