Slewmaster - CFA vs. VFA "Rumble"

Hehehe you guys need to read my words clearly, especially if I put certain words inside a double quote. I didn't throw it to the garbage bin of course. I throw it to my "junk" box(es). I have plenty of amp modules (working and not working) in big boxes. I have never revisited any of my old projects from tens of years ago. I prefer to create a new fresh one. I have several hundreds of fancy output transistors waiting to be used :D

I'm not really coming up with a vertical supply board design that I like. The heat from the TO220s is an issue. I'm thinking maybe mount them under the board on the mounting plate.

That's actually the best option - the "infinite heatsink".
Consider the device ...
a typical 30-40A device http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/196/IDP30E60_2_5-79626.pdf (infineon 30A) will be rated to 175C .
Besides being able to run much hotter than an output tranny , dissipation is mostly
just conduction and switching loss.

I have a Tabbed 10A bridge on my "tester PS" mounted on a 25 X 75mm strip of
AL. I have never felt it more than warm running a 100W load with a connected
amp.

(Below) is what I've seen even on 20A industrial power supplies costing 1K$ or
more. These also are common on ebay/DIY modules.

If the builder was at the >20A or greater level , the external full bridge option
would be used.

OS

Attachments

• to-220 heatsink.jpg
    to-220 heatsink.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 386
I figured they wouldn't run very warm. My concern is that most likely the input end would be the bottom. Any heat dissipation would be straight into the caps.

I'm doing the opposite , my rectifiers feed into the caps from the top and the outputs
to the amps come out the bottom.

BTW - those Kypton-C's are nice. - I will finally hear a true CFA. I see the reversed
LED pads. How did Y'all wrap your output coils ? I'm at the IPS/driver stage bench
test stage now ....

OS

jwilhelm,
That just doesn't sound right to me. A change in diameter shouldn't change the inductance I don't think, isn't it strictly the number of turns that sets the inductance. Unless you are building inductors for high current and have saturation I don't think the diameter changes much of anything besides the dcr impedance if I am remembering correctly.

Some boards have staggered holes at each end. I have seen where guys swear that winding counter clockwise gives a different result that clockwise.

That's a bunch of whooey ... directional resistors , anyone ? :D
The direction of the whole coil .. I'll believe. (Self's book)
The only references to winding "voodoo" were in those sites that had NO formulea
to back it up (subjective ??).
OS