DIY SONY VFETS pt 3 - Got VFETs?

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I'd be shocked if a low cost FE appeared, with Toshiba JFETs charged at market (diyAudio Store) prices: ($30.00 / 4 ) = $7.50 per JFET plus shipping.

If you can wheedle your Uncle BigBux into selling JFETs from his mancave-stash at $0.50 each -- congratulations! The wealth transfer from Uncle BigBux to you, has lowered your effective price. You paid a portion of the total cost and Uncle BigBux paid the rest.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
As I was trying to keep the price tab down in order to go with one of the DIY FE boards.

I stumbled upon a power supply from PartsExpress that's on sale now and it appears to be suitable option with the exception of the 2.5 x 5.5mm Center Positive (+) Plug.

Anybody here see any reason why this be a problem as opposed to the one the DIY store has with the R7B 4-Pin DIN output jack.

https://www.parts-express.com/Mean-...pter-with-2.5-x-5.5mm-Center-Positive-129-225
It's the same power supply with a different output connector. Since your probably going to use your own chassis, cut off the stock 2.5/5.5mm plug and replace with female 2 pin aviation connectors found on Amazon/eBay. Mount the mating male connector on the amplifier rear panel.
DIYhz GX16 2 Pins Panel Metal Mount Circular Metal Aviation Connector Adapter Male Female Plug Socket (10 Pcs) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D3CFRJ6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_1EKYJTZXECJVH9F26ZBK

It's the same power supply with a different output connector. Since your probably going to use your own chassis, cut off the stock 2.5/5.5mm plug and replace with female 2 pin aviation connectors found on Amazon/eBay. Mount the mating male connector on the amplifier rear panel.
DIYhz GX16 2 Pins Panel Metal Mount Circular Metal Aviation Connector Adapter Male Female Plug Socket (10 Pcs) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D3CFRJ6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_1EKYJTZXECJVH9F26ZBK
Thanks Vunce.

Also, I searched for a PDF version or web link at the DIY store for a step-by-step build guide for the Sony Vfet and wasn't coming up with anything.

Is there an actual build guide for the Sony Vfet?

The epidemic situation in China is increasing every day because of the stowaways in Hong Kong. Therefore, it has caused everyone's mental tension, and the work place has limited office hours. For those who need any components, I hope you can Send me an email so I can easily find the information
Then, wish the world peace, stay away from the epidemic, come on!

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I got my DIYAudio Store boxes today. Thanks so much NP, Jason, and crew! I will be completing a SissySIT build before embarking on the VFET. Still stuff to source.

Today
1) P channel OS boards (I will confirm kits is completely not assembled, as I wanted)
2) Meanwell PSU
3) binding posts
4) ordered parts for a TUBA PSU board - voltage regulators due mid April, found the rest at Mouser
5) added the PSU connector for the VFET chassis to that order.

Already had (not built yet)
1) Dreadnaught kit
2) Bulwark kit

Pending
1) VFET chassis pre-ordered same day as VFET OS boards
2) need to order TUBA board(s) from FAB com
3) I’m sure there will be another order once chassis is in, and I see how things look (switch…)

entertaining switch suggestions, and any worthwhile upgrades

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Here is (my choice) for a switch.

However, some builders might stubbornly insist upon using their own favorite switch which has special & unique properties: it's beautiful, it's illuminated, it has a sexy "feel", it matches the switches on other equipment in the same rack, it's an iconic, classic switch pulled from an old Marantz or McIntosh or Audio Research or Levinson product, etc.

In that case, (somebody's got some work to do)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
It’s more a matter of the cut out size on the VFET chassis being the unknown at this point. I love the vandal proof momentary switches, but don’t want to figure how to incorporate that to the Tuba board, just some decent double pole switch, that mounts on that backplane. If your choice fits, I’ll probably go for that one.

Just like I need to see what size hole on the front plate for LED, but then I think I have both the small and bigger blue LEDs already.

Decisions to make once the chassis is in hand.

thanks for the suggestions!

Founder
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Thanks to everyone who placed an order for the output stages, pre-order for the chassis or registered their interested in front ends, filters, or completion kits. Sales were initially brisk as many people had been waiting for these, but we didn't sell out.

As far as expressions of interest for front ends, filters and completion kits, there was not enough interest to produce a completion kit. Compatible front ends from Nelson, as well as a filter, are planned for the store in a few months. A BOM for a suggested completion kit will be forthcoming.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Thanks for the warning Jason. I took this opportunity to snag an N-Channel set since the buying frenzy has stopped. I did not want to take a full kit from an interested person. About to start construction on the boards for the P-Channel kit. I have collected all the parts but the chassis (Pre-Order)

My system runs best with XLR cables, and I will be building the N-Channel kit into an amp using the balanced input card that Mark Johnson has brought to the table. Then I will have an authentic NP P-Channel VFet amp, in the silver chassis, and N-Channel, differential input, VFet amp to work on.

Did I miss something. I have been waiting for the single ended VFET design boards using either 2SJ18 or 2SK60 Sony Vfets. I have not seen them in the DIY Store link below. Is there another link? I don't need the chassis, just the boards. I already bought the input boards.

Hello,

I sent an email to the DIY Store for clarification but it's been unanswered.

My question is with regards to my recent order for the Vfet output stage.

Going through the parts (resistors) for the assembly of the Sony Vfet P-channel OS kit I noticed that I received a different pair of resistor values for the OS R8 as listed on the bill of materials from the NP PDF file.

I received two 10.k ohm resistors where the BOM for R8 calls for two 27k ohm resistors DIGIKEY part number PPC27.4KYCT-ND

Was there a revision change and the two R8 27k ohm resistors are now superseded by the 10k ohm resistors.

Also the link to ----> https://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_sonyv3.pdf -----> is DEAD!

Hi Ben Mah,

Well I received two 10k resistors for R8 not the two 27k ones as outlined in the BOM.

The DIY store has thus far been non responsive to my email request asking for clarification as to why I received those two 10k resistors and not the two 27k resistors.

Also I have the PDF from Vfet from the first lottery build P channel amp, but the little white sticker attached to me bag of resistors shows the web address I listed above as the place for the schematic/pdf.

I looked in my parts bin and unfortunately I don’t have the two needed 27k resistors need to complete the build.

Last edited:
Joined 2012
Paid Member

I received two 10.k ohm resistors where the BOM for R8 calls for two 27k ohm resistors DIGIKEY part number PPC27.4KYCT-ND

Was there a revision change and the two R8 27k ohm resistors are now superseded by the 10k ohm resistors.

Also the link to ----> https://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_sonyv3.pdf -----> is DEAD!

Confused - you originally said that you received two 10k resistors.

Reactions: 1 user
277599172_972547430297334_6598186950352907752_n.jpg