MarkAudio CHP-90 Enclosure Options

I have looked up Psamathe TL in a program called Hornresp.
It seems they go down to about 48hz - 3db.
Depending on how much you dampen them. It is very sensitive where and how much damping material is used.
TL has a low speed of bass notes due to larger surface area of the opening. Some like it.
I like the smaller opening which gives more pressure in the bass. I think TL suits classical music better. Correct me if I'm wrong. Such a construction can produce little lower bass tones.

Thx for checking the Psamathe TL in Hornresp!
As said earlier I have a really amazing small TL based on RS100-4 and the bass they're able to produce is amazing because is maybe not too deep, strong or tight! but is really softly gentle beating the ear drum! and this is a pleasure that I've never heard before! and that started to make me listen music again after a moment where I completely gave up and was not listening muzik at all anymore!
It is a physical bass! from a desktop 4" speaker... ;) yep, that's true, amazing!
I don't listen classic music, mostly rock and jazz and playing double bass as in "Fantômes... Futurs" of "Kham Meslien" or maybe the drums of "Oriundo" by Simone Prattico it is really a small little pleasure for the ears!
So now, with this CHP-90 I'm looking for the same sound but enhanced...

I'll try both the Psamathe and also the miniOnken custom calculated;) and let's see if it'll come out something good!!! :)

Edited again to add few words about the Audiovideoshow that I visited ystrday!
Nothing special, probably just had big expectations! but was nice to see and hear how it sounds the 330.000 euros! Marten Coltrane Momento 2! or was also really nice listening to the "AudioNec Evo 2" and after really expensive things... nicely surprised by some cheap Emotiva B2+ and finally thunderstruck!!! by some beautiful Harbeth Super hl5 that was really first time for me and wow! yeahhh! that's a sound that I like!!!
Yep, in the middle of speakers with multiple drivers costing more than "a flat in city center" ! the Harbeth really caught me!
Surprised also by hearing really some bad pop/techno music presenting really expensive speakers, then 5000 euros earphones... not bad sounding but really nothing special and emotional and I like to spend my money in other ways! ;))

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
TL has a low speed of bass notes due to larger surface area of the opening. Some like it.
I like the smaller opening which gives more pressure in the bass. I think TL suits classical music better. Correct me if I'm wrong. Such a construction can produce little lower bass tones.
Horns have bigger mouth opening, TL can have small exit especially if tapered or mass loaded. TL if well-made has less distortion than BR so sounds less loud but some people desire boomy bass.

As said earlier I have a really amazing small TL based on RS100-4 and the bass they're able to produce is amazing because is maybe not too deep, strong or tight! but is really....... "Fantômes... Futurs" of "Kham Meslien" or maybe the drums of "Oriundo" by Simone Prattico it is really a small little pleasure for the ears!
So now, with this CHP-90 I'm looking for the same sound but enhanced...
I will try to find in Youtube the themes you mentioned. By the way I discovered (at noon) an application for Linux. Qspeakers (simulate an optimizes common loudspeaker enclosures) and started to messing around with this. I'll see if if I can make something that it worth. I didn't try 6 ports or 4 ports enclosure just slot port or a tube one (for miniOnken )
I like it too !
I'll try both the Psamathe and also the miniOnken custom calculated;) and let's see if it'll come out something good!!! :)

............then 5000 euros earphones... not bad sounding but really nothing special and emotional and I like to spend my money in other ways! ;))
I believe that all these preposterously expensive items is only for "show of prestige and wealth". Studio monitor headphones till 300 Euros are the best for me . There are plenty of them from AKG or Audio Technica or Sennhiser, or .....
Elias

Last edited:
well... I have start playing with my new (for me) game. The Qspeakers (simulator written in Qt6 language) and got some "boxes". Inspect carefully the screenshots

Attachments

• Qspeakers MarkAudio CHP-90-minionken-2.png
    Qspeakers MarkAudio CHP-90-minionken-2.png
    28.1 KB · Views: 75
  • Qspeakers MarkAudio CHP-90-minionken.png
    Qspeakers MarkAudio CHP-90-minionken.png
    28.6 KB · Views: 72
  • Qspeakers MarkAudio CHP-90-sealed.png
    Qspeakers MarkAudio CHP-90-sealed.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 75
  • Qspeakers MarkAudio CHP-90-ported.png
    Qspeakers MarkAudio CHP-90-ported.png
    28 KB · Views: 80
well... I have start playing with my new (for me) game. The Qspeakers (simulator written in Qt6 language) and got some "boxes". Inspect carefully the screenshots
OK Elias thanks!
I didn't know it but in fact it seems a great program!
Playing around me too... and when you click "optimize" it gives 14L as all the other programs so that should be the right size and nice the feature to have the BR rounded vent or slotted.

OK Elias thanks!
I didn't know it but in fact it seems a great program!
Playing around me too... and when you click "optimize" it gives 14L as all the other programs so that should be the right size and nice the feature to have the BR rounded vent or slotted.
14L (17,4 x 42 x 19,5 cm) - slot 17,4 x 1,6 x 15,5 cm seems to be my next step for a basic BR!!!

Attachments

• CHP-90-14L.jpg
    CHP-90-14L.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 65
14L (17,4 x 42 x 19,5 cm) - slot 17,4 x 1,6 x 15,5 cm seems to be my next step for a basic BR!!!
After "optimize" you can further "teasing" it a little more for deeper bass. Also under the header "edit" you can choose the "type" of the port but I'm not yet familiar enough to tell you more.
We don't know the volume (magnet + basket) of the driver + the volume of sound absorbing material + the volume of the "bass-reflex tube" (plastic, wood, I have seen making tube/port wrapping twine / string on a thin former) and seems to me very sensitive to port dimensions. It is a mater of cut and try and correction to fine-tune. In a closed box I had made some years ago I fine-tuned it using sheets of cardboard to reduce the volume internally (still they are inside :unsure: )

Elias

Last edited:
After "optimize" you can further "teasing" it a little more for deeper bass. Also under the header "edit" you can choose the "type" of the port but I'm not yet familiar enough to tell you more.
We don't know the volume (magnet + basket) of the driver + the volume of sound absorbing material + the volume of the "bass-reflex tube" (plastic, wood, I have seen making tube/port wrapping twine / string on a thin former) and seems to me very sensitive to port dimensions. It is a mater of cut and try and correction to fine-tune. In a closed box I had made some years ago I fine-tuned it using sheets of cardboard to reduce the volume internally (still they are inside :unsure: )

Elias
For the magnet+basket I would say around 1L , prob less! and I think you'll NOT have to consider the tube and the damping material in the total volume...
About the Xmax, yes, 7mm

Last edited:
In return yo introduce me to "Fantômes... Futurs" of "Kham Meslien"
Elias
Thank you, nice! Didn't know them!
Greetings
Does anyone have a Frugel-horn MK3 enclosure (even though I don't like back-firing port enclosures - I believe that they are designed for bigger than mine rooms ) to mount on it the driver and test it ? I have see many Mark Audio drivers paired with the above.
Elias
Yesterday I've tried to put them in a 90cm tall pencil but unfortunately no wow! effect! :/
The construction was not perfect at all but I was expecting some amazing bass but no... I don't know why but not good resx yet even if after that I've tried an MLTL enclosure similar to the RS100 and I'm really close to what I want to hear!!!

If there is any expert around that can help getting the right size of a "simple" MLTL would be great!!!
What I'm looking for is smthg like that one in the pic... comes from the HADO speaker
The bass that I hear and really like! is some kind of "resonance" in some moment/some note/HZ that is the soft gentle "physical" effect on the ear drum I said before.
Is it possible that has something to do with the "room resonance frequency"????
Here the link to this tool that helped me find the res fr of my room... https://www.audiocheck.net/testtones_sinebursts20-200.php and so investigating about the eventual link of what I hear from that so small RS100-4 drivers! and the possible link to that "resonance"...
Any thoughts?
An expert of SpicyTL or HornResp will certainly easy model a line that will work!!!
I did manage to get close but only by hazard! :/

Attachments

• ___HADO-naked-scaled.jpg
    ___HADO-naked-scaled.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
PS: if you put the hand (4 fingers) inside that slot port of the RS100 TL you can feel really a lot of air coming out! unbelievable! so just wondering if this is some kind of "proof" that the Tline is good and correct? or just a standard effect of driver moving the air? So again, do you think there a relation with the air "moved" and the good/right bass coming out for such a small speaker?
Newbie questions certainly! sorry but I'm not really too much into audio science unfortunately!

Last edited:
PS: if you put the hand (4 fingers) inside that slot port of the RS100 TL you can feel really a lot of air coming out! unbelievable! so just wondering if this is some kind of "proof" that the Tline is good and correct? or just a standard effect of driver moving the air? So again, do you think there a relation with the air "moved" and the good/right bass coming out for such a small speaker?
Newbie questions certainly! sorry but I'm not really too much into audio science unfortunately!
In youtube I have see videos where they put a candle close to the port of the enclosure and the candle goes out ! Really strong air stream (in a narrow part of the frequency spectrum I suspect). As for room self tuning frequency by my ears... I have a cd to implement a series of tests. As I see you can have access to this here
https://www.amazon.com/Sheffield-A2TB-Test-Disc-My/dp/B000V93NKY
Better to have a copy. It is very helpful

"HADO" is very interesting (I have read the article) even though I don't like at all how they are "looking". My whims.

Elias

PS. I'm waiting for the replacement pair from soundimports. So no drivers on hand and spending time seeking around for some enclosure that maybe sounds to my ears equally nice to nandappe enclosures DDVP-12.5ML

Last edited:
Yesterday I've tried to put them in a 90cm tall pencil but unfortunately no wow! effect!

What I'm looking for is smthg like that one in the pic... comes from the HADO speaker
The bass that I hear and really like! is some kind of "resonance" in some moment/some note/HZ that is the soft gentle "physical" effect on the ear drum I said before.
'Them' = CHP-90 gen 3?

The Pensil is for damping high Qt drivers, so no 'wow' factor, just smooth response.

The HADO appears to be a small box with a large, long vent, ergo has a large/long air mass 'plug' resonating around tuning, so definitely 'physical'.

A MLTL with a large vent will be similar with how much depending on how much you damp it.

"Dem" = CHP-90 gen 3?

Pensil är till för att dämpa högt Qt-förare, så ingen "wow"-faktor, bara mjuk respons.

HADO verkar vara en liten låda med en stor, lång ventil, alltså har en stor/lång luftmassa "plugg" som resonerar kring tuning, så definitivt "fysisk".

En MLTL med en stor ventil kommer att likna hur mycket beroende på hur mycket du fuktar den.
Gen 1. First gen.

In youtube I have see videos where they put a candle close to the port of the enclosure and the candle goes out ! Really strong air stream (in a narrow part of the frequency spectrum I suspect). As for room self tuning frequency by my ears... I have a cd to implement a series of tests. As I see you can have access to this here
https://www.amazon.com/Sheffield-A2TB-Test-Disc-My/dp/B000V93NKY
Better to have a copy. It is very helpful

"HADO" is very interesting (I have read the article) even though I don't like at all how they are "looking". My whims.

Elias

PS. I'm waiting for the replacement pair from soundimports. So no drivers on hand and spending time seeking around for some enclosure that maybe sounds to my ears equally nice to nandappe enclosures DDVP-12.5ML
You get a high speed of the air through a base reflex tube if it has a small diameter.
In a 14 liter box, 30mm or 35mm bass reflex tubes are recommended for Alpair CHP-90. ~1/3 of diameter of cone.
The larger the diameter, the longer it must be at a certain frequency to which the box is tuned.
Alpair CHP-90 should be tuned at about 50hz in a 14 liter box. It is the optimal volume as the box affects the element minimally and in order to get such an even frequency curve over all frequencies. You can increase or decrease the volume slightly. +- 2 liters does not affect much.
If you tune the box with a bass reflex tube that is too small, the air velocity increases. Unfortunately, this can cause distortion from the bass reflex tube.
Skilled designers place the tube on the back of the box so that the air does not disturb and affect the experience and the sound image. If you find bass reflex tubes that have a radius at one or both ends, they partially reduce blow noise.
The bass reflex tube should preferably be no more than half as long as the depth of the box.

Last edited: