My_Ref Fremen Edition - Build thread and tutorial

Ok, I understand what You mean. I have to look up the 627. I had been listening to it without, and it worked. But will search back. With that chip, I had spent less time, on the long run.
The other three, present candidates we have more diffused experience.
We talked about the 827 / 828.
ADA4627 - it was one of the first. I had started out without pin2-pin6 local feedback, but then, on the long run it turned out to be unstable, in certain builds. So now I suggest to use that 5pF feedback cap.

Ciao, George

Everything will be fine...

Dear friends, life is testing us right now. Here in Italy it is now clear that only other months of isolation of the population in their homes will save us. It will be tough, but everything will be fine ...
I live in Rome in a large apartment building, more than a thousand tenants overlooking a courtyard. The last person I met at my house was George, who came to see me along with his amps.
For some evenings, at dinner time, I open the window of my small music room and play a piece of music at very high volume. People, from their windows, liked and also applauded. I felt a deep emotion ...
Needless to tell you which amp!
My good FE is giving me great satisfaction, good boy! He too managed to make himself useful at the time of Covid-19. (Thank you Dario, resist, I embrace you)
Tonight I will use the amplifier that George left me. (George, don't get mad, it's for a good purpose!)
Who knows which of the two my neighbors will prefer ...
I love you
Ciao
Giacinto

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    520 KB · Views: 235
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    467.7 KB · Views: 218
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    449.4 KB · Views: 217
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    514.4 KB · Views: 214
Giacinto,

First, Stay safe. I too am listening to even more music and working on audio projects to keep busy. But if you show nice pictures like that, you will have to say more about what is in them.

I recognize the picture of your FE with George's test board. His test board always looked better than my mess. The speakers look very nice and, of course, DIY. I recognize the Metrum Amythst which you mentioned earlier.

<As an aside, I don't know if you heard, but Metrum is gone. They had a bankruptcy in February. Cees, the brains of Metrum has been bought out more than 1 year ago and now makes DACs as Sonett Digital Audio. I have 3 Metrum DACs, so I have been paying attention.>

I am most curious about the turntables. The one on the left looks like it might be a Denon direct drive? The right one?

Jac

It will work but in case of failure you could have 36V there, Penasa specs were for a 50V cap.

Apart that a 25V cap usually sound worse than a 50V one.

I agree, of course. What surprises me is how many companies are selling DC coupled amps, all components really, with no protection at all. Especially as a DIY project, I think protection is smart and adequate sizing of components is part of that. I am just a little surprised by the trend.

Jac

<As an aside, I don't know if you heard, but Metrum is gone. They had a bankruptcy in February. Cees, the brains of Metrum has been bought out more than 1 year ago and now makes DACs as Sonett Digital Audio. I have 3 Metrum DACs, so I have been paying attention.>

Bankruptcy All Engineering B.V. in Eindhoven (F.16/20/77) - FaillissementsDossier.nl

I did not believe it. I found this document of the company's bankruptcy. Cees' exit appears to be linked to the acquisition of the Italian M2Tech by All Engineering BV. This operation, about a year ago, seemed strategic in the acquisition of different conversion technology and knowledge of the USB interface and winning compared to the markets. Strange world ...

Ciao

I am most curious about the turntables. The one on the left looks like it might be a Denon direct drive? The right one?

Jac

The direct drive on the left is a Pioneer PL600x. It is perhaps not as fascinating as others, but it has a lot of concreteness. Motor and arm of excellent quality. Suspended frame very effective. Fully automatic, smooth movements, very comfortable to use. With this turntable you put records after records as in teenager afternoons. Play with a Denon DL110.

On the right is my "Frankenthorens". It is a Thorens TD321, replaced the lower cover in very resonant steel with a small anti-resonant plinth (dampened with lead inserts). Graphite, marble and rubber form the basis. Replaced mat: lead + leather. Replaced wall tranformer: toroidal + emi/rf filter. The arm is an Audiomods Classic II. Play with a Goldring 1042.

Both of them really like My_Ref FE. And I apologize for going off topic

Ciao
Giacinto

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    557.2 KB · Views: 233
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    627.4 KB · Views: 203
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    561 KB · Views: 189
A glimmer of hope

It can be a very hard, cold world. Putting something together that brings pleasure to others and yourself can help.
We have just started the lockdowns in the US. California only today. New York will be soon. Washington state too
Glad warm weather is already here. In 80’s now, so 28C. Supposed to help.
Stay active, physically and mentally.

Instead of costly Z-foils in the bridge, we have also found a quite good solution, still with more human cost. The new Susumu RS series for audio.

There are problems: they are available (Mouser) only certain size and parameters (precision).

Though we found that pieces from the same strip are closer to each other less than 0.1 %, in practice (tested with precise benchtop meter)
So they can be used; they also come in 0805 only -- this is a more serious problem.. though.. with a lot of blood swear..t and tears - something like this can be done:
Hi George, noticed this post of yours.While i was preparing my upgrade BOM for Myref noticed Mouser has all values in 1206 package from Rs Audio series.
Would be a good idea to replace all smd resistors with Rs audio series?

What do you think Dario?

Last edited:
Hi George, noticed this post of yours.While i was preparing my upgrade BOM for Myref noticed Mouser has all values in 1206 package from Rs Audio series.
Would be a good idea to replace all smd resistors with Rs audio series?

What do you think Dario?

That is good news! It could have saved me acrobacies like this ..
thank You for signalling..

Attachments

• 20181025_185751.jpg
    20181025_185751.jpg
    510.4 KB · Views: 161