John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I forgot to mention that I added a common mode choke in the circuit as well. By a 'Quality' transformer I mean a low capacitance, non-toroid, oversize transformer.

John,
Torroids can work too if well designed. Jam has some good power supply torroids made to his specifications. Same for interconnection cable wires, very interesting wire that is too. Trying a pair of Jam's cables for connecting AK4499 balanced outputs to Neurochrome HP-1 balanced inputs sounded different enough to cause me to do a number of cable comparisons, including the latest Mogami star quad. I was pretty much stunned to find they all sounded different, some better than others, at least in that particular application. There went another long-standing belief I had to discard. Couldn't believe 3-feet of high-quality balanced line could have a sound. (Connectors were made the same on all cables to rule out effects possibly caused by differences there.)

To be fair, I think I know that some of what is going on with the cable can be accounted for by a little very low level RF leaking out of the dac. However, I am told cables sound different in other applications too where there is no known source of RF.

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Contrary to Scott, material things dont matter that much to me.
This seems to me a twisting of the reality or at least the part of it that has been displayed here for some years but in the end you come in line with Mr. Wurcer.

They really do look at your watches.

I would have no chance with a 20 years old, metal case CASIO on my wrist.

George

This seems to me a twisting of the reality or at least the part of it that has been displayed here for some years but in the end you come in line with Mr. Wurcer.

Contrary to me now that is hilarious, I have to admit my car finally got washed but that was because they did some body work and the wash was a courtesy. I never wear a watch either. I guarantee you will get the same good service from any street food vendor in Asia even if you don't wear a watch.

Last edited:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
And, subtle things like the watch you wear tells them their position in relationship to you. Thus, how they are to behave.

-Richard

".. how they are to...."

Sad really...

//

OK, carry on with the nonsense. I genuinely find your posts offensive, and they have been getting worse. You used to at least try to talk about electronics, now it's just all the same nonsense over and over again. You have not had a post here about audio in ages, just the same tired fake magic claims and zero evidence. I don't care about your party tricks with wine, nor do I believe them.

+1

Disabled Account
Joined 2012

George
Nah. Thats just spin. Maybe because I like high performance and quality and buy it.

I have always been the same.

-Richard

.. I was pretty much stunned to find they all sounded different, some better than others, at least in that particular application. There went another long-standing belief I had to discard. Couldn't believe 3-feet of high-quality balanced line could have a sound. .

:D

:cheers:

:up:

-RNM

Headroom: My invention makes everything sound better. Proof? Just try it.
Trier: I tried it. I didn't hear a difference. So that disproves it, right?
Headroom: Not at all. Your hearing just isn't good enough.
Trier: Wait a minute. You said the proof was in my listening and I didn't hear any difference.
HR: Look, if my invention makes everything sound better and you can't hear it, the only thing that proves is that your hearing is faulty.
Trier: But that assumes what you're trying to prove.
HR: Not at all. All my friends hear a difference. Even a random woman in a parking lot with earbuds heard a difference. Are you calling them liars?
Trier: Of course not. I don't know what they heard.
HR: Exactly. Because your hearing is faulty.

You forgot “The ftp server knocked the flooby off the files”.

......I was pretty much stunned to find they all sounded different, some better than others, at least in that particular application. There went another long-standing belief I had to discard. Couldn't believe 3-feet of high-quality balanced line could have a sound.
Why would you believe such cables to sound the same in the first case ?.
How long have you been involved in audio for this to be such a revelation ?.
To be fair, I think I know that some of what is going on with the cable can be accounted for by a little very low level RF leaking out of the dac.
How different are the RLC electrical properties of the cables you have auditioned and what do you think is the mechanism ?.
However, I am told cables sound different in other applications too where there is no known source of RF.
And you have not experimented for yourself, what are you waiting for ?.

Dan.

I actually have some experience listening to that new style of music and enjoy a lot of it, I find it hard to contemplate what most of it is supposed to sound like so I just revert to factors of pleasantness.
Hi Bob, yes this Dance/Club music does not have to sound 'real', in fact the laid on effects are expected part of the genre.
I use many tracks of this style in testing and have stumbled on quite a few tweaks that helped all genres across the board to sound better because of it.
Agreed, getting 'unnatural' music to sound good can be useful in getting other genres to sound right.
In this case I can see a progressive improvement in depth and focus track #1 to track #3 but you can only polish a turd so much.......it’s overly compressed to start with.
Ok, so you hear differences in tweaking of the same interconnect cable, now just wait for 'non-believers' ie believers that there cannot be difference to insult you and try to drag you down, such is life.
So thanks for responding, do you reckon you would be able to differentiate any two files in ABX ? (I'm not asking you to do so, I'm just asking if you reckon that the differences are strong enough for you to pick).

Regards, Dan.

Career doing what, cleaning the toilets?
Grow up Chris.

Checking out the old neighborhood!

I wish that we could get back to what it takes to make better audio quality. Much of what really works is not directly derived from textbook engineering. That is what makes audio reproduction so interesting!

Hi John.
Its been close to five years since I have visited this forum and it's good to see your still alive and making waves; still trying to steer the conversation back to the grey areas of audio design as well. Good luck with that!:rolleyes:

I hope the world is treating you well. Best regards, Mike

... they all sounded different, some better than others, ... There went another long-standing belief I had to discard...
I hope that someday there would be found a way to show with measurement that elusive cable difference so many seem to hear. Let me point that it had been quite difficult to show a difference between current drive and voltage drive on midrange and tweeters using single tone tests while FFT spectrum on a multitone test show a difference easier to evaluate. Technical understanding on a previously unmeasured issue should fuel better advancement in audio since all subjective opinion is difficult to communicate and more or less biased. But as NP said "... it's a subtle thing. I don't suppose everyone can hear it, and fewer particularly care ...".

..... so any preferential treatment I may receive in life ........

I'm sorry... What is "preferential treatment"? :confused:

..as to the "gang up on Richard" crowd..I totally agree, he needs to be TAKEN DOWN...

Not sure why, but that's not gonna stop me..

The watch thing, I cannot speak from experience on such a cultural thing but can certainly understand such a difference. I may not think along those lines, but it seems some here are arguing points as if Richard defined the cultural behavior...as opposed to reporting such..

As to the 12 cylinder car and lack of desire for material things, yes I do see a disconnect there.. But, life moves on..

Dan...you cite as proof of your oddball theories, a fully debunked crackpot. I also find such posts and links offensive.

Jn

Last edited:
I wish that we could get back to what it takes to make better audio quality.
Amen.

Much of what really works is not directly derived from textbook engineering. That is what makes audio reproduction so interesting! This week I had a pleasant experience with a 'make work' project that came out well.
I decided to build my own 7.5V power supply that could possibly sound as good as a battery.
I decided on an open loop buffer type design with a QUALITY transformer, (same as a Blowtorch) high speed rectifier diodes, and quality caps, from Vendetta and Blowtorch designs. I basically made a high current version of a Vendetta input stage power supply with a Norton equivalent voltage source and a power transistor for the output buffer. It is quiet, but it is not a perfect DC regulator and the voltage will change somewhat with loading, but it sounds great! Sometimes, the wrong measurements are emphasized to the loss of audio quality overall. I believe that I made the right trade-offs.

While some circuits have better PSRR than others, I think power supply quality has a major influence on sound quality, or letting the powered circuit perform as designed.

I found it interesting on the build thread for Salas' "Folded Simplistic Phono" that some people claimed to get better performance by using a hugely over-spec'ed transformer in the unregulated PSU. Of course, the phono preamp circuit itself is a single-ended design with essentially 0 PSR, but the overall circuit includes a very good shunt regulator with very low noise, low output impedance over a wide bandwidth, and very good regulation. Those advocating big transformers (as in 90VA or more for a phono preamp) would say that these oversize transformers have better response to transient load changes. But the first part of the regulator is a CCS, so the load seen by the transformer is static, the current drawn from the raw supply is never more nor less than what the constant current source is set to draw, so there is no dynamic load seen by the unregulated supply.

I have no reason to doubt what people heard when they did the experiment, and I didn't try other transformers, but I can't make sense of the offered explanation.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I would say much of audio circuitry is good engineering especially if you look at the instrumentation industry. Bob Cordell’s excellent new book would also be a good example. But none of these tell us about the sound we will get in the end.
That part can take a fair amount of time and is where ears and experience come into play. Audio keeps improving even if it moves forward and backwards and sometimes sideways. Like my dad says about church I wouldn’t come here if I didn’t hear something that was worth at least thinking about.

I wish that we could get back to what it takes to make better audio quality. Much of what really works is not directly derived from textbook engineering. That is what makes audio reproduction so interesting!

In my experience the bridged concept of power amplifier results in "better audio quality", mostly for the reason that CMV output interference voltages are suppressed to high degree, even at very high frequencies. The amp should be designed as bridged from the beginning, that means the simple bridge connection of a commercial amplifier will probably not make the same job. The other advantage, other than CMV suppression, is the fact that analog ground is not polluted by high current load return.

Some scope screens attached. It is measured at speaker terminals, behind 6m of the speaker cable, in my listening room. Measurements made against analog ground, outputs OUT+ and OUT- connected to CH1 and CH2 of the oscilloscope. One can see that CH1 and CH2 traces overlap. The EMI signal is a local AM transmitter, operating at 1062kHz. However, the load sees the difference signal, CH1 - CH2, which is represented by the red oscilloscope trace. We can see that it is clean, and it keeps clean even in a higher time resolution. Same principle works even for potential LF CMV.

BTW, everything is a "textbook engineering", depends on level of application. Personally, I do not appreciate dissolving the issue to common uncertainty and mystery, which makes the starting point to magical cure.

Attachments

• P1030305-1.JPG
    P1030305-1.JPG
    205.7 KB · Views: 234
  • P1030306-1.JPG
    P1030306-1.JPG
    186.1 KB · Views: 229
Status
Not open for further replies.