SKA GB150D now public domain...

And with 500mA bias the midrange is to die for! Beautiful female voices! The thing is that the highs are less present and the sound is less "exciting". It's more a "fat" sound. Also the amp sounds less loud, although the volume is kept unchanged. Is all this the result of less distortion?

If you think the high is not good enough, I think it is because the slew rate is low. According to my simulation, the slew rate is 30V/uS.

For +-55VDC power supply, usually I made slew rate at least 55V/uS in simulation of my amplifier.

I didn't know the slew rate correlated with voltage. I'm using 50V rails. Maybe the input LP filter could be modified for better slew rate?

Distortion cause by limitation of slew rate is different than LP filter effect. LP filter is linier but slew rate distortion is not linier.

You can compare low slew rate of op-amp (like 4558) with relative high slew rate op-amp (like NE5532) with and without LP filter at the input.

My version of this amplifier (TGM7), from what I remember, had nothing 'wrong' with the treble, just clean and undistorted. I need to listen to it again in case I'm missing something that you fellas find a concern.

Have you tried running it at higher bias? Did you noticed some difference to the sound?

It's not something wrong with the teble, it's different bias values result in different sound, higher bias decreases the treble. Maybe this is because current at R24/26 decreases as bias is increased, resulting in less slew rate. Or maybe is my perception of less distortion. I don't know.

Last edited:
Hi folks,

I made a GB150 board based on Zener mod and 2240/970BL, about 10*10cm.
I tried to use some better CCS for 9mA, but due to size limit, I gave up:)
So, LED and resistor are used as schematic do.

Attachments

• SIL.gif
    SIL.gif
    319.8 KB · Views: 509
  • SCH.gif
    SCH.gif
    76.1 KB · Views: 508