Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

I've tried that already but System Info still shows 3.8.3, whereas 'Check for Software update' shows 'Last Installed package date 2017-08-28.'

Hi John,

Of course I can't rule out a bug, but the symptoms suggest stale Browser cache and Browser cache refresh needed.

I've experienced stale About and System info screens and the cure has always been to refresh browser while the screens are displayed.

If its still not sorted for, you send me an email and I'll help troubleshoot.

-Tim

Last edited:
Hi John,

Of course I can't rule out a bug, but the symptoms suggest stale Browser cache and Browser cache refresh needed.

I've experienced stale About and System info screens and the cure has always been to refresh browser while the screens are displayed.

-Tim

Not to worry, I'm enjoying the music.....:)

Update problems....

Hi John,

-Tim

This looks like the same problem I had on 3 different Pis (I posted the attempts a few days ago that I made with different browsers on different machines) when trying to in place update 3.8.2 to 3.8.3. No joy. One other one worked fine, and again has gone from 3.8.3 to 3.8.4 with no problems. The others are still on 3.8.2, and still saying no update available..... Adrian

This looks like the same problem I had on 3 different Pis (I posted the attempts a few days ago that I made with different browsers on different machines) when trying to in place update 3.8.2 to 3.8.3. No joy. One other one worked fine, and again has gone from 3.8.3 to 3.8.4 with no problems. The others are still on 3.8.2, and still saying no update available..... Adrian
Previous post on this was #9144

Hi John,

-Tim

I've researched this before - explicit cache handling works when you use links in the HTML page, but not if you use the browser's back button.

Code:
Cache-Control: no-cache, must-revalidate, no-store, max-age=0

Works for the HTML code, but not for loaded or extrapolated components, such as through JavaScript. For some reason (that will be in the RFC, but I ain't looking through it!) components served through a handler such as JavaScript get a 30-day cache period. I'm sure it's possible to force the handler to tag generated code with a max-age of zero, but buggered if I know how.

If it was me, I would be comparing the crc of the stored routine with what's on the server and if they are the same, don't reload. That would make sense from cutting down bandwidth.

So, if someone can find out how to force max-age to be zero on such items, I suspect this problem will disappear.

EDIT:

Using version control is the answer, apparently:

Code:
<script src="/Scripts/pages/common.js?ver<%=DateTime.Now.Ticks.ToString()%>" type="text/javascript"></script>

Every second the version changes, so the script is always out of date and is reloaded.

I'm no HTML coder, so could be talking out of my nethers...

Last edited:
I've downloaded 3.8.4 and have tried to flash a card using Pi Filler, but twice it's failed.

AppleEvent timed out.
AppleEvent timed out. (-1712)

Does anyone know what the problem is?

In MacOS, if an event takes more than 120 seconds, a time out is issued - that's what the 1712 indicates.

Sometimes it's a hidden dialog screen, but it could be something wrong with your SD or the img file.

I use Apple Pi Baker and Etcher - I found Pi Filler a bit poor on error handling.

I would have never expected an improvement in sound quality moving from Rune to MoOde. But I'm sure I have picked up about a 20% improvement in sound quality. It appears my DIY DAC been hamstrung by the OS driving it in the past. Not anymore.

On another forum I'm on one member did say he felt an improvement in SQ moving to MoOde. I have to agree. But it does a whole lot more to the total listening experience. I listen, un-distracted, to music 4hours a day 6days a week. So I know the sound of my system and I know it is better than it was.

I've researched this before - explicit cache handling works when you use links in the HTML page, but not if you use the browser's back button.

Code:
Cache-Control: no-cache, must-revalidate, no-store, max-age=0

Works for the HTML code, but not for loaded or extrapolated components, such as through JavaScript. For some reason (that will be in the RFC, but I ain't looking through it!) components served through a handler such as JavaScript get a 30-day cache period. I'm sure it's possible to force the handler to tag generated code with a max-age of zero, but buggered if I know how.

If it was me, I would be comparing the crc of the stored routine with what's on the server and if they are the same, don't reload. That would make sense from cutting down bandwidth.

So, if someone can find out how to force max-age to be zero on such items, I suspect this problem will disappear.

EDIT:

Using version control is the answer, apparently:

Code:
<script src="/Scripts/pages/common.js?ver<%=DateTime.Now.Ticks.ToString()%>" type="text/javascript"></script>

Every second the version changes, so the script is always out of date and is reloaded.

I'm no HTML coder, so could be talking out of my nethers...

Hi, Mike.

It's not clear to me that one wants always to reload everything.

On the Chrome browser, and apparently some others, Shift-F5 forces a reload of the current page, overriding cached content. If I have the developer tools screen open and watch the sources panel while using Shift-F5 on the MoOde Player UI, I can see the folders css through js and jsw clearing and then repopulating. It seems to me this should be sufficient to get current content when the question is in doubt. There is a comparable shortcut for OS X, I just don't know what it is.

Trouble is, I don't know an easy and reliable way to create the fault condition so I can test this solution.

Regards,
Kent

Hi, Remy.

Don't you hate when something doesn't click until after you press "send"?

My code can be greatly simplified with a simple change. Instead of defining 10 variables P1 - P10, define just one, let's say "CHANNEL". When testing the state of the buttons, set CHANNEL to zero or null at the start, then set it equal to the number of the button pressed, P1=1, P2=2, etc., if one is found.

Regards,
Kent

Hi Kent,
I managed to do it using the first method (multiple if/elif) because it is simple and transparent. I did it with radio stations and music playlist. Playlist names must not have spaces.
So far only 5 buttons out of ten are wired. I will wire the other 5 buttons during the week end, but the script is written for all 10 buttons. I did a demonstration to my wife and for the first time she realized my moOde player is not a toy. Just press a button (a real button, not on the screen) and your favorite music or radio station starts playing. I have reached my objective of making a player i can use without a screen.

Code:
pi@moode:~/hwbuttons $ python buttons.py
volume: 86%   repeat: off   random: off   single: off   consume: off
loading: Singles_Chart_Hot_100
Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee - Despacito (Remix) [feat. Justi
[playing] #1/99   0:00/3:49 (0%)

pi@moode:~/hwbuttons $ python buttons.py
volume: 86%   repeat: off   random: off   single: off   consume: off
loading: Default_Playlist
[url]http://aac-64.streamthejazzgroove.com:80/stream[/url]
[playing] #5/53   0:00/0:00 (0%)

Remy