Most euphoric high-end midrange you have heard?

"The majority of my CD / vinyl collection has sounded fine over the last 30 years on all number of systems / speakers.

If nearly every recording sounds bad to you maybe you need a better 'hi-fi' or a hearing test ;):giggle:"

Oh , now when I'm old and deaf I also have fun I never had for last 30 years.. Finally I could buy me some true High end speakers and listen to the Air and plankton in between sounds suspended in ether ;)
What you got over there Grandpa ? Vintage Quad amps on tired Spendor speakers with blown tweeters ;?)

Currently listening to pro 15's 80Hz - 1100Hz with 1" Cd's on horns and 4x lab12 sealed subs while I build a new version of my MEH project. All on class AB amps.
Would love some vintage tubes for my compression drivers, please post over if you have any :D

Mids on a synergy style horn are amazing btw..

Reactions: 1 user
Does your tweeter span at least an octave lower as you use them?
Absolutely.

But because of the filter - not at the intended average.

tweeter ex. if I want a tweeter that crosses over at 2.5 kHz then I use a driver that’s nearly the same Spl at 1.25 kHz as it is at 2.5 kHz on-baffle un-filtered.

mid. ex. if I want a midrange with a pass-band from 300-2.5 kHz then I make sure to select one that‘s nearly the same Spl at 150 Hz as it is at 300 Hz on an infinite baffle un-filtered.

-and of course I still look for good output relative to the un-filtered average well below that, sometimes another octave-and-a-half.

Of course if you are using elliptical filters it’s not necessary, but I don’t and I doubt many do unless they use active DSP.

tweeter ex. if I want a tweeter that crosses over at 2.5 kHz then I use a driver that’s nearly the same Spl at 1.25 kHz as it is at 2.5 kHz on-baffle un-filtered.

mid. ex. if I want a midrange with a pass-band from 300-2.5 kHz then I make sure to select one that‘s nearly the same Spl at 150 Hz as it is at 300 Hz on an infinite baffle un-filtered.
You miss a lot of good drivers that way ;-) and it's not needed.
Of course it's nice to have but what to do when you want to cross your tweeter at 1,8kHz to get more linear off axis behavior and still need a small membrane for that?
You can make that filtering work passive and active, you just can't use the same electrical filter order on low and highpass cause you have to integrate the acoustical behaviour.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLn7ZNkgo1sxrsSV2ZqgGJX2x5d5v-HAGL
Youtube compression is not doing it a favour ... but it's F..ed up anyways ...

When all recordings sound so bad on your system ... yeah, it's the recordings ;)

That's a HiFi speaker and yes - it works great for listening to music. Why shouldn't it? https://atc.audio/hi-fi/loudspeakers/tower-series/scm200aslt/
It's pretty nice actually and definitely not fu...ed up. Subscribed:) . Now ,it's not a challenging material and sounds good even on small computer setup. It doesn't have any dynamic range and that's one of the reasons for it. Everything is equally loud in the mix. I will have to transfer it on disc and listen " old style " on Cd player. .
Small dedicated labels do produce good mixes. Stop pretending that you don't understand what I'm trying to say. Vendors on hifi shows go to the lengths in selecting decent sounding tracks for their demos and the effect is that you hear the same crap all over the place. No offense but mostly " girly ambient" similar to your mix.
Like Mike T. used to say " everybody has a plan until it gets hit in the face " people subscribe to certain " esthetics" until something " hits them in the face " and make them change their mind. Some never change but refuse " to die young like promised and agreed " and suck the blood of innocent leeching on others seemingly forever.
My friend says, "we like what we like " so brands like PCM and ATC exist because a lot of people like them and also because of inertia and decay of society. I already said that I was listening to ATC Scm40 no to so long ago and I had Proac Studio monitors for extended time with that glorified tweeter called midrange. It is a technically correct speaker giving accurate sound which I don't find appealing but it's good to have in a closet to check how far into lalaland one is with exotic " euphoric " contraptions. Unfortunately most on DIY forums always want to be right and never happy and the forum is hijacked by " deaf engineers " with esthetic awareness of orangutans.:)
All the best

Unfortunately most on DIY forums always want to be right and never happy and the forum is hijacked by " deaf engineers " with esthetic awareness of orangutans.:)
So then now you are the one who want to be right with this attitude? It seems so. Just tell us what's your problem with the midrange of your speakers! If you will be honest, it will enlighten you. :cool:

Last edited:
You miss a lot of good drivers that way ;-) and it's not needed.
It’s not an absolute, nor is a lower ordered high-pass, but I’ve found that it generally applies to the sort of crossover result I favor through extensive listening with a variety of crossover results per driver. (..this is with an active digital design for prototyping.)
Of course it's nice to have but what to do when you want to cross your tweeter at 1,8kHz to get more linear off axis behavior and still need a small membrane for that?
Waveguide, or multiple drivers/array, or both. On occasion compression drivers or very small cone “full range” drivers. You can see the last example in my pic./post in the “sticky‘ed” open-baffle thread, and it’s even a baffle-less dipole design.

Time to talk about the most euphonic tweeters ?

Should one Morel ? Or should I ScanSpeak ! And what if Hivi planar ?

Pffff ! That's a Shrodinger hobby, I am to do a nervous breakdown ! People even disagree if aluminium is good or not for enclosure and so on !

Me look for an AM mono Radio, now !:cry:

Unfortunately most on DIY forums always want to be right and never happy and the forum is hijacked by " deaf engineers " with esthetic awareness of orangutans.:)
All the best
Hey some of us are engineers and also musicians 🤡

~~

Re: studio monitors
More than once I've had optimistic thoughts of running my own little studio, which is another way of saying "earning money from my music hobby" (snigger-chortle-snort!), so I've given this a lot of thought.

To be blunt, the whole "studio" labelling falls a bit flat with me. Claims of technical correctness, such as a flat frequency response seem both over-hyped and too much like a "plan B". Plan A would be amazing sound (reproduction, whatever) that basically sells itself.

That's not to promote some avant-garde "publicly funded artwork" methodology with no measurements. ( Perhaps a corrollary to Mike T. would be that some public servants who are responsible for horrible artwork in public spaces live in a fantasy world where there's no such thing as feedback, until the plebs come for them with guillotines?) It's merely to say that maybe, some ripples and non-flatness in the frequency response are better left unfixed.

Highly engineered speakers are sometimes just plain wrong. Take a FIR filter that perfectly adjusts the on-axis response of a paper cone woofer. Paper cones flex. Over-equalizing on-axis front is going to damage the off-axis and probably add distortion artifacts. Studio monitors seem far more likely to make these sort of unforced errors, like a completely unnecessary 10dB EQ boost to fix some small dip that really wasn't worth losing 10dB of overhead for! Why? Because for precision DJ-ing with one hand constantly on a tone control, the dip is going to make or break the tonal balance on a recording? (It's not). Or maybe people need pseudo-technical excuses to justify shelling out on 250W amps where 25W would suffice?

And maybe that 250W itself is a problem for high-power 3" dome mids? Like that Hifi Compass reviewer who had to leave the room when the musical Mt Everests were set to ±8V. Say that a properly filtered signal was only producing 0.5mm of cone excursion and the Xmax was 1.5mm. That's a spare 2mm of 99% useless coil that spends most of its life wasting power and adding distortion. OK, OK, I'm sure it prove very useful when it needs to play at 110dB @ 10 meters, because that's just what every artist with a desktop PC and sound card needs. Speakers that dry your hair after a shower.

So then now you are the one who want to be right with this attitude? It seems so. Just tell us what's your problem with the midrange of your speakers! If you will be honest, it will enlighten you. :cool:
No , I'm as wrong and guilty as everyone elese and I secretely devour hamburgers when nobody is watching... I would love to have a beautiful tonality in my midrange which I had a glimpses off from certain vintage cones and compression drivers. This when I play suitable music and at the same time I would like to have a ripping through energy of a garage band which is not transformed by the speaker into klezmer assembly or a wedding orchestra like its almost always the case with so called Audiophile speakers..It's impossible to achieve.
Still , a good recording goes far into making a listening session pleasurable even on lesser equipment.

ATC mid It's not an "euforic driver" . It is pretty much tonally dead as required by studio work . More of a tool really than a pleasure toy. Hardly suitable to any home application in my opinion. The topic is Euforic midrange driver not "the lowest THD driver" besides its an upper midrange driver usually crossed above human voice fundamental range.
You obviously haven't heard one then.......and this is NOT subjective.......most ATC systems used in studios are for mid field use for the clients, producers and record company staff vested in the project........these folks aren't critically analyzing the midrange.....the engineer is doing that with a beat up pair of NS-10's.

Hey some of us are engineers and also musicians 🤡

~~

Re: studio monitors
More than once I've had optimistic thoughts of running my own little studio, which is another way of saying "earning money from my music hobby" (snigger-chortle-snort!), so I've given this a lot of thought.

To be blunt, the whole "studio" labelling falls a bit flat with me. Claims of technical correctness, such as a flat frequency response seem both over-hyped and too much like a "plan B". Plan A would be amazing sound (reproduction, whatever) that basically sells itself.

That's not to promote some avant-garde "publicly funded artwork" methodology with no measurements. ( Perhaps a corrollary to Mike T. would be that some public servants who are responsible for horrible artwork in public spaces live in a fantasy world where there's no such thing as feedback, until the plebs come for them with guillotines?) It's merely to say that maybe, some ripples and non-flatness in the frequency response are better left unfixed.

Highly engineered speakers are sometimes just plain wrong. Take a FIR filter that perfectly adjusts the on-axis response of a paper cone woofer. Paper cones flex. Over-equalizing on-axis front is going to damage the off-axis and probably add distortion artifacts. Studio monitors seem far more likely to make these sort of unforced errors, like a completely unnecessary 10dB EQ boost to fix some small dip that really wasn't worth losing 10dB of overhead for! Why? Because for precision DJ-ing with one hand constantly on a tone control, the dip is going to make or break the tonal balance on a recording? (It's not). Or maybe people need pseudo-technical excuses to justify shelling out on 250W amps where 25W would suffice?

And maybe that 250W itself is a problem for high-power 3" dome mids? Like that Hifi Compass reviewer who had to leave the room when the musical Mt Everests were set to ±8V. Say that a properly filtered signal was only producing 0.5mm of cone excursion and the Xmax was 1.5mm. That's a spare 2mm of 99% useless coil that spends most of its life wasting power and adding distortion. OK, OK, I'm sure it prove very useful when it needs to play at 110dB @ 10 meters, because that's just what every artist with a desktop PC and sound card needs. Speakers that dry your hair after a shower.
yes...yes...yes......and more!

Somehow audiophools think there's some kind of standardized reference across the recording industry.....and they subscribe to a level of nonsense where things are 'supposed to sound' though $5k speaker cables. Spend a day and watch as an engineer intentionally adds distortion by over driving a mic preamp,...or running half the tracks through a Tape emulation plugin to add wow and flutter so it sounds vintage, legit, or whatever nomenclature the cult of personality chooses.

You obviously haven't heard one then.......and this is NOT subjective.......most ATC systems used in studios are for mid field use for the clients, producers and record company staff vested in the project........these folks aren't critically analyzing the midrange.....the engineer is doing that with a beat up pair of NS-10's.
I already repeated many times that I had Proac studio monitor speakers based on ATC drivers with famed mid . Also a few weeks ago I was listening to ATC SCM40 speakers sporting that drivers. All those people you mentioned are interested in one and one thing only which is $$$.
Even if you scroll through the opinions of users of ATC speakers on the net you can't escape the impression those speakers are for "netuters"

Last edited:
yes...yes...yes......and more!

Somehow audiophools think there's some kind of standardized reference across the recording industry.....and they subscribe to a level of nonsense where things are 'supposed to sound' though $5k speaker cables. Spend a day and watch as an engineer intentionally adds distortion by over driving a mic preamp,...or running half the tracks through a Tape emulation plugin to add wow and flutter so it sounds vintage, legit, or whatever nomenclature the cult of personality chooses.
That's the unfortunate truth. A lot of effort is made to produce that artificial turds with mostly heinous over processed sound.
The other truth is that there are few listeners left worthy to produce anything but a mass of "fastfood" junk.
Audiophools buy those $5k cables in a hope that they somehow transform whatever junk is fed into system into something actually listenable and worthy attention.

Hmm, we shalt start making money by selling audiophile AI agent, which would translate any song to diana krall or some other "standard" :D Or, agent that can reverse engineer any song to original sound in the original room, and the listener can then record and mix it themselves for best sound to their liking, undo all the opamps and AD/DA that the sound went through, swap 57 for u47 if they wanted to. how about that? :D

Whoring is an occupation as old as the world itself. Some do it for pleasure and some because they can't do anything else;) Some also are an artists in that trade.
Junk food is popular because it's artificially and scientifically engineered to please as many standard tastes as possible as fast as possible.
Now , if you want to call yourself an artist or offer something more you gotta have a little bit of talent, skill AND a little bit of class . Foremost you can't be a deaf , drugged for most of the time mofo;)

Also , those ATC monitors are how much exactly ? $60k for a pair of square boxes filled with 70 years old the technology used to mostly process garbage so the average folks mostly owning $100 worth of speakers are happy? Where is the sense in that since you're so eager to make fun of Audiophools.

Last edited: