DIY Class A/B Amp The "Wolverine" build thread

Work in slow progress here (not in a hurry and making the fun last). I am trial fitting all the elements in my 4U 300mm chassis. The transformer is a (modest) 600VA 4x38v on special order from Toroidy, already a big donut (I don't know how you 1k or 2x500VA guys can make it fit :). Anyway, I don't need the extra power and this way I can use 64v caps.

I am considering different configurations (no wiring yet, one EF3-3 board is missing in the pictures). Anyone has any advice on which is the best or how I could do better ?

Attachments

• IMG_0793b.jpg
    IMG_0793b.jpg
    494.1 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_0792b.jpg
    IMG_0792b.jpg
    515.4 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_0794b.jpg
    IMG_0794b.jpg
    490.2 KB · Views: 171
Reactions: 1 users
First 2 psu boards arrived yesterday. The other 2 diy v3's yet to arrive but they have pretty much the same dimensions. Dont need the diode section as I'm using 4 chassis mounted bridges. I either need to do some delicate cutting removing 2 filtercaps on both v+ and v- to narrow it down a bit. Or I could design my own boards with which Im not to comfortable yet even if the scheme is simple. Another option could be chassis mounted filtercaps with a copper gnd plate etc... Something to think about in the next couple of days...
IMG-20230419-WA0004.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Wkloppen,
If you're going to use 4 caps per channel with off board rectifiers, your proposed setup is a lot of waste, IMO. Member Prasi shared a compact psu that anyone can purchase by placing an order with PCBWay. It can be configured as a CRC or CC, can use dual rectification or center tapped. I've used them in class A and class AB builds with active rectification and will use them for Wolverine also.
page-41
COMPACT_CRC_PSU_FOR_ITHER_DUAL_SECONDARY_OR_CENTER_TAPPED_TRANSFORMERS.html

Attachments

• IMG_0092.jpeg
    IMG_0092.jpeg
    728.3 KB · Views: 161
Reactions: 2 users
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I see that you got your transformers from Poland. Are you happy with these toroids? Could you tell how much you paid for these and how much shipping to Australia cost? It's expensive to get heavy items from China and Poland is much further away.

Thank you,
cheers,
Hi Janusz,

These transformers are the best I have used unfortunately they are not cheap. But the pricing was reasonable considering the build quality.
You will need to contact them if you want pricing.

- Dan

The boards I designed are even more compact, they have both channels on the same board, that will save some space, see attached.
I designed it for CLC filtering for my Class A amp but you can use 0.22R resistors instead of inductors for class AB
For those interested PM me, I still have a few leftovers.

Attachments

• PS-dual-V3.pdf
    19.6 KB · Views: 179
Hello everyone
Some photos of my Wolverine Amplifier
EF3-4 board with MJL power transistors (TO264)
Heatsinks are very heavy
Tapping was done by me
I've tested the boards without power transistors first (jumper) and then with power transistors and lab power supply with current limiting
Next step was to tested the board with the target value of 64V
To do that, an old Bryston amp with the two side amp disconnected (you must solder a jumper to use the power supply without boards)
A variac in front to get the target value and I can make some tests with the scope and generator
Bias is 100mA per pair
Offset <1mv and stable
Load is 4 ohm
It's best to use fuses of low value on the boards (in case of...) as this is the first test with 64V and heavy load
Next step is the power supply
Many thanks and congratulations to the Wolverine team for this fantastic amplifier. Build guide is also amazing (I've never seen that before...)
Square waves of 40, 1k, 10k, 50k
Bode plot
Bandwith is about 190khz (-3db)
I can get about 39 V rms (limit clipping) with 4 ohm load (380 W)
I will order transformers to have little bit more (67V)
Perhaps some resistors to adjust...

Attachments

• IMG_3925.jpg
    IMG_3925.jpg
    518.5 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_3922.jpg
    IMG_3922.jpg
    471.6 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_3920.jpg
    IMG_3920.jpg
    463.9 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_3919.jpg
    IMG_3919.jpg
    488.2 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_3921.jpg
    IMG_3921.jpg
    474.6 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_3939.jpg
    IMG_3939.jpg
    471.1 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_3937.jpg
    IMG_3937.jpg
    651.1 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Hello everyone
Some photos of my Wolverine Amplifier
EF3-4 board with MJL power transistors (TO264)
Heatsinks are very heavy
Tapping was done by me
I've tested the boards without power transistors first (jumper) and then with power transistors and lab power supply with current limiting
Next step was to tested the board with the target value of 64V
To do that, an old Bryston amp with the two side amp disconnected (you must solder a jumper to use the power supply without boards)
A variac in front to get the target value and I can make some tests with the scope and generator
Bias is 100mA per pair
Offset <1mv and stable
Load is 4 ohm
It's best to use fuses of low value on the boards (in case of...) as this is the first test with 64V and heavy load
Next step is the power supply
Many thanks and congratulations to the Wolverine team for this fantastic amplifier. Build guide is also amazing (I've never seen that before...)
Square waves of 40, 1k, 10k, 50k
Bode plot
Bandwith is about 190khz (-3db)
I can get about 39 V rms (limit clipping) with 4 ohm load (380 W)
I will order transformers to have little bit more (67V)
Perhaps some resistors to adjust...
Great results Bouli - well done 👏

- Dan