Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB project

No idea why you aren't getting sound from the woofer.
Thanks Barryso, I'm getting a bit of sound from the woofer, but it's quite low at maximum volume. I've connected the Peerless and Vifa directly to the amp and they both work, although the volume is quite low.

Soldering is really poor, I know, but given that there is a good surface contact I thought that it should work anyhow. Apart from the drivers' pins that I have not soldered the other joins are not moving.

I've uploaded on youtube here a clip of the full circuit, glad if you could help spotting what I'm doing wrong, I'm based in Senegal, would be very difficult to find someone here to sort this out.

Best,

D

Reactions: 1 user
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Le Senegal? Étonnant! One never knows where the Manzies will end up. (y)

Your you tube link didn't work. Do you have clip leads? You can bypass certain parts of your crossover to check if they are the problem. But as others have said, it's more likely a short.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks Barryso, I'm getting a bit of sound from the woofer, but it's quite low at maximum volume. I've connected the Peerless and Vifa directly to the amp and they both work, although the volume is quite low.

Hooking up the drivers to the amp should have provided enough volume you'd have had to be gentle with the volume control ... at least with the Vifa.

When you hooked them to the amp was the crossover still hooked up or had it been completely disconnected when the wire from the amp was attached?

It's against the odds that all four drivers would be defective. And as you said, the amp works fine with other speakers. Going to have to think about this for a bit.

Reactions: 1 user
When I hook up the drivers directly to the amp with just a cable, no other component in between, they work, I'd have expected higher volume but it's likely the fact that it's in open air, and that I tested only one at a time... at 1 m I can very confortably listen at max volume on the smartphone and 50% on the preamp (which is, btw, a headphone preamp but with enough juice for this system). I would assume the drivers are fine, there's something between them and the amp that is't not, and can't figure out what.

As a next step, do you think it's worth asking an electronic repairer to professionally re-solder everything while keeping the same configuration?

@Pano, about soldering, I didn't use flux, as I don't have any, I guess most of the solder stuck on top of wires, but connections are still solid to the touch so part of it must have bond the wires.

Cheers,

D

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Your submission soldering looks like it should work as gas as l can see.
Did you use normal electronic solder with a resign core?

Also I would assume that you shook and wiggled the wires while trying to play music?

Without the baffles but with the crossover the woofer will not be very loud. But the tweeter will be.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
To troubleshoot you may have to take one step at a time.
  • Desolder most of it
  • Connect woofer only thru the and inductor
  • Connect the tweeter parts one by one.
This is where clip leads save a lot of time and soldering. You can also use screw terminals to connect the wires without soldering. Sometimes they are called Dominoes or Sucre.

Thanks Pano, that did the trick. I desoldered everything, then tried to add one component at a time using screw terminals, and it all worked until the end. I'm keeping it as it is.
As for the volume I think it's me who had too high expectations with the 75W per channel given by the amp. Anyhow, looking forward to finalise this project, just need to varnish the woodwork and assemble everything.

Thanks a lot to all, it's great to be part of a community like this.

David

Attachments

• 20230226_184714.jpg
    20230226_184714.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 164
Reactions: 5 users
Thanks all for you nice words.

After a PM request I'm posting the sketchup file of the drawing which I used mostly to decide on the design, the first on the left is the winner. Please consider that dimensions and angles might not be exactly what I finally used nor what what recommended in the forum but they are very close, just double check them if you are building one of them.

WIth regard to the base, it's made out of scrap plywood and MDF, all glued toghether and then cut to an angle at the table saw. I've then glued and screwed the leg to the base so that the baffle would be perfectly vertical. Leg and baffle are not glued so that I can disassemble them if needed, 4 bolts and nuts are more than sufficient to hold them solid.

The baffle is made out of 3 cm MDF, while the wings, 3 cm thick, are made out of a local, tropical hardwood, same as the leg.

I cut the hole in the leg with the mortiser of my minimax cu300 plus some rasp and sandpaper work.

I don't have a router, and didn't want to buy one just to cut four holes, so I used a compass to draw the circles, then drilled hundreds of holes along it and then rasp, sandpaper...

Enjoy.

Attachments

• spkrs obm.zip
    548.6 KB · Views: 115
  • Thank You
Reactions: 2 users
Just for fun I did a mock up version of the Manzanita with a Kawai 30P09 ex-organ driver (Qts 1.4) and an unknown to me 3" full ranger from some home theater speakers.
Series xover with additional 1000uF in front of the LF driver to extend and smooth out the LF response.
Xover needs a bit more work but the result is very promising, reaches down to around 42 Hz, the mids have great presence. Overall sensitivity is around 86dB so my ACA barely copes with the demand.
Also will be much better if I somehow manage to time align the drivers.
Here are some photos:

Attachments

• OB1.jpg
    OB1.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 161
  • OB2.jpg
    OB2.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 161
  • OB3.jpg
    OB3.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 154
Reactions: 1 users
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
@brixvold I dug thru again and what I found seems to refer to the Ultra with the GRS 15 and the Vifa 3.5 on a bigger baffle, not the High Efficiency version.
FWIW, here is a crossover.
ULTRA-crossover.png

The best I can find is what John said about this in an email:
The Ultra is just a wide baffle, floor standing Manzi. Reaches almost an octave lower and is about 2 db more efficient due to the larger baffle - path distance. So the Vifa pad is a couple of ohms less and the cap accordingly goes up a MFD "give or take" to put the acoustic crossover frequency back to where it should be. Does benefit from the woofer trap a bit more than the Manzi. That is about it. Killer "on the cheap" home theater speaker. Really reaches down. Even better with the Peerless NE123. But that is another story. This may sound (no pun intended) over the top, (who me?), reminds me a bit of a Klipsch Horn as long as you feed it class A tube and don't push it to hard. Again, with the NE123 up top. It has that much bass authority.

Wings are the same, but with the wider baffle you can add a couple more inches or so to the over all depth on the bottom two thirds of the baffle and get to a full 3 db more efficiency without getting into cavity troubles. Actually, the best Manzi format system I have designed. Especially with the Neo 4.5".
I asked about the crossover but can't find a reply. And there is nothing about the 18" version.
What John usually did was start with the stock Manzanita crossover and work from there. The design is forgiving enough that the stock crossover sound good on most of John's designs. I built 2X15 ultra and still used the 20mH coil, despite the fact that it was 4 ohm. On top of that I swapped in and out several fullrange drivers in the 4-8" range both vintage and new. Mostly it was the tweeter (fullrange) resistor that needed adjusting to match levels. That is where I would start, the Ultra crossover with a low pass inductor of 18-20mH. You'll need to tweak the cap and resistor on your midrange, especially if you are using the NE123.

John was such a prolific speaker builder that it was difficult to keep up with all his designs and the names for them. I know about the ones I built or helped with, but the others are a blur. I helped on the 18" Coax OB crossover, but can't remember it well enough to reproduce it now that I have those drivers. I'll have to start with what I remember.

Reactions: 5 users