DIY Sony VFET Builders thread

Looks good!

Soundhappy, thanks for reminding me of that album. I need to rotate that into my playlist again.
It sounds wonderful with a great N.P. amp.
Looks like you have put together another tidy build.
:up:

Thanks Codyt and TungstenAudio :D

First time music play with Vfet SE was this baroque with the choir voices

Jordi Savall - Les 'Magnificat' de Vivaldi et de Bach, la 'Suite pour orchestre ndeg3' de Bach et les 'Jubilate Deo' de Lully on Vimeo

Bias is stable like a Himalayan mountains

Attachments

• B5AED4CA-602E-4D35-804E-7DFDE341FA69.jpg
    B5AED4CA-602E-4D35-804E-7DFDE341FA69.jpg
    412.3 KB · Views: 428
  • 9EAA1D55-B58D-4391-9DDD-49F7E9B688C6.jpg
    9EAA1D55-B58D-4391-9DDD-49F7E9B688C6.jpg
    394.1 KB · Views: 418
I have not done it yet.
Could you get the shims in without unscrew the power connector (as bottom cover needs to be removed) and loosen the front panel screws to release tension?

I estimated it to be too much work for the time being :)

I simply removed the top, removed the screws holding the back panel, inserted washers between the panel and the bracket. Put everything back together. Problem solved.

I have also experienced similar improvements in soundstage when driving a stereo amp from a common PSU. Adding extra rail capacitance helps to improve stereo channel separation. This can dramatically improve stereo soundstage.

The Mean Well SMPS has an upper limit on the amount of capacitance that can be added. However, this limit can be mitigated with a soft start circuit that slowly opens up the current between the SMPS and the cap bank. Usually through a largish value NTC (circa 30ohms cold) and then after say 2 to 5 seconds a solid state relay (SSR) bypasses the NTC, at which point the caps have already charged and the SMPS is not presented with a huge in-rush that usually would cause it to go into hiccup mode.

I might try this and report back, and of course, will make the circuit design and Gerbers freely available.
That sounds good, will follow.

^ Those are probably more heroic measures than necessary. I simply added a 1000 uF, 50V capacitor between the V+ and G of each output stage card. (Panasonic FC series, but any good Nichicon KW, KA or KT will also work well) I have not made any other changes to my amp. The earlier 440 uF caps were removed and replaced by these.
The same cap that improved the sound of my amp also eliminated the turn-off thump.

Hi guys!

A question about the schematic and kit parts. With the kit there came 4 pcs of 100 ohm resistors - R3 and R4 according to the schematic (Output stage).

But on the PCB I can't find R3? Is it already soldered - nearest to the bracket (and IRF250) in the same line as R8?

Last edited: