Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
The P.W.B sounds costly. I mentioned bacon fat is basically free and readily available right after breakfast. However it has to be purified and most won't have the equipment, skill or knowledge to properly purify it. It must also be applied with a special pork bristle brush to be effective.

I mentioned an internet business which implies making money. The plan is to purify the fat, put it in pig shaped bottles with the special pork bristle brush.

Last edited:
I've started brushing the warm, liquid, fat on my bare wire terminated speaker cables.
<snip>
Even my cat seems to hear the diff.
Imagine that. A cat who is enthusiastic about bacon fat. I would never have expected that! :D

Incidentally, I have considerably more fat on my bare, err, midriff than I used to. I can only assume that my ears now hear smoother, betterer music as a result.

-Gnobuddy

Okay, so this latest offshoot into applied fat science immediately made me remember the movie Fight Club, which led me to this video!

You guys are closer than you think to yet another crowning achievement in voodoo audio. All we need is a different shape for the product, something more apropo than a standard soap bar for smearing this crap on cables, connectors, speaker cones, etc. Maybe we could mold it into the shape of a golden ear? Or if that's too obvious, perhaps just copy the shape of a Mpingo disc?

And remember, the First Rule of Tweak Club is: Always talk about Tweak Club - in the most pretentious, nebulous, non-falsifiable terms possible.

-- Jim

Jim, taking your idea, and mine, and running with them both: you could start an entire lifestyle movement, where you grow extra fat on your person in order to hear smoother, more refined, higher-fidelity sound. This means you can (a) sell the poor suck - erm, fortunate customer special plus-sized Lifestyle clothing, (b) sell him Lifestyle extra-fattening meals, the only ones guaranteed to produce the proper kind of body fat for maximum Hi-Fi hearing, (c) sell him the smearable fat/soap Lifestyle bar you mention, (d) who knows what other wonderful Lifestyle products you can come up with to sell him?

I say "him" not out of sexism or the desire to deny women the opportunity to become superfatted, but rather because of the statistical fact that most women appear to be pretty well immune to the blandishments of expensive audiophoolery. While there are plenty of women (violinists) alive who would love a five million dollar Stradivarius violin, there seem to be very few who would covet a five thousand dollar stereo system.

Now, if you decided to sell expensive speakers upholstered to match the current range of Prada handbags, you might be on to something...

-Gnobuddy

...most women appear to be pretty well immune to the blandishments of expensive audiophoolery...

Or audiophoolery in general, so it would seem.

While there are plenty of women (violinists) alive who would love a five million dollar Stradivarius violin, there seem to be very few who would covet a five thousand dollar stereo system.
I once had the opportunity to hear a real Strad, played solo in a smallish demo room in the music store where I worked for many years. Our string tech had just returned from somewhere out east with it; he was hand-delivering it from seller to buyer. All of us back in the shop were pestering him for a listen, but he was reluctant - mainly because it had no bow, and our little midwestern indy store had nothing in stock that came even close to this level - he explained that capable bows for this instrument would start at about $20,000! (He also mentioned that the violin itself would probably appraise in the 1.2-1.5 million range. :eek: )

Anyway - we scrounged up the very best bow in the store (about a 3- or 4-thousand-dollar model I think), and he played for a bit. The thing that jumped out at me was the upper register - so smooth, so delicate, so perfect. Certainly worlds apart from anything that had come through our humble establishment to date - even with a "shitty" $3,000 bow!

Of course, later in the evening as I reflected upon this special moment, the skeptic in me couldn't help but wonder how much of what I was hearing was influenced by the usual influences - how much better did it really sound?

In the end, I guess all I can say definitively is that I got to hear a real Stradivarius up close, and it sounded pretty damned wonderful. :cool:

-- Jim

Last edited:
...the skeptic in me couldn't help but wonder how much of what I was hearing was influenced by the usual influences - how much better did it really sound?
I assume you've already read/heard about this: Blind-tested soloists unable to tell Stradivarius violins from modern instruments - The Strad

I think musicians often get caught up in voodoo beliefs about their instruments. Why, for instance, is a David Gilmour Signature Model Strat ( Fender Custom Shop Custom Shop David Gilmour Signature Stratocaster Electric Guitar | Musician's Friend ) worth four or five times as much as a standard, off-the-shelf regular Strat?

Gilmour made his original from bits and pieces of a few regular Strats; more importantly, Gilmour would sound equally good on any 'Strat he cared to pick up.

In our hunter-gatherer past, many cultures would, after killing the bear, eat it's heart, lungs, etc, with the specific belief that doing so would give them it's courage, endurance, and so on. Paying through the nose for the David Gilmour signature model 'Strat is the modern equivalent: the superstitious belief that picking up a guitar with The Great Gilmour's name printed on a decal on the headstock will somehow endow you with some part of the man's amazing abilities.

I have zero expertise with violins, and yet I am skeptical about the enhanced qualities of violin bows that cost as much as a new car; I wonder if anyone has done any double blind tests with violin bows?

-Gnobuddy

Not the fat the music

Imagine that. A cat who is enthusiastic about bacon fat. I would never have expected that! :D

Incidentally, I have considerably more fat on my bare, err, midriff than I used to. I can only assume that my ears now hear smoother, betterer music as a result.

-Gnobuddy

When my cat walks on the piano keys, and if your in another room, you'd think Fats Waller was still alive.

Yup, this is the sort of thing I was thinking about afterwards.

I think musicians often get caught up in voodoo beliefs about their instruments. Why, for instance, is a David Gilmour Signature Model Strat ( Fender Custom Shop Custom Shop David Gilmour Signature Stratocaster Electric Guitar | Musician's Friend ) worth four or five times as much as a standard, off-the-shelf regular Strat?
In my experience, the voodoo-mojo folklore stuff was even more prevalent in the musical instrument world than in the audio segment. Much of it seemed to simply go unchallenged. I would guess this is largely because the process of creating or producing music is even more subjective than that of its reproduction.

-- Jim

lots of superstition/noise can persist for long times in "crafts", old world guild style master/apprentice systems

but some things can be hard to capture in a "scientific" way

I knew a Basque luthier who had a letter of recommendation from Segovia

He eventually found a position at high rated engineering school - where he then tried to control the whole process with precision fixtures, precision rebuilt and modified machinery, carefully documented procedures - aligned his veneer sander by just removing the print from a sheet of news paper without breaking the paper...

...eventually became frustrated as each new guitar he made was rated by everyone as better sounding than his last

Last edited:
There are significant sound differences between good flutes made prior to 1900 and most good flutes made after about 1920. I can expound upon this if anyone's interested...but this is an electronic audio site. Just thought I would throw this out since some posts have recently gotten into real estate and homes with in-ground pools????? What's with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.