Full throttle construction of amplifiers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, let`s go answering, and i feel glad because Mr. Bittner`s visit.

I feel myself very proud Bittner.

I was cleaning the board with Kerozene...some liquid from Petrol that is used to clean parts circuits in my home.

Some excess of thermal compound was outside the transistor and insulator pad limits...i was cleaning with a brush and the liquid adequated to dissolve the grease.

Also i love this liquid appearance...well....will be my trademark, as i have not schematic, so, i will give a shower in other people schematics..

The To3 holes you found were filled with solder, it is a double side board, with copper lines up and downwards the fiber glass board.

The circuit was constructed to use 63 Volts simetrical..... well, with this voltage i will have more than 100 watts over 8 ohms and this will represent clearly higher power than my other home units....i perceive that as some unfair conditions to compare them to my own pleasure...as you noticed, i did not compared the unit with no one...i have just explained what i perceive together my friends...the positive things from this amplifier.

Because of the big voltage, that can produce very easy, more than 30 volts RMS over the load...and this means clean and undistorted sound, twice the others i have, made me reduce the voltage and also remove 2 transistors, as the circuit is using two pairs of 250 watts dissipation Mosfets.....i remove one pair.....and i have used smaller resistors, related their watts capabilities, because not needed so big units with so small voltage.

The designer told that from 33 volts to 63 volts simetrical, you have only to adjust bias...and that the amplifier can run with plus and minus 70 volts.... this may produce 300 watts over 4 ohms without any effort.

I have changed resistors values to match my new voltage, keeping the stabilizer zener diodes used with the same current...other values were changed sligthly not to show the correct values, as this amplifier as comercial unit and i am not authorized to publish too much details without ask the owner of that copyrigth....the patent...those legal things.

The beautifull big MKT capacitors, included in the Kit will be show in the next amplifier to be made....the original, standard, double differential pair output, 63 volts simetrical standard amplifier.

I hope i could satisfy your needs.

You are welcome to answer whatever you want...if i had conditions to match your needs, you will receive a very fast answered.

regards,

Carlos

This unit has big dinamic headroom...near twice the standard power

And this is something not usual.

If watter was not a conductive material...this roomshacker amplifier could spit the water out from it.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• 100_7879a.jpg
    100_7879a.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 1,034
Here`s the spit water unit.

A very strong amplifier...dinamic headrom goes from low frequencies into hi frequencies....it can put out clear high frequencies...it seems it can reproduce good waveform till 100 kilohertz, as demonstrated me that is reproducing real High Fidelity in the top end.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• 100_7891.jpg
    100_7891.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 1,041
" ... I was cleaning the board with Kerozene ..."

Is this like kerosene that I might find in a hardware store in USA? = jet fuel?

Kids, don't try this at home! Flamable as you well know.

BTW: I see improvements in your english writing as you progress through these construction projects. Do you write for local magazines? If not, you should consider it.

fewer MOSFETs?

" ... the circuit is using two pairs of 250 watts dissipation Mosfets.....i remove one pair ..."

?? is this described in he manual? I would have assumed (probably incorrectly) that removing a pair of MOSFET output drivers from the circuit would have reduced the "headroom" and introduced distortion.

I believe that Mr. Holton has designed these kits to have all parts in place ... and I assumed that since total output power is primarily a function of power supply rail voltage ... that reducing the power handling (watts through the MOSFETs) would not be required to build "lower powered" amplifiers.

(And if you are cleaning boards with kerosene to make 'em "shine", you might consider trying "synthetic" oil based on long chain alchohol, diluted with 70% isopropol. This would evaporate to the point on not introducing possible high impedence shorts between components ... as well as reduce the fire hazard.)

:smash:

Re: Full throttle /

FastEddy said:
" ... I really use our forum as my space, i use to say what i want, to talk everything that appear in my mind ..."

Well, that's fine. Keep the faith ... keep these thought coming as ther are quite interesting and I believe quite on top of the technology.

Ditto. I check a couple of forums pretty regularly, as I learn a lot that way. One incidental thing I learn is that there are some posters who invariably have something interesting or useful to say. I check their posts if I spot them. Carlos is in that select group.

Sheldon

And i feel great to have your respect Sheldon

You know that very well dear Sheldon....direct to you Sheldon, change your Symassym output to Sanken units.

And tell me, please, what you perceived.....i perceived increase in treble quality, and high end reproduction.

Also Mr. Bittner perceived something using other good transistors...well..if you are already using Bittner`s suggested output.... erase my suggestion from your mind...because he knows what he is saying.

.......................................................................................................

Dear FastEddy.

Really you are not wrong.... i have only to control the volume...but the dinamics of sound, in special in this amplifier, and also in Symassym, turns almost impossible control the peaks.

Reducing the voltage to the other amplifier`s voltage...i will have the same power output that my other amplifiers....so, i think they will start to clip the signal at same power level, or almost the same...this is to compare things with the same power......if the dinamics works fine in both amplifiers during comparison...i will have the same distorted peaks when i advance the volume control up it`s own limits.

Yes!>.Kerozene, the Jet Plane fuel...but the one i use is not so pure...it has some small molecules of watter mixed, and other dirties....if this one goes to Jet plane, it will create problems inside the Jet`s fuel injection system...also the watter will be frost under low temperaturel, flying high in the skies...the Jet plane will have problems with my cleaning fluid!

I have Alcohol.... the normal one, 94 degrees, also the Isopropilic...but those ones sometimes destroy my old resistor`s paint.

Also...because of oil with the Kerozene, the watter bubles turns better to produce images...alike your car when you use wax.

regards,

Carlos

Re: And i feel great to have your respect Sheldon

destroyer X said:
You know that very well dear Sheldon....direct to you Sheldon, change your Symassym output to Sanken units.

And tell me, please, what you perceived.....i perceived increase in treble quality, and high end reproduction.

Also Mr. Bittner perceived something using other good transistors...well..if you are already using Bittner`s suggested output.... erase my suggestion from your mind...because he knows what he is saying.

.......................................................................................................

The two stereo amps I built (with 4281/4302) are now used in my system for mids and low frequencies. They work very well there. But, I might give it a try on the first two monoblock Symasyms I built. Probably with the ON Semi devices, as they should be easier to get here. Not for a while though. I have to finish a couple of amps and an RIAA phono stage first. We don't build amps at your rate Carlos.

Sheldon

Resistor clean up question

" ... I have Alcohol.... the normal one, 94 degrees, also the Isopropilic...but those ones sometimes destroy my old resistor`s paint. ..."

Is it that your resistors are of the older carbon variety, which have the older oil base painted strips?? As that would explain the removal of some of the paint color by alchohol.

You might check out other sources for resistors ... and I believe that metal film resistors' paint is not as suceptable to alchohol .... maybe I'm worng here.

I have both Carbon and film resistors, some of them are with me since the seventies

As i use to construct, to listen, and to dismount amplifiers, to have the parts to construct another one...and to listen and compare again with some references.

This is a modern system, because before our forum, before 2004 i was too much ignorant, and i used to compare things using my memory...and my memory do not work adequatelly to be a reference of sound.

Now a days a need reference.

Old amplifiers that i respected was re-constructed and sound not good....so, i concluded that overall amplifier qualities had increased in a big ammount, and that my sweet memories of sonic reproduction are in the reality a big nigthmare.

Living and learning always.... each day is one new step we grown turning us distant from the ignorance.

Yesterday i was much more stupid that today, and tomorrow will be a much more understandable day related electronics.

Many myths felt down in this forum.... and others are going to fell down too.

Yesterday i receive a text about the biggest lyes in audio...was very interesting, as i have friends that guarantee that can perceive difference in sonics related audio cables......hehe

regards,

Carlos

I have both Carbon and film resistors, some of them are with me since the seventies

As i use to construct, to listen, and to dismount amplifiers, to have the parts to construct another one...and to listen and compare again with some references.

This is a modern system, because before our forum, before 2004 i was too much ignorant, and i used to compare things using my memory...and my memory do not work adequatelly to be a reference of sound.

Now a days i need a reference.

Old amplifiers that i respected was re-constructed and sound not good....so, i concluded that overall amplifier qualities had increased in a big ammount, and that my sweet memories of sonic reproduction are in the reality a big nigthmare.

Living and learning always.... each day is one new step we grown turning us distant from the ignorance.

Yesterday i was much more stupid that today, and tomorrow will be a much more understandable day related electronics.

Many myths felt down in this forum.... and others are going to fell down too.

Yesterday i receive a text about the biggest lyes in audio...was very interesting, as i have friends that guarantee that can perceive difference in sonics related audio cables......hehe

regards,

Carlos

i hope that Carlos will not mind - NX150 is a new amplifier/ product from Anthony Holton - very kind Australian guy with huge head that has a lot of nice ideas running arround .....:)
You can't find that schematic anywhere unless You receive it directly from mr. Holton and since he is selling the amp as a kit i don't think he would be willing to give it for free.
here is the link to his page
http://www.aussieamplifiers.com/index3.htm

You will see that he is using lateral mosfets that are very expensive - i was considering using this amplifier myself but because some other reasons (not related the offer or quality of his products - some personal problems) i didn't use - at the time i was calculating the costs to buy this kit (NX150) i very quickly relized that mr. Holton is not having very much to earn in his deal ....because the price for the modules is 154,00AUD. You will pay that much only for the lateral mosfets in my country and you get here with those devices also pcb's and other stuff.......
so in fact you get it even cheaper - than what one will pay for the parts here where i am living..... so from my point of view this is extremely good deal.......
hope this helps a little bit :)

amp costs ~= chip costs

" ... i very quickly relized that mr. Holton is not having very much to earn in his deal ....because the price for the modules is 154,00AUD. You will pay that much only for the lateral mosfets in my country ..."

That's what I noticed as well. Apparently Mr. Holton buys the MOSFETs and other parts in large enough quantities that he can do this.

FYI: http://finance.yahoo.com/currency .... converts currencies based on daily rates.

FYI: I use PayPal for all international payments to vendors = no bank transfer fees, exchange rates are up to the minute, w/no extra charges ... (the PayPal merchant gets charged the same as if it were a credit card purchase, about 2.5% [+ or -])

I think his amplifier has a very small price

Observing the value of the material you receive, the double face board and all the reseach needed to produced it.

I think he may never turn too much rich related money, he will be rich related happyness to watch his product everywhere.

But the price is very low in my point of view... a very decent price, there`s someone that may have a very interesting philosophie in his life, as he behave in this interesting form.

It seem he do not want to buy a house with the money received for a Stereo amplifier, this one wants to work hard, to collect small ammounts to each kit sold.

If someday i decide to start a kits construction, i will behave exactly as he does.

I think this is great, and i have enormous respect for those guys.

regards,

Carlos

He is a happy man, have a beautifull wife and a good business

A very sucessfull man.

Also i think he do not need too much money, as he has almost everything really needed around him.

Nice family, peace, constructing good amplifiers and with a range of price that may turn him more happy, knowing in the future, that his product will be listened around all world.

Well... he is in this business for many years, and have hudreds units sold, many partnerships made and a complete line of retail and kits.

I think he ask this small price not only because he want...i think that bigger than that...he CAN do that.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• happy man, with a nice family.jpg
    happy man, with a nice family.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 816
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.