My open baffle dipole with Beyma TPL-150

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Yes, the acoustic centers should be offset by several cm. I did expect that there would be a large change in frequency response, but there was very little, only 0,5 dB loss at 1700 Hz, indicating minimal phase difference. Therefore I didnt bother aligning the acoustic centers.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
The positive effect of this push-pull arrangement is lower distortion and better sound. It does however not affect odd order distortion. To further reduce distortion, we must keep cone excursions as low as possible. Now the 5" mids hardly move, the 21" woofers dont either. It's the 8" midwoofers that's working hardest here. That can be improved by either adding more drivers, or to increase the XO a little bit. I will see if XO at 120-130 Hz works. Its also tempting to add a couple 8" above the 5" mids.... lets see. :)

Hmmmm - looks as if extra head room is available if sound trap is raised?? :D

Yeah :up: and after that - a lift platform for the chair to get the ear level right - LOL - seems we are awaiting even WILDER times here...

:D

But seriously, very interesting that push pull is making an audible improvement - would not have thought so.
Thanks for sharing...

Michael

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Why did you step away from the twin 12" Beyma's for this range? Also, you should be able to give the drivers some baffle without degrading dispersion.
Because I sold them and had a lot of the 8" from before.... :p

"Some baffle" will be a lot of baffle to gain any significant SPL. I dont want baffles, I want nude drivers.

Since cone excursion in an OB increases 8 times when the frequency goes down one octave, there should be a lot to gain by increasing the XO just a little bit. As I said - will look into that.

Adding more drivers was just a wild thought.. dont think that will happen actually.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Ow, come on Stig! You'd be letting us down :wchair: !
;)
Sorry guys! ;)

Did a little test today - moved the XO from 100 to 120 Hz. This reduced the excursion of the 8" woofer a lot - below half of what it was. So - what's easiest and cheapest? Four more woofers, or slightly higher XO ?:p

There's a lot to gain in moving the XO with OB's, since cone excursion is reduced by 8 times when the frequency is doubled (below the dipole peak). If 80 Hz requires 8 mm excursion, only 1 mm is required at 160 Hz.