DIY Sony VFETs OS2 Official thread

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I developed the circuit equations for the DIY Sony NVFET OS2 circuit shown on page 3 of https://www.diyaudio.com/community/attachments/diy-sony-vfet-amplifier-os2-pdf.1035400/ and was able to verify that the circuit is in fact a mu-follower with the same small signal behavior as that of the Sony PVFET shown on page 4. This was not obvious when I first encountered the circuit.

for me it was obvious from first train car, but even I had a question why Pa did it that way, instead of more logical flippin' da polarity

left that question in for later shelf, thinking mostly about turn-on thump reasons, as most likely explanation

Dear members,
coming from a DIY-2A3 amp. and being interested in a generation change from tubes to transistors I bought some 2SK180 VFets from ebay.

My questions:
  • Are the boards of the DIYaudiostore usable for these 2SK180 VFets - because the package of the Fets is different?
  • Is the 2SK180 NPN?
Please be kind to a mechanical engineer with just a tiny bit of electrical knowledge.

Thanks a lot!

question for Pa..... he's having most experience with bigger and smaller Sonys

so, he'll know to which ones Yamaha are more comparable
ZM, since you’re only one to reply(thanks btw!).
would you think it’s worthwhile to just try? Even if I can get sk60/sj18?

from what I can find out, they’re single-die, but from data sheet looks to be a bit more rugged than the Sonys.

Only issue is different package. I am working up pcb art for plastic power devices that might be more cosmetic.
Alternatively I could revise the existing board for 2sk180, but I think you would have to make a bracket.

:snail:
Yes plastic and Tokin version please Mr.Pass
Bracket metal work for 2SK180 is relatively easy to make
and after all Greedy Boyz are FAB's :):wrench: Kind regards

As Papa said in the PDF file, set R1 at 1 Ohm, and R2 at 0 for 2SJ28 and 2SK82 vfet
From the OS2 PDF, regarding N (2SK82):
"R1 + R2 determine the DC bias current and the ratio of R1 and R2 sets the AC gain. The for R1 = 1 ohm and R2 = 0, the current is constant. "

For the P (2SJ28):
"...
with R1 + R2 setting the DC current and their ratio
setting the AC, again at about 40% contribution from the current source and
fooling the 2SJ18 into thinking that the load impedance is higher. Again setting
R1 at 0 makes the current source constant, as with the 2SJ28 version."

I think he meant to say R1=1 (not 0)? In any case, when comparing the schematics side by side the original had the equivalent of R1=0.75Ω

Attachments

• Vfet pt1 vs OS2.jpg
    Vfet pt1 vs OS2.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 207
Joined 2019
Paid Member
Only issue is different package. I am working up pcb art for plastic power devices that might be more cosmetic.

Alternatively I could revise the existing board for 2sk180, but I think you would have to make a bracket.

:snail:
I bet a version that accommodates mounting board parallel to heatsink and GDS pads for flying leads (at least for SIT) would be well received (à la SissySIT).

Joined 2011
Paid Member
The Ship Of Theseus output stage uses two plastic power devices: a Pchannel MOSFET follower, and an Nchannel MOSFET constant current source. You can see them in the attached photo, with big fender washers pressing them onto the heatsink. Circuit is extremely similar to the Pch-VFET output stage sold in the Store by lottery last April. It is compatible and interchangeable with VFET boards, and works with all VFET front ends, VFET PSU filters, and Theseus cards.

_

Attachments

• chan_B.JPG
    chan_B.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 230
Reactions: 4 users