Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

I goofed on multiplying - lol - it would be 7 inches deep if 8 inches wide

4c27Vbi.png

Thanks for the help and info!

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Ah i see, Yeah I cant run Akabak- i dont have anything old enough for that. Thats good to know its a MLTL, its what I originally wanted for these. But getting help for a noob is pulling teeth,. Im going to Pair it with a CDX1-1010

Install a virtual machine and install Win XP in that. Then install Akabak in XP.

Hi,

I have been reading this thread with interest for some time, since my last project here:

TABAQ with FaitalPro 3FE22

For this project, my stated aim was to find a design with a reasonably priced FR driver that was small, but yielded a good overall response, and would be built simply with free chipboard material I have access to. The TABAQ was a no-brainer for this, and the project worked well, I have built two sets so far, with more to follow.

However, I notice that the mini-karlsonator has been built with the same driver I chose, the 3FE25 (I started with the 3FE22 but found the 25 worked just as well, and is cheaper), and I see that the enclosure is even smaller than the folded TABAQ design, so I am interested to have a go at building a pair.

As I understand it, the 3FE25 works well in the 0.4x scale version, is the correct drawing the one at post 552? I guess with the modifications in post 556?

I see that XRK prefers the 16ohm version of the 3FE25, will the 8 ohm version perform OK in this enclosure as well? Any advice is appreciated, and I just might post a Solidworks model of that enclosure once I have it clear...

If you wanted an eight inch driver Karlsonator, here's its plan by daddy of the Karlsonator, GregB
plus its response with Visaton's BG20 outdoors in a field:

I think Karlsonator12 only had lining of its stub for these graphs. Maybe the same for Karlsonator8 (?)

Karlsonator8's bulk is pretty close to that of John Karlson's K12 but Karlsonator8 is tuned ~41Hz which is
about a half octave below K12's nominal 62Hz.

[BG20 in Karlsonator8 vs BG20 in Karlsonator12

The rolloff at the top
is just from the mic not being dead on the driver's center axis.

I wonder which 8 inch fullrange which extend high would be best for a Karlsonator8 ?
XRK971 "XLi" with 8 inch is something I want to try.

Response outdoors in a field

OlJfZFc.gif

At 1/12 octave Karlsonator12 with no fill in the stub shows some dips
YTX2SLX.jpg

Karlsonator8 plan

LOZOebs.png

Last edited:
If you wanted an eight inch driver Karlsonator, here's its plan by daddy of the Karlsonator, GregB
plus its response with Visaton's BG20 outdoors in a field:

I think Karlsonator12 only had lining of its stub for these graphs. Maybe the same for Karlsonator8 (?)

Karlsonator8's bulk is pretty close to that of John Karlson's K12 but Karlsonator8 is tuned ~41Hz which is
about a half octave below K12's nominal 62Hz.

[BG20 in Karlsonator8 vs BG20 in Karlsonator12

The rolloff at the top
is just from the mic not being dead on the driver's center axis.

I wonder which 8 inch fullrange which extend high would be best for a Karlsonator8 ?
XRK971 "XLi" with 8 inch is something I want to try.

Response outdoors in a field

OlJfZFc.gif

At 1/12 octave Karlsonator12 with no fill in the stub shows some dips
YTX2SLX.jpg

Karlsonator8 plan

LOZOebs.png

THis is awesome thanks for the post- I was considering one these with 8" pa Mid and have HF as a horn on top- but i think of dumb stuff all the time lol-

I've used numerous horns with Karlson cabinets including a CTS KSN1142 piezo on a 3" x 15" horn with stepup transformer/zobel/highpass and trap on top of "K10" size, Gollehon horns, Altec horns, a 30 inch wide radial horn.

Which PA 8 mid? Karlsonator8 is tuned ~41Hz so you might want another K-box alignment.

Polyester wool vs eraser scrub pads
I used to fill the very inside chamber of my 0.53 k with polyester wool.
As dense as possible at top going less dense towards the woofers.
Now I'm back at the hobby and opened the wooden k to change a thing or two.
I wonder if it makes sense to glue eraser scrub pads all up the inner chamber and add polyester wool where it fits.

Back in this forum I recognize how rusty my English became - please apologize!

I've used numerous horns with Karlson cabinets including a CTS KSN1142 piezo on a 3" x 15" horn with stepup transformer/zobel/highpass and trap on top of "K10" size, Gollehon horns, Altec horns, a 30 inch wide radial horn.

Which PA 8 mid? Karlsonator8 is tuned ~41Hz so you might want another K-box alignment.

Not sure yet- I have a few spare TF0818- sitting in the basement I can give them a try.