DIY Sony VFETs OS2 Official thread

Definitely - It get's a bit more tricky when the schematics are slightly different. R5 (N channel) has roughly the same function as R6 (P channel) between the two circuits. Similar for R8 / R9. Now that you're looking at the schematics vs. the BoMs, you'll see it all. Either way, to order the parts from a supplier (or check your stash), the vast majority are the same for a full build as you've noted. :cheers:
Yes:cheers: Thanks

I went to purchase and the gas prices have really affected shipping prices. :joker: Jason, this was prompted by the 4 boards and went away when I went back to 2 boards. Just FYI and funny as hell.

Attachments

• diyaudio.JPG
    diyaudio.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 265
Founder
Joined 2000
Paid Member
@Jason... Asked in the other thread, but is 1 a pair of boards or just 1 board, and what does, "parts kit" mean when you purchase it says, 1N channel parts kit."
The dropdown has been updated now with the word "stereo". Thanks :)
Maybe thats the deterrent for ordering more than 2 kits of the “immediate ready” version. :rofl:
Yes, it says exactly that on the left of the screen but JT cut it out of the screenshot for comedic impact. :)

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Jason, recall that the Pch VFET amps sold by lottery, contained N.P. PSU filter design #1 (inductor=yes, resistors=no) , while the Nch VFET amps sold by lottery contained N.P. PSU filter design #2 (inductor=no, resistors=yes).

So you may want to specify on the interest check form, whether kits might possibly be for one, or the other, or both filter designs.

I plan to connect the N-ch version (2SK82) directly to compression driver with sensitivity of 107db/W. I presume some measure to mitigate the power on-off pulse and power supply noise filtering are essential. In addition, what is the residual noise from the amp with the "standard" PSU filter using the standard Meanwell 36V ps?

Founder
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Jason, recall that the Pch VFET amps sold by lottery, contained N.P. PSU filter design #1 (inductor=yes, resistors=no) , while the Nch VFET amps sold by lottery contained N.P. PSU filter design #2 (inductor=no, resistors=yes).

So you may want to specify on the interest check form, whether kits might possibly be for one, or the other, or both filter designs.
Thanks Mark. The interest check isn't currently for a filter by anyone in particular. I think a lot of people would gravitate towards your filter.

What are we talking about for price? I might just build a supply for it depending. I did get the Meanwells, but I want to do some testing.

JT
Pricing and ETA not known, hence this just being an interest check to get a feel for numbers. If there is enough interest to warrant production, then parts, production, pricing and ETA will be worked out and pre-orders opened up.

This is the first time I've done an interest check for anything, so this is a bit of a learning process in how it goes and how to do it well. The advantage of doing an interest check is that it can be done today, rather than all the details of other related items bogging down the release of what is available for purchase immediately. There were a lot of people clambering for the round 3 output stages, so by doing this we were able to make the output stages available for immediate purchase for anyone that wanted them immediately.

If anyone would like other stuff that isn't ready yet, that's AOK, just let us know using the interest checks so we can work out pricing. The smaller the batch, the more expensive it will be (there are fixed overheads for any batch, plus smaller bulk purchases of parts are more expensive).

If you pre-order something and it hasn't shipped yet, and then something else becomes available for pre-order, you are welcome to contact the store (contact@diyaudiostore.com) and we can combine your orders so they ship at once and you don't pay double shipping.

"What's in the box!" :)

Okay, it was very well packed and here's what you get when you order 1N channel. There's a little clip on the upload, the bag to the right has resistors in it.

Attachments

• 20220323_154920.jpg
    20220323_154920.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 197
  • 20220323_154933.jpg
    20220323_154933.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 155
  • 20220323_154946.jpg
    20220323_154946.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 167
  • 20220323_155015.jpg
    20220323_155015.jpg