MarkAudio CHP-90 Enclosure Options

A capture of my screen with some important details for the passive (I can't recall where I found)
In Fs the phase is -180 to the active driver. If CHP goes down to 48Hz I expect to give me some +dB.
The photos of the real "thing"

Elias

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-11-09_14-25-34.png
    Screenshot_2022-11-09_14-25-34.png
    32.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 1667996545168.jpg
    1667996545168.jpg
    393.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 1667996545162.jpg
    1667996545162.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
"Theoretically" passive woofers doesn't need any kind of cross-over BUT they need tuning by adding weight in small increments to find the right tuning for the volume of the enclosure in conjunction with the room resonance + your "taste".
OK Elias I see! Didn't know...
Checking the Frequency Response graph of both RS100-4 and CHP-90 it looks like I'm prob suffering from what is visible that happens btw 200 and 500hz! so the lower midrange!!! and not the real bass itself! In that zone the RS100 seems to have a bit more flat response in that range that prob I like more...
I'll try play a bit with APO to see if I manage to find what's the problem!
Any other thoughts? Suggestions?

Attachments

• CHP90-FR.jpg
    CHP90-FR.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 61
  • rs100-4fr2.jpg
    rs100-4fr2.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
OK Elias I see! Didn't know...
Checking the Frequency Response graph of both RS100-4 and CHP-90 it looks like I'm prob suffering from what is visible that happens btw 200 and 500hz! so the lower midrange!!! and not the real bass itself! In that zone the RS100 seems to have a bit more flat response in that range that prob I like more...
Any thoughts? Suggestions?
maybe a "base correction/ baffle step correction circuit" ? But using something like this the efficiency of the speaker is reduced..
In my case , if everything fails I will start :headbash: for been rushed & sloppy & didn't wait for it to be tried by some first, before buying it.
From the published frequency plot I see now that at 40Hz the output is JUST 74dB or so !
Maybe a really really wrong purchase

Elias

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Nandappes have tested it.
Well all cant like the Alpair CHP-90.
But on the measured frequency curve it looked promising. There really isn't that much difference between the RS100 and the CHP-90 between 200-500hz.
He did and I trust him BUT my sitting room where I like to place them is not as his listening room.
Furthermore I see a deep between 3KHz ~ 4KHz. Not at all good !
I compare right this moment to this:
chrome-extension://bocbaocobfecmglnmeaeppambideimao/pdf/viewer.html?file=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.scan-speak.dk%2Fdatasheet%2Fpdf%2F10f-8424g00.pdf
What a "sweet" driver , but no big sound bellow 80Hz (but more expensive)

Elias

Last edited:
maybe a "base correction/ baffle step correction circuit" ? But using something like this the efficiency of the speaker is reduced..
In my case , if everything fails I will start :headbash: for been rushed & sloppy & didn't wait for it to be tried by some first, before buying it.
From the published frequency plot I see now that at 40Hz the output is JUST 74dB or so !
Maybe a really really wrong purchase

Elias
It can finally be just me not finding the right way! but maybe you make your build and just love it as it is! ;)

Last edited:
Listening right now to this Simone Prattico great album!

and... with just some little (1-2db) "touch" to a bunch low/mid freq in APO (PEACE) they play def well!!!
Another planet from the RS100 in terms of details and quality! No doubt about it!
Also "Quartieri Spagnoli" from the same author is always on top of my latest playlists!
Another thing to certainly consider is that I'm listening to them near field, at 70-80 from my ears, and this will certainly have some influence...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Listening right now to this Simone Prattico great album!

and... with just some little (1-2db) "touch" to a bunch low/mid freq in APO (PEACE) they play def well!!!
Another planet from the RS100 in terms of details and quality! No doubt about it!
Also "Quartieri Spagnoli" from the same author is always on top of my latest playlists!
Another thing to certainly consider is that I'm listening to them near field, at 70-80 from my ears, and this will certainly have some influence...
Nice drums.

Comparing these drivers is silly. They are completely different. Just look at the Vas spec difference. The box has to match what the driver was designed for.
I'm not listening by "specs". But even so, look at how "even" is the plot of 10F ScanSpeaks. I have the driver and I'm familiar with the echo-chroma and the smoothness. Maybe I am silly, but this is me and I like how I am.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scanspeak 10F is a good FR. Unfortunately haven't heard it. Want to rate it?
It is the 10F/8424G00 in an enclosure called "Picolino 3" designed by Timmersmanss. Very dynamic sound with tight bass. Not lower than 80Hz! A small TL (stored safely). It is not comparable of course to my 2-ways Focal (I have ALSO stored because my 3,5 y.o son has already damaged some other FR drivers -visaton B80 - stiking his little finger directly to the dust-cup :cry::cry::cry::cry:)

Elias

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The attempt was to have a helper woofer that acted as a stand for the Mar-Kel70. Two different carpenters, they did not end up being the same exact footprint making them look awkward. And somewhat failed in that they added little extension downward, just more. They are decent woofers, 2x CSS EL166eN in a Woden specified ML-TL. Free for anyone that can come pick them up, they evem come with an analog electronic crossover (need a bit of TLC)

Here they are with the cloths they now sport:

MK70wT-fir-wWoofT-comp.jpg

The Mar-Kel70 are one of 3 pair of speakers i would like to keep (many others to sell or give away), Built by Bernie from the old growth Douglas Fir (a pine), originally for A12 (the metal one, just Okish sonics, but killed by the infamous kid’d finger of death), EL70 fit the same volume and went lower so a darl walnut insert was fitted to support the smaller driver and the cross-section of th events was decreased to tune them lower — you see 6 vents per side as opposed to the normal 3. The walnut ring schramed out to be EnABLed so Bernie made and layed on the 144 little pieces of DOuglas Fir that make up a set of EnABL rings just before the walnut transitiossn to the DougFir. They are a working piece of art. They work quite well.

dave

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
markaudio site have that.

CHP-90

Thanks! The other day only gen 3 popped up and today only plain CHP-90! Google is getting weirder by day for me; regardless, identical specs, so my sims are good as is.

edit: Apparently Monday was a lot tougher than I thought, I can't find a gen 3 on the MA site, so not sure what I was looking at, but it had the right specs.

Last edited: