Some speaker driver measurements...

So WHY isn't there a NEO version of the SB26ADC ???

And please upgraded with a titanium carrier for the voice coil wire!

Btw , the recently updated 22mm (Neodym) dome tweeter by Wavecor is a very promising product!

Hey at PETT (discussion forum of parts express) they even asking from time to time their customers what they wanted to be designed! (dayton audio drivers)
Cool service , Visaton in german has an own forum but nowadays it fell out of favour with the decline of speakerbuilding over the years!

Yes when I think back to the times where the Madisound forum was running hot on DIY it was much more lively those days maybe 20 years ago ... are we some sort of dinosaurs now?

bye - big & ugly with a long neck :)

Just a surround dip, nothing out of the ordinary?
Always happens with a big mismatch in mechanical/acoustical impedance.

Btw, nobody is talking about that the bottom part of the basket is 100% just for looks apparently and doesn't seem to have any function whatsoever? (look at the gap between)
That's also one way to blow your budget up :D :D

1696357739223.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
This 1k dip is often with "underdamped" constructions and a low loss surround. To be honest when listening to these chassis it's often way less problem as the measurements tell. But in this case it's pretty strong, I would not use it in that frequency range.
Also what's going on in the waterfall just below that frequency? No indication in the other measurements?

ARTA doesn't show the peak in 3rd and 5th harmonics. I'm so happy I don't have to deal with this software any more ...

Reactions: 2 users
I agree. All the Scanspeak bass mid drivers have this wiggle and impedance peak. Its usually not audible under most circumstances. Id rather have an under dampened surround than one causing a lower Qms, which will swallow low level details. Most of the better sounding cone drivers have a bunch of very small wiggles in the impedance curve, which indicates a lively cone. As long as there aren't any significant resonances thay ruin of axis performance, I'd choose that type of driver over a very low Qms one. My favorite 8" midbass is the B&C 8NDL51 which has a whole bunch of little bumps in the impedance curve, but is otherwise very well behaved.

Reactions: 3 users
Joined 2005
Paid Member
The ScanSpeak peaks are definitely audible… once you heard it you cannot stop hearing it. The one thing is that it’s possible to notch it out with a series notch filter. I’m commenting on the 18W/8535 or 8545 in particular.

I have no direct experience with the 8542 (nylon/paper) or 8546 (Kevlar) or 8543 or 8544

With speakers that are have lightweight pulp cones, the upsize is the high sensitivity, the downside is the multiple resonances (seen in both the amplitude and impedance trace)

I guess it depends on what you feel are the tradeoffs that you have to put with.

Incoming PM to you @profiguy

Reactions: 1 user
The 8542 is their best paper cone driver IMO. It does the most things right and doesn't have the shouty lower mids at higher levels. The foam surround probably has alot to do with that.

I'm not that big on the 8545 as other people are. Those sound congested in the mids compared to other higher end 7" drivers. The slit cone models are very good,,specifically the 18M8631T. Its just shamefully expensive for a 7" mid, but its likely one of the best dedicated large mids, mainly because of that foam rubber surround. Most rubber surrounds dampen way too much, which sucks the life out of the upper mids.