Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

This just happened:
Dreamt there was panic in the streets globally, because some nutters bought up ALL the 18mm ply in the world to build Karlsonator Lunatic Edition. It was really exciting, people started stealing ply from building sites to sell it on the black market. Heated discussions, people crying, actual crisis situations emerged.

I do have a fever though, just woke up sweating, had to type this down, going back to sleep now.

So, it looks like the Magnificent Monster was never built. But I really liked Freddi's sub in post 121 of that thread.

Owner of 0.4X Karlsonators and having heard 0.53X Karlsonators, I often dream, but more realistic dreams (not like KaffiMann) about Karlsonator sub/helper woofers than can double as speaker stands for the smaller 0.4X or 0.53X Karlsonators. Is there something out there like that already? What drivers can be suitable for such a woofer? Maybe an 8" like the RS225, or maybe something more budget wise?

Many people talk in praises about the Tang Band W6-1721. It's not cheaper than the RS225 though. And X would have to tell us if it works in a K enclosure.

Tang Band W6-1721 6-1/2" Underhung Midbass Driver

The cheapest drivers around are the GRS line at parts-express. Dirt cheap and used in some builds around here, namely the cheap OB thread.

Sorry, I have no idea if they are available in S A.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
DeonC, another SA fellow really wanted a big K and MOAK was the idea but his landlord probably got wind of it and said no way you are playing a monster speaker like that in my apartment! At least that’s the story I tell myself :)

For a sub, you don’t need an expensive woofer. Any moderate Qts paper cone 10in or 12in can work. Something like a Dayton classic series. DC250-8 is $30ea and 88dB and Qts 0.38. Use two for 94dB sensitivity at 2.83v in 4ohms.

Last edited:
Just curious what you are hoping for from a big K. Are you looking for chest thumping bass, or powerful, extended bass? The best way I know to get extended bass is with a BIB. E.G. this Peerless 8":
Peerless by Tymphany 830667 8" Paper Cone SLS Subwoofer
Fs=42; Qts=0.66; Vas=0.93ft3; sens=87 dB
Put it in a BIB: 14.5"w x 20" d x 81h; However: it's just for bass, so it doesn't need to stand up straight! It could lie on its side firing into a corner.

Just a thought.

I want the karlsonator sound, imaging, and look, just scaled up to jurassic proportions and power handling. Ideally (and actually, preferably) with a single full range driver. Smooth, even bass delivery, that doesn't necessarily need to go super deep. 10, 12, maybe 15" driver, although i suppose an 8" would work. i really, really like how the dual 3FE25 sound, and even at the size they are, the low end is very good. I just want something BIG that will do the same thing, and still be a single (or dual) driver solution. Maybe dual 5-6" drivers? Dual 8"? I even thought of dual PA-130, but fear they may not be as refined as something a bit better...

I want the karlsonator sound, imaging, and look, just scaled up to jurassic proportions and power handling. Ideally (and actually, preferably) with a single full range driver...

... i suppose an 8" would work. i really, really like how the dual 3FE25 sound, and even at the size they are, the low end is very good. I just want something BIG that will do the same thing...

I know what you're talking about when you say "the Karlsonator sound, imaging.." because I also have dual 3FE25 K's. But I doubt that you can scale it up and get the same "sound and imaging" because big drivers aren't necessarily full range, if at all. The experts will probably chime in here.

I'm a total noob when it comes to speakers, but I've "tasted the fruit"! :D

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
True, if you want a sub to take it below 100Hz, it’s non directional and then what matters is dynamics, transient accuracy and efficiency. A K15 while only reaching 50Hz has superb transients and sensitivity. It likes lowish Qts pro audio 99dB drivers. So a Karlson from circa 1955, not a Karlsonator.

1955 K-15:
A Speaker that Kicks Butt in Large Spaces

If you want deep bass that localized (doesn’t shake neighbors walls), try a big dual 18in driver KaZba CLS made a really impressive one and it’s his current woofer.

Rockin' the KaZba Dipole (K aperture Z-baffle Dipole)

Dual 18in KaZba:
DSCF7127_zpspekjpqcd.jpg~original

I am very happy with what I got. I have been standing on the sideline watching and considering karlson-type boxes for many years now. Now, with my apparent ban on new driver purchases. It would be very interesting to see if the FC152 is better utilized in something different, like a karlson variation.

I am not going to bite the bullet first though, have too much else going on (life happens, as they say). But am seriously considering to make new boxes if everything pans out the right way.

What is life without dreams?
I thought this forum was for fanatics? (See upper left corner)
:-D

This just happened:
Dreamt there was panic in the streets globally, because some nutters bought up ALL the 18mm ply in the world to build Karlsonator Lunatic Edition. It was really exciting, people started stealing ply from building sites to sell it on the black market. Heated discussions, people crying, actual crisis situations emerged.

I do have a fever though, just woke up sweating, had to type this down, going back to sleep now.

LOL!

True, if you want a sub to take it below 100Hz, it’s non directional and then what matters is dynamics, transient accuracy and efficiency. A K15 while only reaching 50Hz has superb transients and sensitivity. It likes lowish Qts pro audio 99dB drivers. So a Karlson from circa 1955, not a Karlsonator.

1955 K-15:
A Speaker that Kicks Butt in Large Spaces

If you want deep bass that localized (doesn’t shake neighbors walls), try a big dual 18in driver KaZba CLS made a really impressive one and it’s his current woofer.

Rockin' the KaZba Dipole (K aperture Z-baffle Dipole)

Dual 18in KaZba:
DSCF7127_zpspekjpqcd.jpg~original

Man those look GOOD :eek:

Digging through that thread makes me uncomfortably sweaty and antsy, i might stop to look at plywood on the way home from work.

Think it might work with these cheap buyout Titan woofers? I bought two to fool with and have been thinking of what to do with them, I was planning on going sealed box and low pass them at ~300hz or so, but this sounds much more interesting, and would likely work with 1/2' foamcore from hobby lobby, I can always grab another pair if I like them... i also have a spare pair of TC9FD I could pair with them.

Titan 10" Coated Paper Cone Red Surround Woofer 4 Ohm

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Haha, you got the bug! :D

Those budget drivers you got can work but in parallel they will present the ampnwith 2 ohm load. In series it is 8ohm but you lost sensitivity. On the other hand, why not just to see how it sounds. You can swap for another 8in later. Go big though - 8in was not enough for me. I suggest go big or go home. Dual 15in GRS 87dB in parallel.

GRS 15PF-8 15" Paper Cone Foam Surround Woofer