Iron Pumpkin(s) and other smaller vegetable animals, Tips 'n' Tricks thread

yep! That's all good

Rail noise seems to be ok...

Just tried
RCA input with RCA output = good
RCA input with XLR output = no good
XLR input with XLR output = good
XLR input with RCA output = good but last 3-4 volume notch I get low hum (I'll never reach that level in real life...)

This was tested on a single channel, left channel.

SE/BAL relay seems to be energized on both RCA inputs (1-2) as I see 22.5V on relay coil.

Do

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
take care that is possible to get hum, if you're using input with nothing connected to it

now - I remember you confirmed all readings between channel GND and chassis

taking in account that practically everything is in board, all I can think now is - check all wiring once again ..... input by input, in between buffers and Turtle, from Turtle to MoBo, from MoBo to output connectors

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
make pause for few days, to let some air in the head

then prepare proper light and send me as much pictures you're in the mood to make

dunno is it possible that you did something with JFets, if you're able to set 20mA Iq and proper 0 output offset on buffers

same with small JFets beneath pcb (CCS for voltage references and feed for shunt CCS) ....... if you have steady rails without noise, everything there is OK

coincidentally - Behruz posted few days ago about his Bal IP finished ....... sole difference is that he got pcbs fully populated and set by me .......

even if there is, on first sight, plethora of parts, construction is basically simple and not at all complicated for assembly ........ I mean - it is deliberately made that way, seeking not just good performance but also durability and reliability for many years of joy :rofl:

Hi ZM,

Yes, construction is quite easy and setup is also a breeze. I just don't know what is wrong but I have decided to get rid of the three toroid and buy a single one from Toroidy with all required secondaries. I never had issues with R-Core in the past, so I decided to use the R-Core that were supposed to be assigned to this project, to another preamplifier I already had, only to realize I was getting a faint hum/buzz, which I didn't have before... I'm guessing those R-Core are not up to R-Core standards and probably super crappy made...

My project is now paused for a few weeks, or until I receive the new toroid from Toroidy. I somehow find it odd it could be as simple as that, but who knows... I'm testing all sorts of scenarios...

All the best!
Do

Hello all!

It's been a while since I updated my project, but I was waiting on my transformer from Toroidy.

I did receive the transformers on Monday (only one for this project) but could only work on this tonight (or early in the morning...). Well... After installing the new transformer, the Iron Turtle is total silence, even at loudest volume!!! No more buzzing!! :happy1: :happy1: :drink:

So yeah... Just use a good transformer as per ZM! :D

So happy!!!

Here's a couple pictures of the temporary setup

2021-10-30 01.55.22.jpg

2021-10-30 01.55.26.jpg

sov

Joined 2016
Paid Member
The Turtle is awesome. This is probably my last pre-amp. It’s absolute quite despite the big trafo. Shielded Toroidy is like an inverted Tardis. It’s bigger on the outside.
I have listening a couple of days and my brain is thanking me. The sound is fantastic. I will do some measurements later but whatever the oscilloscope tells me I will never get rid of this pre amp.
A Pumpkin looks even better with some fruit.

ZM, thank You! :cheers:

Attachments

• pimkin_inside.jpg
    pimkin_inside.jpg
    366.9 KB · Views: 197
  • pumkin_front.jpg
    pumkin_front.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 184