John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howie: When you say 'shielded power transformers' do you mean electrostatic shield (which I personally consider a must) or Goss band/metal box?

Goss.. Toss...joss...hoss..?
Hmm. :D

Isn't spellcheck wonderful.

Jn

Howie,

On my size systems, inside a rack even unbalanced is okay. Between racks in the same room and circuit panel, electronically balanced is used. Between rack rooms or different AC power panels audio isolation transformers are always used.

The consultants who design systems have given up on the issue and just specify digital audio for every possible interconnection and then have a duplicate system for back-up.

The master control room audio system whenever possible is an isolation transformer.

All power is 208 volt Y.

It is not unusual to have an amplifier room circuit breaker panel rated for 200 amps 3 phase Y 208 volts. Of course these must be motor rated breakers to handle the current surges!

Then there was the place with electronic load sensing breakers. The electricians installing them set the trip point wrong. Destroyed the breakers and caused a system failure.
I must confess to little experience with such small systems. Our requirements are significantly more rigorous.

Jn

Well Ed, you are specifying the largest power supply system that I have ever encountered for audio reproduction.

I remember back 45 years ago, when John Meyer and I were asked how much stage power that might be necessary for the facility being made for The Montreux Jazz Festival. We said 50KW and they thought that we were nuts! '-)

It is tough to completely clean up a power amp power supply. Fixed regulation is inefficient, toroids are leaky, etc. Conditioners may help, but often they limit performance of the amps as well.

Parasound is coming out with a compromise using a big toroid per channel 2200VA for the output stages, and an R core for the driver and input circuits, with double regulation. I hope it makes a difference.

Last edited:
...It is tough to completely clean up a power amp power supply. Fixed regulation is inefficient, toroids are leaky, etc. Conditioners may help, but often they limit performance of the amps as well...

Hi John,
It is true power amp AC is more expensive to condition. We have set up brute force Tempest Black LP filters that are 100 dB down at 14 KHz and 15 KVA ultra isolation transformers which in series have less than 2% voltage drop at the 10 KVA power level. These were used in a serious recording studio setup in a urban area, but collectively cost $6k. The owner stated they improved the noise floor, so the dynamic range was expanded at the low end of the scale...

Cheers,
Howie

Is that what he said? Something that is easy to measure. It's a well known fact some people prefer a little RFI, can make the sound appear faster etc etc....
Yes, people like what they like, difficult to guess. As NP said here, "Anecdotally, it appears that preferences break out roughly into a third of customers liking 2nd harmonic types, a third liking 3rd harmonic, and the remainder liking neither or both. Customers have also been known to change their mind over a period of time."

Is that what he said? Something that is easy to measure. It's a well known fact some people prefer a little RFI, can make the sound appear faster etc etc....

Went back and re-read it......in a nutshell giving the amp a clean run of power from the circuit box (upgraded wiring/receptacles/cords) with the only conditioning being a parallel shuntaya defender plug in.
Also stated upgrading the amp fuse was critical.

He did mention with every improvement was getting higher ascc numbers....but no numbers were given.

Any way you look at it, seems less is more in this case.....I already have a dedicated 12/2 20a circuit from the box with hospital grade outlets so seems as though choking the available current with the Furman is possibly my problem.

Only thing is i’m in the middle of finishing my interior and won’t be able to test the theory for a couple three weeks.

Btw.....how does a parallel surge protector like the shuntaya defender work?
Does it short circuit and trip the breaker?

Edit.....after checking eBay I see the monster 7000 available for under $500....is this something that stays stable with age/use or would a used one be a can of worms?

Last edited:
Is is a MK II or the original version? MK II is the one to get.
Also, shipping cost can be substantial due to the weight.

It’s a original version. My power seems fairly clean we just live in area prone to t-storms and regular blinks/surges.....that is my main concern. If the Furman is the culprit what’s the cheapest least invasive way to address that concern?

Oh dear, I was hoping the word "choke" wasn't the issue :)
:confused:

For $500 (asssuming shipping is affordable) get it. There are at least 3 people on this thread who can help you fix it if broken and if you don't like it you can move it on for what you paid.

True......thanks bill.

If I go that route I should probably wait for a mkII to show up like mark says.

Is the monster 7000 as good at surge protection or is it just fused?

Dan....

The Monster HTPS-7000 is/was the most advanced specifically for audio only line isolation and filtration ever sold. Included are two 200VA ultra isolation transformers made to my spec.

Well worth the $1500 retail selling price. Built to last a life time. Heavy duty construction. UL tested and approved, too. Contrary to Scott, I also do Real engineering.
Thanks Richard for posting the info. I used to have a Belkin Pure AV filter/conditioner with delayed starts and supervisory display of volts and current like this....

Belkin psu 01.jpg

The filtering looks to be not dissimilar to what you implemented and it worked as advertised in terms of reducing mains noise BUT I couldn't get past the ferrite sound it injected into the system so out it went.

I now know how to eliminate or at least minimise ferrite sound so perhaps I rejected it too soon, someday I will experiment with different core materials including different ferrite formulations and powdered iron cores. What core materials did you use and where and why ?.

Dan.

Status
Not open for further replies.