F5Turbo Illustrated Build Guide

Joined 2002
Paid Member
May I suggest that instead of using an XLR but wired as if it a SE input, that the amp's XLR be wired to a high quality (Jensen 11P1 or equivalent Cinemag) line input transformer
I tried using those. My set of two had a difference of 0.7dB between channels, and was clearly audible as a tonal imbalance. Have now permanently shifted to using dedicated differential receiver chips.

Reactions: 1 user
^ Dennis and Halauhula - Agreed 100%... and already discussed as mentioned... the "difference" to the norm is using the SE signal output from such a device with an XLR jack for input to the amp vs. an RCA.

Again... I personally, don't think that's the best solution, and I've said so a few times... but...
Abstractly speaking (and I am not attributing this to trickster), BUT, would it make sense to run the single from a SE output preamp (or other source) that does not have a balanced out, to a SE input on an amplifier which is not truly balanced in its internal topology, by using an specially made and dedicated XLR jack to plug, with signal + routed to pins 2, signal ground routed to pins 3, and shield only on pins 1, with the following connections within the DIY-constructed source and amp: signal+ of source to pin 2 and signal in to amp from pin 2; and pin 1 connected on one side only (likely the preamp/source) to chassis (not signal ground). The concept being that the shield is only tied to chassis and bleeds off any EMI/RFI to the chassis ground (and being tied only on one side does not contribute to the possibility of creating a ground loop); signal ground is not polluted by the EMI/RFI in the shield.

I tried using those. My set of two had a difference of 0.7dB between channels, and was clearly audible as a tonal imbalance. Have now permanently shifted to using dedicated differential receiver chips.
That is interesting - a tonal difference and not just a level difference. Do you have any ideas why transformers would induce such a change (e.g., capacitance differences due to manufacturing tolerances)?

I did see that photo. The PCB on the right shows an active op-amp based converter and the PCB on the left uses very small 600/600 transformers, which also appear to be unshielded. That is why I suggested the Jensen transformer, which is shielded in a can and also appears to have much higher overload (inasmuch as the magnetic materials are much larger and therefore can accept more signal before reaching saturation. Another possibility is to the use the PCB on the left to take advantage of the input XLR and RCA jack mounting and the switching (assuming tricksters wants to have the option of both RCA and XLR balanced inputs), but wire in the Jensen transformers instead of the small 600/600 transformers. As this is DIY, tricksters has lots of options available.
Here, this seems to me an interesting solution, expensive (over 250 euros) but interesting, then we should deal with the switching problem, (manual or automatic), but let's deal with one problem at a time.

@tricksters could you please let us know what your source to the F5T would be (name, brand, model, picture)?

Also, I still don't see any advantage to the balanced input of your single ended F5T unless you have long cable run (say more than 10m; or at least 5m), which you said you don't have.

On the contrary, if you would build your F5T balanced, then you are only looking for a balanced input (as well at best for a balanced source to it). But you said you don't do this.
A balanced stereo amp would have 4 channels inside. The X150 you mention (and Mark Levinson gear) don't only have XLR inputs, they are build balanced, i.e. 4 channels inside for a stereo device.

Make sure you understand the difference:
  • Single ended gear with balanced connectors (implemented properly using transformers or chips) are typically studio or PA devices, used to overcome long cable runs. Those are 2 channels inside for stereo.
  • Balanced gear with balanced connectors (straight, no transformers or any summing chips of any kind) are typically highest-end gear, double the cost and space (4 full channels inside for stereo).

Last edited:
Sorry if this is slightly off topic. Before I take the plunge with a F5T or F5TV2 build, I’d like to know how it compares sonically to the F5 with all the extra circuitry. Assumptions are low to medium volume with moderately efficient but clear speakers. Opinions appreciated. Thanks!

Weird DC offset on F5 turbo v2 build: 0.68mV dc offset on the left channel speaker output with 250mV bias voltage across T2 and T3 on each output board and even more worrying is 1.45V dc offset on the right channel speaker output with 250mV bias voltage across T2 and T3 on those output boards. I can't figure out what's going wrong here. Any suggestions?
I have cascoded the Jfets with Tip31 and Tip32 transistors. I have also paralleled the JFets (q1.1 and Q1.2 and Q2.1 and Q2.2) This is to help protect the JFets from the higher rail voltage I'm running.
I have 35V+/- DC on the main PSU for the rail voltages and I have a 600VA Antek 6224 transformer as the power transformer.

Hello dpogorman,

the DC-offset at speakeroutput depends on various factors:

pot3 set to midposition?

You have well matched N-channel and p-channel - MosFets?

Your bias (voltage over the bias resistors) will always be different from the N-channel-MosFets to the P-channel-MosFets. That is pretty normal.
Also if you have well matched Mosfets.
You bias your N-channel and P-channel (over trimpot P1 and P2) to get the correct overall bias and the lowest DC-offset at speakeroutput.
Therefor you will read slightly lower or higher amounts of voltage over the bias resistors on the N-channel or the P-channel. Get you DC- offset
at speakeroutput below 50mV - below 10mV is reallly good.
Cheers
Dirk

Reactions: 1 user
After starting on this project 3 1/2 years ago, I finished setting the bias on one mono block. Bias and DC offset adjustments using the two FE boards and 2 - P1's and 2 - P2's. Next is adjusting P3 using REW, since it will output 1 watt, I can adjust the VU meter to read 1 watt at the same time as the P3 adjustments. Separate enclosure for the power supply, 48.1V rails (enclosure to the left in the photos), heat sinks at 44'C in the middle.
@elwood625, what are the specs of your transformer secondaries? Something around 35V and 15A?

I am debating Whether to convert my 5Tv3 monoblocks to balanced. Transformers have 35v secondaries, giving me 47v rails. My caps are rated at 63v. I understand that balanced will double my voltage swing. Does this mean 94v rails (clearly too high)? Do I need higher rated caps? Or is each side (n/p) of the monobloc still seeing only 47v ? Not sure I fully understand and hoping someone can explain. Thanks!
Alex

Thank you Starcat. If my rails under load are currently +/-47v, I assume the swing will be double that, which seems like a lot. I assume there will be a tug of war between the increased swing voltage and bias/heatsink, and That bias will need to be adjusted? Thank you for your help.