diyAB Amp The "Honey Badger" build thread

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Worked the divider out and the readings just didn't seem right. I checked everything and then had a thought and check my bench supply. I have little to no neg output there.

I had an old project one i made in EET some 35yrs ago. i fired it up, sure enough stil worked. I tweaked it up to -+ 12v and hooked everything back up.

Now I get 279.69mV which is about what the reverse divider equation came out to as well.
You now have a attenuation of -32.65db should be 6 db lower as the qa401 adds 6 so you want -28.65 or there abouts

Last edited:
this is what i have for honey badger......

Attachments

• Musang Amp W700-10-Scene 1.jpg
    Musang Amp W700-10-Scene 1.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 238
  • Musang Amp W700-10-Scene 4.jpg
    Musang Amp W700-10-Scene 4.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 242
  • Musang Amp W700-10-Scene 9.jpg
    Musang Amp W700-10-Scene 9.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 236
i pulled a bone head move when doing some testing... I hit the QA testing for a pulse and instead it stayed on steady input. I was moving some leads around and R25 went up like a smoke grenade. :p Dumbazz move on my part, but I know if R25 smoked there was a reason, so just replacing that is unlikely to fix the issue.

What all should I test before firing this thing up again?

Attachments

• Honey Badger Sch - V2.5.4.pdf
    51.5 KB · Views: 261
You're using the Honeybadger frontend to drive ten pairs of output devices? What's your intended rail voltage?

Best regards!

this is a 9pair output in a triple Darlington configuration, +-85 volt rails..
this is where i am using my monster power traffo that i made....
i have four 68mf/100vdc cans from ApexJr for psu duties...

Attachments

• IMG_1099.jpg
    IMG_1099.jpg
    982.9 KB · Views: 195
i pulled a bone head move when doing some testing... I hit the QA testing for a pulse and instead it stayed on steady input. I was moving some leads around and R25 went up like a smoke grenade. :p Dumbazz move on my part, but I know if R25 smoked there was a reason, so just replacing that is unlikely to fix the issue.

What all should I test before firing this thing up again?

with the aid of a dim bulb tester, two steps, first is output offset dco or dc output adjustments, + -100 millivolt is acceptable, but of course closest to zero is what we aim for, the desiderata …..

second is standing output current adjustments, you may notice your dim bulb getting brighter if you over do your bias adjustments...when you are satisfied that there is no crossover distortion at the 1 watt/8 ohm levels then you are done...actually if the dim bulb tester does not turn full bright, you got a viable amp now....and can wean the amp off it for the crossover distortion testing with a scope...

when all okey, you can then proceed to listening tests....

now to your question on r25, it smoked when there was excess voltage across it, the base of the q9 was pulled to ground when poking around....so i will replace q9 and r25 and maybe the VAS itself...then proceed over..

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-06-10 082651.png
    Screenshot 2021-06-10 082651.png
    22.2 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Thanks for the input Tony. :) I've thought the same thing and have been working in that direction. I'll post some thoughts and ask for direction tomorrow. It's looking good, but I'm seeing some differences in resistance from the good channel to the one that had problems. I've solved some of those issues, but not all. I don't want to power it up unless I think it's right, even with a bulb. Some of the base-emitter-collector resistances don't jive with the good side.

Anyway, thanks again, i'll get back to it when i get some data I can put down and be more specific.

jT

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Tony,
I have a couple different versions of that thing. It doesn't measure leakage properly as it isn't sensitive enough.

I don't use them anymore as my old tools told the truth and were more accurate.

If you are attempting to match transistors, the two must be at the same temperature. Period. So make your own diff pair circuit up. Measure the difference between collector voltages using the meter as a null indicator.

worked for me and a lot of others, it may work for you....
When you don't know any better, it does appear to work well. That's the danger of those silly things. They work fine in a gross sense. Just like the beta tester in a cheap meter. Why ever would you expect them to be accurate??