Revisiting some "old" ideas from 1970's - IPS, OPS

Thanks. I've noticed a bit of offset happening in the Slewmasters with the dual rows of outputs when running at higher rail voltage for a few hours. The top row runs hotter. Ostripper noticed it too. Feedback was able to correct it, but it's not ideal. This one would likely do the same.

Yes, this is a good point - on a vertical heatsink, the higher - the hotter. So, for these 2-rows designs, the ideal heatsink orientation is the ribs-up, on the "roof" of the compartment.

I'm building a pair of monoblock Slewmasters with the boards standing vertically with the outputs mounted close to the bottom of the heatsink. This seems to work well too. I'm using a Wolverine input on it. I've noticed quite a difference in high frequency detail difference from the Vertical.

Last edited:
Hi Terry,

Actually, these are the "standard" heatsinks:
WAKEFIELD SOLUTIONS 637-20ABP Heat Sink, 34.9x50.8x, Square, Black Anodized, Wave-Solderable, TO-220, 9.17 °C/W, 50.8 mm, 34.9 mm

PCB is prepared exactly for them. Drivers run in pure class A, controlled by the constant current sources, so they are always pretty warm - this is one of the specialties of this design. Jeff uses the sinks with the same part number. However, simple aluminium plates will also work.

Last week, Marc (idefixes) has slightly re-designed the layout for the output devices NJW3281/1302, it also has 90 degrees drivers orientation, in one line, so that they can share the same aluminium plate - in this case, PCB length is only 220mm. So, for the future builders, this option is also available.

Cheers,
Valery
It must be an optical illusion. I used the heatsinks you linked. They just looked taller to me in your pictures. I haven't done anything with mine since I found I had fake transistors. I'm still trying to get myself to invest in more Sankens. I already drilled and tapped the heatsinks for those so I don't really want to change to TO3P devices if I don't have too.

Blessings, Terry

I'm building a pair of monoblock Slewmasters with the boards standing vertically with the outputs mounted close to the bottom of the heatsink. This seems to work well too. I'm using a Wolverine input on it. I've noticed quite a difference in high frequency detail difference from the Vertical.

Did you use the Vertical with the same OPS as you are with the Wolverine?

so why confuse me as well by changing the name from DC2 to Vertical?

Isn't that normal in the audio world? Everything gets a confusing name.

Attachments

• Miller_Genuine_Draft.jpg
    Miller_Genuine_Draft.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 429
I think, in the minds of many people, involved in audio engineering, the word "vertical" is very much related to the word "MOSFET" :D

Not in this case ;) Nothing to do with MOSFETs :p

For those, who'd like more structured presentation - see my website, following the link below (in my signature).

VERTICAL is my symmetric CFA front-end, utilizing the idea of the complimentary differential circuit, mentioned in the very beginning.............

This is a different topology, comparing to the one in the first post, and its two complimentary (vertical) differential circuits form a really Vertical structure.

So VERTICAL is the name of particular front-end section, shown in the post #408.
Then it was "in the very beginning" and now it's become "in the post #408"