Slewmaster - CFA vs. VFA "Rumble"

Τhanks for replying. I am using BC550C for input pair matched with a beta of around 531. The rest of small signall transistors are TSC2240 GR, TSA970 GR
with a beta of around 320 for the npns and 340 for the pnps.
These yellow leds have a voltage drop of 1.84V each so i guess its fine....For R7/R8 i m using 100ohm resistors. Offset is about 20mV (i dont remember whether positive or negative) even even after 15minutes..

Can anyone who has built kypton v check output offset and post?

About sound impressions.. it has very clear highs...like giving more emphasis in frequencies above 3khz but it lacks a bit at low frequencies.i think kypton C is better there...maybe i have made a mistake somewhere...But these are very personal tastes,depending on equipment used,componnents used so they cannot be taken for granded.

531 is quite the beta on the IP.. Increase value on R7/8 to = or >100R.

I'm grading ksa1015's now - beta is only @200.

OS

I checked all parts of kypton-V but i didnt find any mistake.Offset is about -20mV . I replaced TL072 with another one and offset was better at about 9 to 10mV. The sound of this amp (Kypton-V without ) is marvellous!!! Kypton-C sounds like a combination of CFA amp with some tube characteristics,An excellent one!

I'm glad you like the kypton's - show some photo's :) .

I loosely predicted some of the "C" 's characteristics with the simulator. It has one
of the most lovely rounded overload response's of all the amps (the baxandall VAS).

The "V" could have a different "sound" because of the "oddball" loop gain response
and super low PSRR that only it has.

OS

Me !! I don't build - I just design ... :D

Actually , I'm on the last "round" of IPS's :( .

Only 2 lowly "spook's" and a special sub-woofer "wolverine".(below).

By January , I'll have my test amp and a new HP1005 toner cartridge to
print out whatever I want.

OS

Attachments

• old-VFA.jpg
    old-VFA.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 369
Ha, anyone can get one of Jason's boards working. We need you working on the tough ones. :D

I did notice 2 discrepancies on the spook/wolverine.

Spook comp. capacitors are marked "220" ?? These are actually 22-47pf .

On the wolverine , I might not of "standardized" the 5.5ma VAS current yet ....
(2'nd oldest design). R23/150R would be 120R for a rock solid 5.6ma at the
big CCS. Otherwise , the layout and grounding of these PCB's should really
make for a fast , quiet amp :) .

Also - the wolverine R5 = 150R for the middle adj. (95R) of the 200R
"CCS adj" = 3.6ma . Even as this is going to be a"grunt" amp (SUB) , why
not make it right ?
Edit - wolverine Q10 was changed from the original designs to-126 , no real issue.
Hey - my soldering iron has not been plugged in for over 4 years !!!

OS

Last edited:
The capacitors are IEC marked, as indicated on the board, so 220=22pF (22x10^0) which though it has confused some is not a discrepancy. Only values under 10pF would be directly marked as per IEC guidelines.

Resistor R23 and R25 values are as per the v1.2 / v1.3 schematic without substitution. Q10 was changed to a TO-92 part as there was no need for it to be a TO-126 and doing so made routing just a little easier. That was a pure convenience move and also gave a little more visual symmetry, even though there isn't really anything symmetrical about the design.

I was just worried , some "villagers" (like me) , might plunk big caps in there.
Great for a sub amp , but not for "audiophile".

I adjusted my simulations to the actual boards , all is well. Just the 5.5ma change
to the "wolverine". This will allow for a perfect swap to audition different IPS's.

Edit - the IEC sucks ! 2 different coding schemes on chinese resistors ... the blue resistors make it hard
to see the colors anyways - read em' all with the meter. GONE are the days of radio shack where I could
read a resistor value across the room.
Same with caps - some are xxx N , some are whatever ?? There seems to be no standard with asian sourcing.
OS

Last edited:
This is all my collection!!! :D CFA-X is the one with the red leds,Kypton-C is the one with the blue leds,Kypton V is the one with the yellow leds. I started building Infidel but due to the thermal problem i stopped..

Attachments

• DSC_0290.jpg
    DSC_0290.jpg
    403.4 KB · Views: 519
  • DSC_0288.jpg
    DSC_0288.jpg
    415 KB · Views: 503
  • DSC_0286.jpg
    DSC_0286.jpg
    401.8 KB · Views: 473
  • DSC_0274.jpg
    DSC_0274.jpg
    471.6 KB · Views: 461
  • DSC_0295.jpg
    DSC_0295.jpg
    914 KB · Views: 421
  • DSC_0281.jpg
    DSC_0281.jpg
    507 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
Thank you all for your nice comments. :) I am using +-36V rails,i changed zener diodes to 1.5K/1Watt. In CFA-X I saved one trimmer by replacing it with a fixed resistor. In Kypton C i am using 2.2K/82 for feedback resistors and 47p for compensation.

What led colour did you plan for the infidel?

Jay , i still have orange and green to use! :D

That's some perfect toner work. Greeks are top craftsman !

You think the Kypton V/C are ready for action - no issues ?
PS - since you have Kypton C - is it better than CFA-X ?
Edit - I think I have infidel solved - I will release NEW TT artwork soon.

OS

I dont have an oscilloscope to test and abuse the ips's a bit so i cant tell for sure.Thimios and Terry have made a very good work here! I have been listening all of the three ips for more than half an hour in medium levels and high levels with no problem.
I believe CFA-X and Kypton C are surely ready for action.As far as Kypton V goes, i m concerned about the compensation scheme and the stability margins it gives. i would aim at a gain margin of >=20dB and a phase margin of >= 81 degrees.Can you suggest part values to achieve this?
Despite its small amount of parts,CFA-X sounds very good too. Personally ,i prefer Kypton C to CFA-X. Its like a CFA with tubish sound!