Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

I think I know what Camplo is trying to say. He meant the point in time where most of the spectral energy from a transient signal arrives.
Depending on the GD curve this point may indeed exist but it is not necessarily so.
But I guess he understood that GD is causing temporal dispersion of the input signal.

Regards

Charles

Yes, that is what i was thinking he meant, too.
Hoping he meant that really, because i believe that is an intuitive leap in understanding the relationship between the time domain (impulse / energy-time-curve response) and where on the frequency & phase traces the time domain spectral energy comes from.

attachment.php

I meant amplitude just like illustrated here... This might be with the phase component removed? What IU was trying to point out is that the amplitude of the signal is what we are hearing delayed in time.

Attachments

• GD_06_V2.jpg
    GD_06_V2.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 1,136
I have a question that is unrelated to group delay and I don't want to break the momentum there (causes the internet needs it lol) BUT I need to understand something before I can begin certain aspects of my build...

So when I take a measurement at the mouth of the horn, it is not the same measurement as 1 meter....the slope of the FR has changed and the where the HF might be down 20db at 20khz, if measured from 1 meter the FR is much closer to neutral.....WTF is that!? What part of sound physics did I miss?

I think this has something to do with the amount of direct energy?

Last edited:
I just adjusted my REW results, to a higher resolution, and the peak energy time in the CSD are corresponding to the GD.....nuff said lol, its not 1:1 but the trend is almost identical...
attachment.php

Attachments

• GD vs Peak energy time.jpg
    GD vs Peak energy time.jpg
    946.5 KB · Views: 1,052
Last edited:
Well, Holger's own JBL 2234s do also have a 4" voice coil and mms of > 100 grams. So I don't understand that point of critique. While an xmech of 37 mm isn't interesting for HiFi usage it is also only of particular interest regarding robustness in PA use. No one would reasonably use them like that.
The fact that the manufacturer recommends them for studio monitoring use tells me that they are also usable for home HiFi. There is another driver the 15nlw9500 that has lower fs and higher Qts and can therefore go lower. But it wouldn't have the two-way capabilities of the 15nlw9300.
I think Unison's choice is a reasonable one.

Regards

Charles

Holger may have had tube amps in mind when he made that comment.
While most professional midwoofers and some subwoofer drivers are fine for hi-fi use, only a few work well with low-power SET amplifiers.

I've simmed the 15NLW9300 in a medium sized and big BR cab and I'm afraid it's still a heavy load for most SET amps, despite the above average η₀ and the supposed tube-friendly impedance.
Low Qts / high BL usually requires beefier amps. Unison Research own tube amps are powerhouses compared to a 2A3 SET or similar.

So when I take a measurement at the mouth of the horn, it is not the same measurement as 1 meter....the slope of the FR has changed and the where the HF might be down 20db at 20khz, if measured from 1 meter the FR is much closer to neutral.....WTF is that!? What part of sound physics did I miss?

I think this has something to do with the amount of direct energy?

With the mic directly at the mouth you're actually measuring the direct response of the driver + horn system, including the phase induced anomalies caused by internal reflections etc.
You need to measure at some distance of the horn mouth (the acoustic source) so that the response settles out.

Herein a driver + horn is clearly different from a direct radiator > the acoustic impedance matching between the diaphragm and free air.

Last edited:
The VX 15HP polar response looks smooth from around 1kHz to near 10kHz, both horizontally and vertically, good for near and far field response on/off axis.

Without seeing the polar response of an Axi + Horn + 15", not much to compare, other than the larger Sd of the Axi's diaphragm should allow more output potential above 1.3kHz than the VX 15HP.

From Tannoy I would expect to use a Tannoy.

That's what I would expect as well.

The only Tannoy 15" Pro driver I know is the older Tannoy 3816 that was used in the V15 and which looks different from the driver in the more recent VX15 HP.

Attachments

• Tannoy v15_1.jpg
    Tannoy v15_1.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 539
  • V15 Driver.jpg
    V15 Driver.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 533
Last edited:

Attachments

• PR380T2 - Catalogue 1994_Comp..pdf
    446.7 KB · Views: 50
  • PR380M2 - Catalogue 1994_Comp.pdf
    442.1 KB · Views: 48
  • PR380M0 - Catalogue 1994_Comp..pdf
    398.6 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
The basket of that Tannoy looks as if it was sourced from the same manufacturer as Fane does. Or they even had the whole driver manufactured by Fane ......

Regards

Charles

It's made by Fane, like many drivers of UK loudspeaker manufacturers.

Quote from Electronic Music Maker, August 1981:

"Fane Acoustics, who have been making loudspeakers for the home hi-fi and television industries since their establishment in 1958 by Dennis Newbold and Arthur Falkus. Leading hi-fi manufacturers at the time, such as Daystrom, Tannoy and B & W, used Fane's early 12 inch diameter hi-fi loudspeakers and gradually the range was increased to cover 8, 10, 13 x 8, 15 and 18 inch models as well."

Funktion One also uses Fane drivers in their smaller horn tops.

This one should correspond to the requirements of the thread title.

Attachments

• Jubilee - Spec Sheet - v01-1_Page_1.jpg
    Jubilee - Spec Sheet - v01-1_Page_1.jpg
    420 KB · Views: 250
  • Jubilee - Spec Sheet - v01-1_Page_2.jpg
    Jubilee - Spec Sheet - v01-1_Page_2.jpg
    666 KB · Views: 250
  • K-693_Axi2050.png
    K-693_Axi2050.png
    532.1 KB · Views: 235
  • Jubilee 2021_4.jpg
    Jubilee 2021_4.jpg