John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
It may help, depending on circumstances, never said that it couldn't, but is not a cure for all, not by any stretch of the imagination.
Your entitled to your uninformed opinion. A cure for all. What is All? It is one cure for all dynamic drivers distortion in LF res region. Hopefuly, there are other cures as well. I have great hope JN will find some more. THx-RNMarsh
Hi, Some more fun, the ACE bass patent, https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/b7/f7/8f/27bfaeafd15e55/US4118600.pdf Note problem with matching negative Re to actual Re when coil temp rises. /örjan
Good patent ..... Fig 11 shows the same distortion reduction at low freq as I get with simpler summing of current and volt fb. Even though the patents main claim to fame is lowered freq response. I got similar lower LF extension. " The distortion is clearly reduced at low frequencies compared with operation using constant voltage amplitude, but increased around 100 Hz when the speaker is operated in accordance with the invention. The increase around 100 Hz was due to the fact that the voice-coil inductance was nonlinear."

THx-RNMarsh

I should hope you would grant me an informed opinion as well..
I do. Your discussion and insight is valued by me.

Jn

Well, that and a quarter....
But I tell it like it is..

I have great hope JN will find some more.
THx-RNMarsh
Split the aluminum and brass rings, made an iron one.
Will test, will present.
Good, bad, whatever. Results are results.

Jn

What is you ETA on doing these tests?
-RNM
Monday will do the split alum and brass ring and iron ring, Tuesday I will cut the iron ring.
Parts express has starting shipment of the two additional drivers, but ups doesn't yet give shipping info..

Is there some kind of deadline I am not aware of? Because, I am not aware of, nor care if there is one...
I do know..I took part of my lathe apart and cleaned/burnished the mechanism.. It had problems with the leadscrew. Nothing that cleaning and greasing couldn't fix..turns out, cutting iron is more difficult and shows the issues not present with brass and aluminum. Who knew...well, other than my tech.

Jn

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Is there some kind of deadline I am not aware of? Because, I am not aware of, nor care if there is one...

Jn
Nothing to do with your time line.... I have my own time time and will be on travel from 22 Sept. Like to know if I should wait, hold my breath or forget about it for awhile.... for when ever you will be ready.

Permanently, moving to Bangkok. Don't intend on ever returning.

-RM

Nothing to do with your time line.... I have my own time time and will be on travel from 22 Sept. Like to know if I should wait, hold my breath or forget about it for awhile.... for when ever you will be ready.

Permanently, moving to Bangkok. Don't intend on ever returning.-RM
I wish you well. My endeavors here are at whim. Life is what it is. I follow my interests, this speaker inductance thing, most interesting.

Jn

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I do the same. Follow my interests. Right now it is boring and politics is totally crazy now. More fun else where. Shipped all the test equipment I still use to my place in Bangkok :eek: $9500 USD. ..... and gave away or loaned everything else to Mark4 and Jam (ex Pass Labs designer).

Way better health care system there too. House is up for sale. Private 2 acres, 3300 sq ft/ 3-4 bdroom if anyone is interested in northern Calif living. Inside heated pool etc.

On my way out the door in a week. Party time !

Never get stagnate.
-Richard

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
It is no worse than San Francisco area or LA and since I dont have to go to work, I just move thru during the off peak times.

It is an amazingly dynamic, high energy place. Perfectly situated between power house countries like China and India. Great infrastructure. beautiful women :) Eye candy.

I will still hang in here at DIYAudio from time time, of course.

-Richard

Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I do the same. Follow my interests. Right now it is boring and politics is totally crazy now. More fun else where. Shipped all the test equipment I still use to my place in Bangkok :eek: $9500 USD. ..... and gave away or loaned everything else to Mark4 and Jam (ex Pass Labs designer).

Way better health care system there too. House is up for sale. Private 2 acres, 3300 sq ft/ 3-4 bdroom if anyone is interested in northern Calif living. Inside heated pool etc.

On my way out the door in a week. Party time !

Never get stagnate.
-Richard

Best wishes in your move Richard. Trust it goes smoothly and you enjoy your tome over there. I spent 10 years in Asia and still get a hankering to go back. Awesome experience - I consider myself very lucky.

:)

Moving away from muricah' for good sounds so dramatic, is the 4th Reich about to collapse.. anyway hope your kidneys situation are in checks and balance, you might want to look into how to possibly reverse the situation with a holistic approach and that includes stage 5.
Enjoy your new life Richard.

Cheers Michael

I had no idea how hard ferrite is. My bandsaw couldn't touch it. Gasket off, surround detached, basket off magnet, front plate removed and cut in two.

First tried cutting faceplate on magnet. Don't bother, trying to clean iron filings from a gap with more than a tesla field....no way. So used a chisel to pop the epoxy holding the faceplate, cleaned it all up.

Next, detach of spider. I will try chemistry first, I recall Ed mentioning gum out carb cleaner. Basket mounting surface deformed when I detached it from faceplate, so I have to flatten that. I will use 2 mil nomex insulator between magnet and faceplate if ferrite conducts. If not, epoxy. Basket will have insulation to the faceplate, was thinking 10 oz glass cloth with epoxy.

Will sweep bare vc tomorrow as well.

Jn

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Best wishes in your move Richard. Trust it goes smoothly and you enjoy your tome over there. I spent 10 years in Asia and still get a hankering to go back. Awesome experience - I consider myself very lucky.

:)

Thank you --- 10 years is long enough to begin to know it in some depth. It is very different... almost extreme compared to western culture. But, I am long over the culture shock. Been going there 20 or so years. Feels like home now.

-Richard

Moving away from muricah' for good sounds so dramatic, is the 4th Reich about to collapse.. anyway hope your kidneys situation are in checks and balance, you might want to look into how to possibly reverse the situation with a holistic approach and that includes stage 5. Enjoy your new life Richard.

Cheers Michael

IMO it has collaspsed a long time ago. The party is over. Burnt toast here.

Kidney situation is a question mark. At my age, 12 more years is the end of it for most people anyway and I can nurse this kidney that long.

Most people dont know what will cause their death... only that you Will die. Its a big surprise awaiting you at the end. In my case, i already know so nothing to worry about.

Onward and upward... more learning to do, more adventures to have. More help and love to give. Got to hang in for my girl (well, looks more like a woman now). See her get launched into an engineering career. So I am positioning myself to help her and be more often able to visit -- being closer. She will stay in Asia.. maybe Thailand after she her EE degree. USA refused her admit into country in USA 3 times. Done trying. Its basically, because she comes from poor family in poor country. Subsistence farmers. Dont care if she got max SAT score possible in math and 160 IQ and top grades.

Old world Sarada / New world Sara.

67064328_882395702120370_6029895841748090880_n.jpg 51423112_410913679451822_6285247611888730112_n.jpg
THx-Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.