Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

A dual PA130-8 Karlsonator would certainly work well. I will have to run a sim to see how big to make the box though. It is $40 range though.

Another option might be 12in version of the Fane full range. I guess they are not $50 though.

Edit: The dual PA130-8's will work in a 0.66x Height and Depth scaling, and 0.50x Width scaling. Provides a 90dB (after baffle step losses) and -3dB at 47Hz.
Could you look at the 12 Fane? I have a couple of those. Sealed seems to be what people are doing, or maybe open baffle with a woofer below. How would a Karlsonator work?

No, it’s a totally different alignment and would have to be simulated. If you are looking for a box with a single SEAS MCA driver, that might work.

Understood, thanks. I can't run akabak on my pc but it seems the T&S are not too far away from the Dayton drivers you have modelled for the XKi.

Seeing as I have only 2 drivers at hand, at can't easily get hold of 2 more (can you imagine - Norwegian Seas does not have a Norwegian distributor at the time being!), I am wondering if I should try to build one Karlsonator or two XKi's.

Attachments

• 20200105_121931.jpg
    20200105_121931.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 357
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Understood, thanks. I can't run akabak on my pc but it seems the T&S are not too far away from the Dayton drivers you have modelled for the XKi.

Seeing as I have only 2 drivers at hand, at can't easily get hold of 2 more (can you imagine - Norwegian Seas does not have a Norwegian distributor at the time being!), I am wondering if I should try to build one Karlsonator or two XKi's.

Try a 0.50x in H & D scale and 0.40x in W scale single driver Karlsonator for the Seas MCA-12RC. It should get -3dB at 60Hz and 87dB sensitivity.

Could you look at the 12 Fane? I have a couple of those. Sealed seems to be what people are doing, or maybe open baffle with a woofer below. How would a Karlsonator work?

attachment.php

Try the Fane 12-250TC in a 1.1x in H & D scale and 1.0x in W scale Karlsonator. Should be 96dB sensitive with a very shallow bass rolloff like the 15in Fane and -6dB at 45Hz and -3dB of 56Hz. But still has -10dB at 35Hz - so very extended response. Should work well. The K-aperture will also have the natural ability to shape that rising response and remove that harshness without any electronic EQ. The model shows a typical "Karlson W" dip near 350Hz. I am not sure if the real speaker will have as deep of a dip - generally they don't so I would not worry about that too much. Often adding damping foam on the inside of the front chamber can help reduce this.

Attachments

• Karlsonator-Fane-12-250TC-Freq.jpg
    Karlsonator-Fane-12-250TC-Freq.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 1,433
Last edited:
Would an Eminence Beta12 LTA be a good choice for a full size build? It looks like you can get a pair for $94.98USD shipped direct from Eminence on their website. I initially ruled them out because from Partsxpress they're $79.99 each. I still don't know of an affordable tweeter to pair with them, unless the cheaper piezo units from GRS will work in a K-tube of some sort, as I have both GRS PZ1188 Piezo Horn Driver Part # 292-450 and GRS PZ1142 Piezo Bullet Horn Driver Part # 292-448 currently on hand.

12LTA will play ok in the little Karlson K12 - not low and not the punch of a Pyle PYM1298 (Kappa12 equivalent)

here's soprano and harp w. 12LTA - that album has mildly pronounced sibilants - but the helper tweeter needed more attenuation. IIRC the camera mic was back maybe 9 feet.

Danley's Harley bike startup recording played well with K12/12LTA - but Nirvana's Super10 ferrite in a reflex was tragic with large - useless excursions.

soprano and harp

YouTube

brushes and kick drum ("ripe") on a really beat Karlsonette type with ~12 sq.in. port in K15 position. That same cabinet with PYM1298 topped with a K-tube has more "grab" than my Klipschorn.

sloppy kick drum (sounded better in - person)

YouTube

fwiw a fudged sim of K12/12LTA

fcThkFi.png

I can't fudge a Karlsonator yet with hornresp - Akabak is needed - maybe XRK971 when he has time can run a PA165 sim for you if you ask him.

The cabinet I posted is a MLTL and a skinny pipe in this case. What tweeter might you use ?

Here are its dimensions:

Gy6KBqC.png

Ah i see, Yeah I cant run Akabak- i dont have anything old enough for that. Thats good to know its a MLTL, its what I originally wanted for these. But getting help for a noob is pulling teeth,. Im going to Pair it with a CDX1-1010