John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is measured at speaker terminals, behind 6m of the speaker cable, in my listening room. Measurements made against analog ground,
Where was scope ground connected?? At amplifier signal ground, before 6m speaker cable? IMO, important is signal at speaker terminals...
Try to measure the same with no bridge amplifier, scope ground at speaker terminal ground..

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
...as to the "gang up on Richard" crowd..I totally agree, he needs to be TAKEN DOWN...

Not sure why, but that's not gonna stop me..

The watch thing, I cannot speak from experience on such a cultural thing but can certainly understand such a difference. I may not think along those lines, but it seems some here are arguing points as if Richard defined the cultural behavior...as opposed to reporting such..

As to the 12 cylinder car and lack of desire for material things, yes I do see a disconnect there.. But, life moves on..

Dan...you cite as proof of your oddball theories, a fully debunked crackpot. I also find such posts and links offensive.

Jn
I love a clear thinker..... hahaha take me down JN....
yes, obviously reporting on cultural crazy stuff. No culture is without.

But, you bring up a point I can see needs clearing up..... owning a W12 TT Bentley is not for its material-ism. Nor status seeking as Scott likes to spin it. In fact the car is my wife's who wanted it because she saw how much detail and attention went into it. It is for its quality and over-all performance and beauty. My car is a CTS-V which is more like a high perf race car. My point was I had no tinges of pain or any remorse in getting rid of them all. Its just nice stuff to experience. But, I am not wedded to any of it. I am just as happy in my little condo with no car at all.

20141202_111251.jpg

-RNMarsh

Last edited:
I'm sorry... What is "preferential treatment"? :confused:

Jn
As per context of the conversation......the preferential treatment one might expect in a service related setting by slipping on a Rolex instead of a timex.

Hi Bob, yes this Dance/Club music does not have to sound 'real', in fact the laid on effects are expected part of the genre.

Agreed, getting 'unnatural' music to sound good can be useful in getting other genres to sound right.
Ok, so you hear differences in tweaking of the same interconnect cable, now just wait for 'non-believers' ie believers that there cannot be difference to insult you and try to drag you down, such is life.

So thanks for responding, do you reckon you would be able to differentiate any two files in ABX ? (I'm not asking you to do so, I'm just asking if you reckon that the differences are strong enough for you to pick).

Regards, Dan.

If I was to flip between file one and file three my money says yes no problem on identifying which is which. File one is flat and one dimensional, file three still lacks dynamics but has much better depth and focus.

I must add that whatever you did does not fix what’s wrong with file one..... just makes it a bit more palatable. Track three as it stands would never make it onto any playlist of mine.....it’s not a cure all but your technique might be good for cleaning up a crappy recording of historical/personal importance.

Hi Bob, you should have four files available to you...did I not set a permission ?, also I am not certain which files you are talking about without their full names. I have renamed the files with number prefixes Dropbox Files Renamed. I agree the mixdown is heavily compressed (for effect) and was normalised to - 0.1dB and sounded rotten....when will youngster learn about normalising too loud !. The 01 - file is the original file that has been attenuated by 2dB to prevent digital overs (clipping) during the loopback processing and the other three files are the loopback recordings. As a note this track is collaboration between a DK local dance music DJ who wrote the tune and did the mixdown, and my son who wrote the lyrics and performed the vocals. If you are willing to take another listen and clarify your findings that would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Dan.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Hi Richard,
Nice to see you at the place where you like to live. From the photo it's not clear how small or big the condo is. Have you seen or heard the amp?
Best wishes, Damir
hi Damir,

As soon as I get my sleep pattern back to normal, I will be doing a lot of listening.

Whole condo would fit in my Calif home living room. But here it is medium size. I plan on getting a house here, later.

Hope you are well and happy....

<3,
-Richard

Last edited:
But, I am not wedded to any of it. I am just as happy in my little condo with no car at all.
Richard you are turning green, good for you, Greta & the earth will like you :) I'll stick to my Camry as I can not walk to the grocer. A horse & buggy would work, it could chew away in the farmers hay field in the back. I'd be paying them instead of PetroCan.

At least you did your down sizing already, if you move yet again, wow, I hate moving, but if you pay for the slugs & it is all boxed up, it ain't too bad I guess :)

How's the sound insulation in your condo, Damir's amp is 200+W is it not? maybe a bit over kill for the surroundings perhaps?

Good Luck to you and your ears

hi Damir,

As soon as I get my sleep pattern back to normal, I will be doing a lot of listening.

Whole condo would fit in my Calif home living room. But here it is medium size. I plan on getting a house here, later.

Hope you are well and happy....

<3,
-Richard
Did you send the JBLs to BKK, or sold those too? They might be too large for the condo, you need some open baffle speakers :D

I hope you will be travelling before you decide on BKK. (I am not really a fan of BKK, try to avoid it as much as possible.)

Where was scope ground connected?? At amplifier signal ground, before 6m speaker cable? IMO, important is signal at speaker terminals... Try to measure the same with no bridge amplifier, scope ground at speaker terminal ground..
I have the measurements you are requesting. The fact is that the balanced/ bridged topology is most effective re HF CMV EMI suppression ať load. Maybe it is not important, maybe yes, however it is good and better than a SE topology, in this regard.

I have been long enough in audio to know all cables sound the same, bar some outliers, and that those who argue differently usually do so for financial gain.
Markw4 said he is not in audio business. But then "is" being the key word, it's becoming more and more likely that he will be soon and he is priming the area for the "paint" to stick to, figuratively speaking. :bulb:

I find headphone Youtube playback is good enough to differentiate loudspeakers, interconnect cables, speaker cables and guitar cables in comparison reviews.
Dan.

Dan,

I have no doubt these things are in your mind. However before you attribute them to external stimulus, if you have not already please read Musicophilia by Dr. Oliver Sacks: Musicophilia | Oliver Sacks, M.D. | Author, Neurologist | On The Move, Hallucinations, Musicophilia, Awakenings, The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat Chapter 11 is especially relevant to our hobby...

Best regards,
Howie

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Did you send the JBLs to BKK, or sold those too? They might be too large for the condo, you need some open baffle speakers :D

I hope you will be travelling before you decide on BKK. (I am not really a fan of BKK, try to avoid it as much as possible.)

I gave them and amps/x-over to Mark4 for his pleasure and use until I have a larger room. Which means, a house. But then It will be further out side the city and now I am back to owning a car(s) again, etc.

I plan to do a lot of travelling from this centrally located city. USA is so isolated with a huge ocean on either side that to travel ASEAN regions is long and hard on me. Here is more bester.

Meanwhile, the mob I hang out with has a large well designed listening/show room which i might put M2 in until I have my own house again. And, I do have a fairly good headphone amp and headphones for condo.

-Richard

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.