MarkAudio CHP-90 Enclosure Options

The bass reflex tube should preferably be no more than half as long as the depth of the box.
With the numbers you gave in the simulator program I use (Qspeakers) I have the curve I attach.
Port "SD" = 26,42 cm2 and "port volume" = 473ml . (calculated from the numbers at the bottom of the att. picture)
In general I don't like Bass-reflex due to their rather "sharp" tuning. I prefer to use instead passive woofer.

Elias

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-11-07_14-07-40.png
    Screenshot_2022-11-07_14-07-40.png
    35.2 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
With the numbers you gave in the simulator program I use (Qspeakers) I have the curve I attach.
Port "SD" = 26,42 cm2 and "port volume" = 473ml . (calculated from the numbers at the bottom of the att. picture)
In general I don't like Bass-reflex due to their rather "sharp" tuning. I prefer to use instead passive woofer.

Elias
Ok. I have never used a passive woofer. Or even heard one. But i understand it is a tight base sound. How deep will it go? Hz?
I never play music at strong volume.
Maybe max 90db but likely more 75-80db. What music do you like?
I play mostle pop and rock.

Last edited:
...........But i understand it is a tight base sound.
My first one was a 2-ways Celestion UL6. 6" woofer + 6" passive . How deep ? 35 Hz (but measured with "my disk" about 25Hz -6dB). Really TIGHT bass in a bookshelf size enclosure. Always on stands ! Distance to wall no more than 25cm.

"Maybe max 90db but likely more 75-80db"

Loud (90dB) ! I need my hearing for 50 years more (at least) :geek:

Jazz, World, Ethnic, Classic, Tangos,Vocals (and of course opera), Rock, Different fusion of the previous, ...... and everything else that gets my attention and suits my taste and mood.

Elias

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I feel I need to make my self clear about Bass-reflex enclosures.
Bass-reflex in my opinion "ACTING" / BEHAVES LIKE Helmholtz resonator. Rather narrow tuning devise.
WOooomf or BOOOom doesn't likes me at all. Cello is a difficult reproducible string instrument. If it is not as tight as it have to, you can't feel tango, nor the masterful performances by mstislav rostropovitch.
I'm listening to music not only by my ears BUT by my soul also. Music is a delight experiential . If something (the enclosure) spoils of that, then collapsed the emotion(s). I reject the enclosure proposed by Mark Audio exactly for this cause.
(Greece is a crossroad for different music cultures)

Elias

Last edited:
I feel I need to make my self clear about Bass-reflex enclosures.
Bass-reflex in my opinion "ACTING" / BEHAVE LIKE Helmholtz resonator. Rather narrow tuning devise.
I'm listening to music not only by my ears BUT by my soul also. Music is a delight experiential . If something (the enclosure) spoils of that, then collapsed the emotion(s). I reject the enclosure proposed by Mark Audio exactly for this cause.

Elias
OK I understand..
But then I wonder which box you prefer?
Which options are better?

Hi everyone,
here my situation is that I'm really not managing to find a box that makes them shine! and even had a thought that maybe they're just not the drivers for me! :/ so to return them and order some more trusted MAOP 7 or 10!
I'm missing the low frequencies! and I really don't mind that they go too low but I want some solid 80-200hz that here I'm not managing to get while I have more satisfaction with the small RS100!
This CHP-90 they have a more "complete" sound, much clearer and there are frequencies that are totally missing in the RS100 but in the latter the sound is somehow balanced, really pleasurable and not tiring at all while in the CHP-90 I feel much more transparency, clear mids and highs (even have to lower the highs a bit) but really lacking the lowest frequencies...
Now I have them playing in a 19L box with a transmission line similar to the one of the RS100 and this is really the best enclosure I got till now because both BR slotted or round vented, 14L, 20L, Pensil were not as good as this 19L TL, but unfortunately still not satisfying!!!

Would be great an help from LeifB60 that seems to have both the MAOP and the CHP-90 to tell us the differences...
Bit lost here!!!
I have both.
But i havnt had time for CHP-90 yet.
FR drivers dont have so strong bass as RS100. That will destroy the mids and tweeter. Maybe a 2 way solution is better for you.

I have both.
But i havnt had time for CHP-90 yet.
FR drivers dont have so strong bass as RS100. That will destroy the mids and tweeter. Maybe a 2 way solution is better for you.
OK no worries but yes! when you get them a comparison with the MAOP would be really great.
In the meantime... I deleted the previous post because while troubleshooting the problem I was checking that was not some polarity inverted problem! and found something weird that I'm still investigating so I'll post soon an update!

OK no worries but yes! when you get them a comparison with the MAOP would be really great.
In the meantime... I deleted the previous post because while troubleshooting the problem I was checking that was not some polarity inverted problem! and found something weird that I'm still investigating so I'll post soon an update!
Ok.. I've been listening to the Alpair 7 in a FH and it was against a wall to boost the bass. The base impresses on such a small FH. It wasn't earth-shattering, but it went deep.

Ok.. I've been listening to the Alpair 7 in a FH and it was against a wall to boost the bass. The base impresses on such a small FH. It wasn't earth-shattering, but it went deep.
Oh OK! So finally really waiting that you put those CHP in some box and post some comment, specially for the lowest frequencies!

I've decided to try some other box to see if I manage to take out from them a decent bass that I like otherwise I'll really return them and take a MAOP 7 or 10.
What is sure is that I want a desktop build, even if bit larger than usual I don't mind but this is the place where I listen to music 8hrs everyday so will be a waste make some FH that I'll occasionally use...
That GR you propose could also be an option even if not too fan of that weird shape.
As I'm trying many different versions maybe I give a try also to this!

You Elias ? Certainly going big? and also with additional PR?
Does it make sense to buy a fullrange if you have to add something to it?
But that's just my point of you as I don't want to put hands in any crossover for the moment!

By the way I'm really surprised by this lack of "solid" low end of this CHP-90 :/ and so would also like to ask nandappe what he think/hear on this subject, having certainly much more experience than me!!! Thank you if you can tell us something! ;)
For example... how they compare the MAOP10 and CHP90 for the low freq? Alpair 10 maybe even better? Or simply I'm just not getting the right box???

Last edited:
Oh OK! So finally really waiting that you put those CHP in some box and post some comment, specially for the lowest frequencies!

I've decided to try some other box to see if I manage to take out from them a decent bass that I like otherwise I'll really return them and take a MAOP 7 or 10.
What is sure is that I want a desktop build, even if bit larger than usual I don't mind but this is the place where I listen to music 8hrs everyday so will be a waste make some FH that I'll occasionally use...
That GR you propose could also be an option even if not too fan of that weird shape.
As I'm trying many different versions maybe I give a try also to this!

You Elias ? Certainly going big? and also with additional PR?
But that's just my point of you as I don't want to put hands in any crossover for the moment!

By the way I'm really surprised by this lack of "solid" low end of this CHP-90 :/ and so would also like to ask nandappe what he think/hear on this subject, having certainly much more experience than me!!! Thank you if you can tell us something! ;)
For example... how they compare the MAOP10 and CHP90 for the low freq? Alpair 10 maybe even better? Or simply I'm just not getting the right box???
Well MiniOnken with Alpair 10Maop dont go so deep.
Maybe 45-50 hz. - 3db. But base is articulate and it is easy to hear the bass line. Never just one bass sound.
The sound is well balanced in my room. Speakers are one meter from the wall.
I realy enjoy the music.

Last edited:
Well MiniOnken with Alpair 10Maop dont go so deep.
Maybe 45-50 hz. - 3db. But base is articulate and it is easy to hear the bass line. Never just one bass sound.
The sound is well balanced in my room. Speakers are one meter from the wall.
I realy enjoy the music.
Oh OK thx!
As said earlier I really don't need that is goes too low but need that "bold" presence of all the lowest end...
Hard to explain but maybe I'll simply post some song as in my setting right now, playing the CHP alone on their 19L "TL labyrinth" and then how it change together with the RS100-4 "TL labyrinth" build.
Even if a phone recording is not so good it will certainly give the idea of what I'm missing!
I'm also trying to find some setting with the FXSound equalizer to have the same base as the RS and right now I found it quite similar putting +2/90hz +3/160hz +2/280hz +1/541hz

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Oh OK thx!
As said earlier I really don't need that is goes too low but need that "bold" presence of all the lowest end...
Hard to explain but maybe I'll simply post some song as in my setting right now, playing the CHP alone on their 19L "TL labyrinth" and then how it change together with the RS100-4 "TL labyrinth" build.
Even if a phone recording is not so good it will certainly give the idea of what I'm missing! ;)
Yes it's hard to explain.. Sound is so complicated to tell as it's mostly emotions.
The electronics can of course affect and the room as well.
Really nice if you can explain what you're missing even if it's difficult.

Elias ? Certainly going big? and also with additional PR?
"Theoretically" passive woofers doesn't need any kind of cross-over BUT they need tuning by adding weight in small increments to find the right tuning for the volume of the enclosure in conjunction with the room resonance + your "taste".

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users