My open baffle dipole with Beyma TPL-150

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
A little flashback on what happened here the last 11 months!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Nice visual of the baffle disappearing and moving over to H baffles. As I recall the iterations around
were good but just not enough bass. How not enough were they?

I'm considering using a single 15 or 18 inch nude woofer in the Neo3/Neo8/8 inch/big woofer four way I'm slowly working on. Simulation suggests that should be enough to get to 95dB or so at 40Hz. A considerably more modest target than the 119dB at 20Hz I recall the H baffles with two 21 inch Beymas delivering. I recognize, ultimately, I'll have to build something and listen to it to determine how satisfying I find it. But I'd appreciate any input you might have on the suitability of this era of the design in smaller rooms at lower listening levels.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Well... the nude 15" was XO'ed at 45 Hz. I suppose you could get down to 40 Hz with a nude 15". Problem is that it will require at least 20 dB of EQ. If that dont scare you, and you dont need very high playback levels, then it should work.

I remember that the nude 15" had very good low-mid/upper bass sound.

I suppose you could get down to 40 Hz with a nude 15". Problem is that it will require at least 20 dB of EQ. If that dont scare you, and you dont need very high playback levels, then it should work.
I settled on 30dB of EQ with the little two way I'm running at the moment. It was originally 40, but I found the cones got to moving more than I liked if I was switching from a more refined CD to a loud, bass heavy CD and forgot to turn down the volume first. :p So 20dB's not particularly scary.

Hmm, I think I'm still on my plan of starting with 15s and returning them if they don't have enough reach.

OK! All these pictures suggest your OB Experimentation Gone WILD! Nonetheless, very nice and I like a lot. Without trying all different things, you don't really know what really works. :)

A little flashback on what happened here the last 11 months!

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
OK! All these pictures suggest your OB Experimentation Gone WILD! Nonetheless, very nice and I like a lot. Without trying all different things, you don't really know what really works. :)

Yes, it did go wild.... one of the reasons is that its SO EASY to do it, especially with suspended drivers, and its fun to do experiments. There were some of those that did not work well at all. I was going backwards at some points there, but at least I learned what things that don't work.

I've actually been comfortable with the speaker for a week or two... thinking "this is it" (with no reference to the late MJ)... until a friend of mine ("valentino" on this forum) said... "why dont you try to run the woofers push-pull ...? " Just had to try it... did the same with the mids as well!

Sonically its cleaner, less grain in the entire midrange, and less "bloom" in the upper bass.

Sorry for the bad pic, taken hand-held without flash in bad light.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
The weight balance is not better or worse, just different... this config made it a bit easier to hang the drivers, so that's good.

The chassis of those Excel drivers is made from magnesium alloy, very strong stuff! No problem at all for the upper driver to hold the weight of the other drivers.

i love them in black!

is there a reason for the push-pull to work better? more similar radiation back and forth? but isn't the spider/magnet disturbing front radiation form low-mids up?? in the orions its done only on the very low section, the same that is not affected by the h-baffle the woofers are in...

Try impulse measurements - they can surprise you.

Telstar,
are you talking about the large sagittal distance between the voice coils ak. acoustic centers? Indeed it might be better to have the ACs vertically aligned and not the baffle fronts. There could be phase issues.

10 cm distance would result in 180° phase difference at 1.7 kHz. Does this apply to the midrange drivers, StigErik?

Edit: Coming too late. StigErik already answered, before I posted.

Last edited: