Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Try refreshing your browser after resetting the volume limit.

Thanks jonners, but it makes no difference. If I try to change the volume, it says I'm exceeding warning volume of 20 and won't let me change it until I've changed the limit (again!), at which point I seem to be able to change the volume once, but then the next attempt to change volume brings the warning of exceeding 20 (again!).

Last edited:
I have been trying Moode with my two Pis, DIY USB DAC and HDMI audio stripper. I have discovered the stripper, which is only rated to 24/192 will play DSD64 but not well. There some clicks every now and then. My DIY DAC does play DSD64 without an issue but not any higher Rez. I'm happy with on both counts. In reality though 24/192 is high enough rez and generally $10 cheaper per download than DSD.

Thanks jonners, but it makes no difference. If I try to change the volume, it says I'm exceeding warning volume of 20 and won't let me change it until I've changed the limit (again!), at which point I seem to be able to change the volume once, but then the next attempt to change volume brings the warning of exceeding 20 (again!).

Hi @LC1979,

You can verify if the volume warning limit is set correctly by running the cmd below from an ssh terminal.

sqlite3 /var/local/www/db/moode-sqlite3.db "select value from cfg_system where param='volwarning'"

If the value is correct then the symptom you describe suggests a stale Browser cache.

-Tim

I encountered the same weird thing not so long ago with 3.8 first install.

Etienne

Hi Etienne, thanks very much, I will give that a try :)

Thanks also Tim, if all else fails I will try to verify following those instructions.

Cheers all.

(Only listened a tiny bit, but already thinking that perhaps a small audio improvement over my previous install, 382 I think. Regardless, thanks to all involved, sounding fantastic!)

Luke

Hi Tim, I am new to this forum.
I want to congratulate you for the excellent work you did, Moode is the best player of the player panorama.
I would ask you if you have you ever thought about include a ad2p sink feature, in order to use Rpi as a bluetooth player. I'm trying to find current developed softwares but it seems that all of them use pulseaudio as a driver to reproduce an a2dp stream.

I want to congratulate you for the excellent work you did, Moode is the best player of the player panorama.
I would ask you if you have you ever thought about include a ad2p sink feature, in order to use Rpi as a bluetooth player. I'm trying to find current developed softwares but it seems that all of them use pulseaudio as a driver to reproduce an a2dp stream.

Hi @badbat75,

Bluetooth is planned for moOde 4.0 :)

Thats assuming the BT implementation in Raspbian Stretch is relatively stable.

-Tim

@Kent,
Wouldn't it be nice to have such a simple UI in Moode and the ability to listen to tons of stations without cut and paste?
��
What a big step if this would be integrated in 4.x.
Cheers
Heiner

Guten Tag, Heiner.

Did you have a look at the github project I pointed out to Tim: Radiolise?

Considering Tim's positive response about the quality code in that project, I believe there's good reason to think we'll see a radio station search/select function integrated into moOde soon after the dust settles with r4.0.

My sister has lived in Munich for decades. She has a commercial Internet radio which is her source of news and classical music. It's fun to think she and I are listening to the same stations. Internet radio may not be as exciting as the shortwave listening I did in my youth, but it's a lot more satisfying!

Regards,
Kent

@badbat75

Tim and I have already have a few exchanges privately about this subject.

There was a technical issue with previous versions of Raspbian which made the integration of Bluetooth (and the necessary a2dp profile) into moOde a practical impossibility. Back around moOde r3.0 I tried several times to bolt them together and failed.

Raspbian Stretch has integrated a project (bluealsa) which removes the technical issue. I tested it a few weeks ago in a vanilla Raspbian system and found it easy to set up. In principle, the integration of Bluetooth and moOde is now "just" a matter of doing the usual alsa plumbing and adding appropriate UI features.

However, there are concerns:

1) Tim is rightly concerned about the quality and level of support of the bluealsa project. We don't want to depend on unstable code.

2) I am concerned about the audio quality of the result. The a2dp profile uses an encode/decode process to stream audio between transmitter and receiver (you can find the Advanced Audio Distribution Profile Specification at the Bluetooth org.). I have only a cheap Bluetooth speaker to test with, and use it only occasionally for background music, but there have been discussions (sometimes arguments) on other audiophile forums about the effect the Bluetooth pipeline has on audio quality.

3) What are the use cases? In my case, I would like the ability to switch between an i2s DAC driving my audio system and a Bluetooth headset when my significant other is teleworking from home. I don't want to go through a lot of steps to do this switching back and forth.

Are these practical concerns or merely theoretical? Time will tell.

Regards,
Kent

@Kent,
Wouldn't it be nice to have such a simple UI in Moode and the ability to listen to tons of stations without cut and paste?
��
What a big step if this would be integrated in 4.x.
Cheers
Heiner

Tag, Heiner.

Did you have a look at the github project I mentioned to Tim: Radiolise?

Judging from Tim's positive response about the code in that project, I think there's a good possibility that we'll soon be able to select, play, and save favorites from this galactic encyclopedia of Internet radio stations. I wouldn't expect it in r4.0 but maybe r4.1?

My sister has lived in Munich for decades. She has a commercial Internet radio in her apartment which is the source of all her news and music. It's fun to think she and I are listening to the same station from time to time. Listening to steaming radio may not be as exciting as the shortware listening of my teens (I had a wall full of QSL cards from stations around the world), but it sure is more satisfying.

Regards,
Kent

@badbat75

3) What are the use cases? In my case, I would like the ability to switch between an i2s DAC driving my audio system and a Bluetooth headset when my significant other is teleworking from home. I don't want to go through a lot of steps to do this switching back and forth.

Some points I forgot, in random order.

- The extra fiddling required to pair and connect BT source and BT sink has to be part of the UI configuration.

- The RPi0W is so cheap (sorry, @Zootalaws, there's a shelf-full at my local MicroCenter) I can always just dedicate one per BT device, in which case ease of user configuration is of no consequence.

- Is there a use case for setting up moOde Player to be a BT sink, say to 'cast something from a phone? I haven't given it any thought but again audio quality may be an issue.

- Does combined use of BT and WiFi (or USB or Ethernet) cause any issues, audible or otherwise, because of the specific hardware design of the RPi?

And, as always, just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be done.

Regards,
Kent

@Tim - for Moode 4 I would like to be able to add a currently playing song to a playlist. From what I have worked out you have to save your current playlist as a playlist add to it and the re-save? Apologies if I have missed a better way to do it that was already available...

I have also written a shutdown script for a hardware button and currently use the Linux command or is it better to use a Moode script like I have seen suggested for vol? Also want to make my rotary controller switch to pause and not mute - is there a Moode script for that or do I just write python with MPD command?

Absolutely loving Moode and just ordered a DAC for my zero to link to my Amp in the living room. Thanks for all the hard work and excellent support - looking forward to version 4!!!

Hi @jhobbs,

Enhanced playlist and collection management are on the TODO list and will probably be implemented in the 4.x series releases.

In the 4.0 release I'm moving several hook scripts from the squash read-only file system to the writable /var/local dir. This will make it much easier to hook into the shutdown sequence, Worker ready event, and possibly a new Worker-loop script that can be used to do things when Worker wakes up every 3 secs.

-Tim

If in the version 4 there will be a possibility of different "profiles", than my wish will be audiophile profile without ipv6, samba, nfs, ssh, wifi, BT and some other non audio relevant services.

I work with Unix/Linux since many years and i have Pi, Pi2, Pi3, Hifiberry, Digi, Digi + Pro, Dac + Pro, Kali, Waveio-i2s-Buffalo II at home, so i can do some beta testing. :)

...Internet radio may not be as exciting as the shortwave listening I did in my youth, but it's a lot more satisfying!

Regards,
Kent

CQ? Can you hear me? :)

My dad was a radio guy - built stations all over the Middle East and Asia, and dragged us with him. I grew up with 'here Mike, hold this' followed by a mega-load of volts - he never tired of shocking me and I never gave up trusting him...

The new ham is incredibly exciting - digital satellite, p2p mesh networks, high-altitude tracking, community radio, etc.

My dad, now in his eighties, is coding like a champ, designing all manner of digital devices - his new loves are the STM32, ESP32 and the uBlox8 which he drags me, kicking and screaming, into his nefarious plans. Picture a cross between Father Christmas and Dr.Evil :)

@badbat75

Tim and I have already have a few exchanges privately about this subject.

There was a technical issue with previous versions of Raspbian which made the integration of Bluetooth (and the necessary a2dp profile) into moOde a practical impossibility. Back around moOde r3.0 I tried several times to bolt them together and failed.

the Bluetooth org.). I have only a cheap Bluetooth speaker to test with, and use it only occasionally for background music, but there have been discussions (sometimes arguments) on other audiophile forums about the effect the Bluetooth pipeline has on audio quality.

Thanks to the aforementioned father, I had to cram a lot of Bluetooth design info (I worked alongside, but not with the Bluetooth team at Intel in Sweden but absorbed only endpoint stuff).

What needs to be understood is that Bluetooth ain't Bluetooth - there are many hardware flavours, just as there are with 802.x, and then each spec of hardware can support various software iterations from simple car control to ultra-HD multichannel audio.

With the right gear, you can get lossless Bluetooth audio at high rates, in multi-channel (5.2) but your average little $20 Chinese BT speaker or headphones aren't running that level of kit. And, as with any network device, both ends need to match to get the best rate. A cheap android phone connected to a B&W Zeppelin won't be able to give it a signal at the best rate the Zep can handle.

As well as having compatible hardware, they also need to have the right codec - and for HD audio that means aptX and CSR - the Pi is equipped with a Broadcom BCM43438... not Cambridge Silicon.

I haven't given any thought to the Pi, mostly because I don't use BT for anything other than casting files from one apple device to another but I will dive in, now I'm a man of leisure.

What I do know is that the aptX codec required for HD and lossless is proprietary and so, just as we used to register those video codecs with the Pi1 & 2, to get high quality audio over BT will need some negotiation, as well as coding, that's if you can even integrate aptX with a Broadcom chip.

You never know, it might be a doddle :)

Last edited: