Slewmaster - CFA vs. VFA "Rumble"

I was thinking , Jeff .....

We should "modularize" the power supply section. 2 of these "uni-caps" and a
7-8" "L" shaped pre-drilled bracket.
I've seen so many projects where they just place the caps "where-ever" and
don't utilize the available space in a standard 3U-4U enclosure.

As far as total capacitance , 40mm panasonics (4-pin) go to 12.5Kuf @ 100V.
50Kuf per board. The H/K 990 (200W amp) uses 4 X 6800uF per channel. :eek:

PS - this would require getting the "uni-cap" PCB to 125mm length , to accommodate a 3U enclosure
(135-140mm inside height)...
Edit - Even better , they could mount the soft start and any other AC "stuff" on the back side.
Just 2 holes in the case for everything ( I'm doing this with 2 - 5 X 7" "L" brackets). 1 more big hole for
the trafo. That's it.
OS

Last edited:
I was thinking , Jeff .....

We should "modularize" the power supply section. 2 of these "uni-caps" and a
7-8" "L" shaped pre-drilled bracket.
I've seen so many projects where they just place the caps "where-ever" and
don't utilize the available space in a standard 3U-4U enclosure.

As far as total capacitance , 40mm panasonics (4-pin) go to 12.5Kuf @ 100V.
50Kuf per board. The H/K 990 (200W amp) uses 4 X 6800uF per channel. :eek:

PS - this would require getting the "uni-cap" PCB to 125mm length , to accommodate a 3U enclosure
(135-140mm inside height)...
Edit - Even better , they could mount the soft start and any other AC "stuff" on the back side.
Just 2 holes in the case for everything ( I'm doing this with 2 - 5 X 7" "L" brackets). 1 more big hole for
the trafo. That's it.
OS
I'm having trouble visualizing what you mean. Can you post some sort of sketch?
Is this enough capacitance for a big power stereo amp? Slone's rule of thumb was 10000uf/rail/100 watts That would be around 60000uf for stereo 70 volt rails.

You know the 5 X 7" brackets you made me ??

A pair of these boards ( if shrunk down to 127mm /5") would fit perfect.

The PCB would then be 89 X 127mm , 2 of them would fit the "L" like
a glove. Caps/boards would be vertical , only taking up 180 X 90mm chassis space.

I still need to use those 50mm X 35mm snap-in's , my case only has 180mm X
65mm for the caps.

As far as sloan's rule - OVERKILL. H/K uses only 30Kuf per channel. My
"special" board will be 40Kuf /ch , "uni-cap" can be 50K.
I would rather have 4-6 caps at 40-50Kuf total , than 2 big ones @ 60+K. Caps in parallel perform better (ESR/ripple).

OS

Okay I get it. You're talking multiple boards. I'm using 8 10000uf caps in my 63 volt stereo chassis I'm building. They are on a board the same dimensions as the protection board is on. I designed them to stack to a total height of around 4 1/2".

Yes , that orphan board you are making is for 12 X 6800uF = 81.6Kuf

Here is a good link for electrolytics .... Checking Caps
He has much lower estimate for capacity " 1,000 uf or more per ampere" ... more
akin to the OEM choices.

My 1KVA trafo is rated 20A - I'm in line with 80k. I will also have 1/2 the ESR and
less ripple than "big caps". Also , according to the article - 75-80V on a 100V
cap is nearly ideal to give the longest lifetime ..... it forms the ideal oxide layer.
("forming and reforming caps -section").
EDIT - this article will make me power up my cap banks at 40V rail "burn-in" ....
there is a capacitor "burn-in" , after all (to initially form the oxide layer).
OS

Last edited:
Yes , that orphan board you are making is for 12 X 6800uF = 81.6Kuf

Here is a good link for electrolytics .... Checking Caps
He has much lower estimate for capacity " 1,000 uf or more per ampere" ... more
akin to the OEM choices.

My 1KVA trafo is rated 20A - I'm in line with 80k. I will also have 1/2 the ESR and
less ripple than "big caps". Also , according to the article - 75-80V on a 100V
cap is nearly ideal to give the longest lifetime ..... it forms the ideal oxide layer.
("forming and reforming caps -section").
EDIT - this article will make me power up my cap banks at 40V rail "burn-in" ....
there is a capacitor "burn-in" , after all (to initially form the oxide layer).
OS

I'll be around the same ballpark as you then. I put 80 volt 3000hr/105C caps with ripple current of approx. 12 each at 60C in this one. My transformer is rated for 11.1 amps/rail.

If i can understand electrolytics, with a chemical process, can vary their characteristics with time and currents, what the hell can happens in a metallic wire and a magnetic core ?

Hehehe nothing happened with the metallic wire and magnetic core of course. I just didn't want to waste time troubleshooting the power supplies. It's just broken so I pull another power supply.

Same with amplifiers. If it doesn't work at first power up (no variac, no light bulb, no fuse), I throw it and build another one. I don't even bother to pull out the parts for reuse :D

Hehehe nothing happened with the metallic wire and magnetic core of course. I just didn't want to waste time troubleshooting the power supplies. It's just broken so I pull another power supply.

Same with amplifiers. If it doesn't work at first power up (no variac, no light bulb, no fuse), I throw it and build another one. I don't even bother to pull out the parts for reuse :D

It is garbage's such as yours which I seek. :D such ample resources must be a
great privilege.

OS

What is the postage from Jakarta to India for such "Garbage" for 1Kg ?

I will accept your "garbage" :D. (Kirim saja ke saya mas :D )