Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

I am a happy Karlsonator owmer. Stared with a 40-1197 in the suggested .44x/.55x cabinet. It was OK, for the driver, good mids light in the bass. I have a CHP-70 which have not found a proper cabinet. Specs for the CHP-70 looked similar to the 40-1197 so in it went. Worked great. Made a finial cabinet. A perfect match for my 6V6 SEP.

Cannot find a cabinet I like for my Fostex FE-127. The specs are similar to the other drivers. Do you have a suggested cabinet size or would the .44x by .55x work?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I’ve been inspired by the recent posts and plans uploaded to give making a pair a go.

How would a 0.4x foam build match to a low power PCL82 SE build? This is a kitchen amp build for listening to the radio / streaming etc. So compact and filling the room would be useful.

And, going up in power, would a 0.53x pair go well with Pete Millett’s DCPP Engineers Amp? This is the main living room / TV / music amp, and would replace a pair of Wharfedale Emerald 93 floorstanders. I’m keen for something to give a bit more bass under less than ideal speaker positions (ie, probably close to the back wall / corner of the room with book shelves etc nearby).

I’ll use whichever driver (from the main recommended ones) I can get here in the UK cheaply & some cheap foam board from Amazon / eBay. The biggest obstacle I see will be adjusting the useful plans uploaded to fit on the ISO sizes I can get - the 30”x20” seem way more expensive...

I plan on plotting the cut lines on the foam using a MPCNC rig I’ve access to, and doing the cuts by hand.

Tristan

For low power tube amps, you really should go with the dual 3FE25-16ohms in 0.53x Karlsonator. I don't know how many watts the Pete Millet engineer amp is, but looks complex for such an amp.

Maybe try a hybrid and have the tube front end and MOSFET follower output stage - like the MoFo. That will have tube sound and about 8-10wrms output with less distortion.

But if you are a pro at making tube amps, go for the Engineer and drive the dual 3FE25's happily. I know you can get those in the UK.

The dual 3FE25 gets a very strong recommendation from me, my flea power build (1.1~1.5watt? I forget the exact number) has absolutely no problems driving it above comfortable listening volume with no issues, even in the bass region. Very noticeable improvement in power and dynamics from the single TC9 K's.

The Engineers amplifier would be a very nice match to the dual 3FE25, should easily reach party SPL levels with them.

I'm building up an EL86 push pull design for an eventual big-boy full size Karlsonator speaker build, 25w per channel should do the job nicely :)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
What's the difference? It looks like a regular Karlsonator to me - with the exception of the differently shaped internal baffle.

Very different speakers - Karlsonator is a mass loaded tapered quarter wave transmission line (ML-TQWTL) with K aperture.

XKi is a mild 6th order bandpass vented alignment with K aperture. XKi will have deeper more impactful bass is a smaller box, but Karlsonator will have a smoother broader range bass. It is not a TL at all.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hey X! I'm callin' you out!

Alright, tough guy, how about one of these in a Karlsonator-

New 15" full range- FANE

I want to build a big single-driver K, and was thinking of something like these...

Think you can run a sim?

Pretty please?

Sure, but be warned that it will be a big speaker, can you handle it? 7 to 10 cu ft thereabouts. Maybe half the size with an XKi.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Are you sure you can handle a 10 cu foot Karlsonator? Err, I meant SWMBO, can't handle the truth about big speakers. :)

You-cant-handle-the-truth.png

Anyone feel there's room in the karlsonator series for an all out sub sat system. sat choices are there thanks to the gift that keeps on giving ( Mr xrk971 )but how about an othorn sized karlsonator sub just sitting there brooding angrily in the centre. What could be achieved with some of the bigger is better drivers like this ?

PD.2450 PD2450FACEWEB.jpg

Last edited: